Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

This post has got me started on it. It's been very cold here in the Northeast and it's not much fun to work when it's in the teens.
I cut the sides at 8 1/4 high which seems to be about right. I am scrapping the idea of using a normal type of drawer bottom with the lauan and will go after more 1/2 inch plywood tomorrow to use instead. Won't be that heavy and will be much stronger.
Plus I have decided to get some 3/4 inch birch plywood to make two end caps and replace the factory pieces. Some stain and urethane and it will blend in nicely. I had to make two shelves for above the sink already as the factory one bent under the weight of some cans and assorted food items. They blended in fairly close with the existing cabinets using minwax golden pecan stain. Plus with adjustable brackets I fit two shelves in place of the factory one.
With new end caps, I will be able to put the coach back to factory stock when I go to sell. Then the seat belts will be right there for the next person who might use them. On another note, It will save me having to go through this again with the next coach. Even if the end caps I make don't fit the drawers surely will. I am pretty sure all coach dinettes are very close in size. and most likely I will end up with another Winnebago as I do like the product. -- I was even thinking about doing this way back with the adventurer to make the drawers bigger.

I am getting anxious for spring already
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Getting there, slowly but surely.
One side is almost done.
Rollers arrived and I found a 3/4 inch thick oak veneer plywood at lowes. It was partly damaged so they gave it too me for 20 bucks. I only needed enough good area to make two end pieces so it fit the bill perfectly. It is a bit too red so I ordered a two part bleach kit from my local paint supply store to try to take out the red so I can use my minwax golden pecan to match the rest of the cabinets. Regular, non veneer,red oak boards match very closely with just a urethane over them and no stain, but for some reason this veneer is so red stains don't have any effect unless they are dark brown. I drove the poor guy nuts at the box store trying out a bunch of different colors on some scrap pieces.

Next step is to cut the hole for the drawer in the end cap and make a drawer front probably out of solid red oak.
I am happy so far, the drawer pulls out easily yet there seems to be enough friction so it might stay in place without a hasp to keep it closed, but that will remain to be seen The height of the drawer is enough to keep it from falling downward after it is pulled out as it rests against the bench seat support on the back. I may add a board on the other side for this purpose also.
Measurements I worked out were 41 1/2 long, 8 inch high, and 19 1/2 wide. Nice and big. I may have to add some lauan dividers but again that is later.

Here are pictures:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562818738bdRzVX
Old 03-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Finished product

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...03212707ofRzwJ

I used a roller catch to prevent the drawer from opening, placed in top front corner of drawer. I might have to use two but won't know till the first outing of spring

I know I'm slow but it's been mighty cold outside!!!