Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I don't have a clue where to start on this one.

My air horns have worked fine for 2 years. About a month ago I hit the horn button and got only the atandard auto horn. Tried again later and found it took about a second between the time you pressed the horn button down and the air horns started. Tried again yesterday and now the air horns don't come on at all.
Yes, the dash switch is on and the light on it is lit.
Any ideas?

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #2
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I don't have a clue where to start on this one.

My air horns have worked fine for 2 years. About a month ago I hit the horn button and got only the atandard auto horn. Tried again later and found it took about a second between the time you pressed the horn button down and the air horns started. Tried again yesterday and now the air horns don't come on at all.
Yes, the dash switch is on and the light on it is lit.
Any ideas?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
You might want to check the solenoid valve that feeds air to the horns. One possibility is that it's sticking or worn ot. You can take it apart and clean it.

Good Luck
W8RLM - Bob
Old 08-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

PDB;
I had the same problem. It quit blowing and than 1 day it blew and would not quit. I called Hadley and they told me to take the solenoid valve apart and clean it. I believe I down loaded instructions from their web site. It was fine after that. I believe the problem is moisture accumulation in the tank. Mine does not have a drain and I bet yours does not either. I took the whole tank off and cleaned the sludge out of it. It had lots of rust from all the water. If mine gives trouble again and I am sure it will, I will install a drain valve in the tank and drain it regularly.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
PDB
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your help. If I could prevail upon you for one more thing---- where is the @#$%^& solenoid?
I prowled around under the hood, found all sorts of air lines, but nothing that looked like what I found on the Hadley web page.
BTW, I couldn't find any instructions on the Hadley site, either. I'm still Googling various combinations of phrases to see what I can find.
Paul

Old 08-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

PDB;
Those off us with gas engines have an electric pump and tank for the air to power the horns. I see you have a diesel and I suspect your air horns are powered by the air from your brake system, Call the Winnebago help line and they can probably tell you where the solenoid is. I would think it would be near your air system for your brakes.

Good luck;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
On a FCCC DP chassis the solenoind should be right under the drivers area. Crawl under, pull the wires to the standard horns and have someone press the horn button. You should hear a clicking sound which is the solenoid.

Also, FCCC DP air tanks have water drain/release valves. Unfortunately, the steel cable lanyards (one for the front tank and one for the rear)is attached to the chassis frame behind the pasenger side wheels. The FCCC service guide says the tanks should be drained/vented once a month.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

You should find your solenoid valve directly behind the metal plate which has your air manifold guage and air line connector mounted to the front of it. Uppen right as you look in with the "hood" open.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

What does the air horn solenoid on a DP Winnebago look like? How many wires and hoses is hooked to it? About what size is it? The solenoid on my 2004 Meridian DP had to be replaced before it was 7 months old so I assume it probably won't last forever and I'll just replace the next one myself if I can find it.
Thanks.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote