Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

A Bit Disappointed in Forest City Today...

We're currently in southern Minnesota visiting family and I had planned to drive down to Forest City to have several things taken care of on my coach in the three weeks we're going to be here. I called this morning to book an appointment and was disappointed with the result.

After not accepting appointments in July due to GNR, I learned that their first available appointment is now September 20th. When I explained that I could be very flexible if they had cancellations or any "wriggle room", she told me I could show up at 7am each morning but it might take 2 or 3 days to work me in. That was fine with me but then she explained that they would not honor my extended warranty (purchased with the new coach from a Winnie dealer) on non scheduled appointments.

So.... I'm still a Winnie fan but don't feel very loved at the moment.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't know about the warranty side of things, but we arrived on Thursday of the rally with no appointment, went into customer service and put our name on the list, and the next day at 1:30 they took us in the shop.

The work wasn't finished that day, so we stayed over the weekend, and they worked on it all day Monday & Tuesday, and half a day Wednesday. We were very pleased with the extensive work we had done, and with how fast we were taken care of.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yeah Nick, I was really impressed with my last visit there as well. I guess they feel that dealing with an extended wty company eats up too much time but not sure how that differs from if I had an appointment. She just offered me no options.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Russell View Post
I don't know about the warranty side of things, but we arrived on Thursday of the rally with no appointment, went into customer service and put our name on the list, and the next day at 1:30 they took us in the shop.

The work wasn't finished that day, so we stayed over the weekend, and they worked on it all day Monday & Tuesday, and half a day Wednesday. We were very pleased with the extensive work we had done, and with how fast we were taken care of.
Hi Nick,
Could I possibly ask what 3 full days labor set you back? If they had your coach for parts of 4 days did you get charged for 8 hours each full day and 4 hours on the 1/2 days? The last time I was there for some damage insurance work they charged me 1/4 hours labor ($24.95) to open the refrigerator door and tell me the frig needed replacing because the door heater pins were overheating. I need to possibly go there again for some repair work in the near future but would like to have some idea what it will run.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rick, they have some part time help working at the service counter, a college girl. She may be who you talked to. I'd suggest you call back and ask for Rebecca, she seems to be in charge of scheduling. It is on a first come basis, but I just got off the phone with friends who just checked in there in this morning, and a little after noon their coach was in the shop.

Wagonmaster, we had a lot of work done due to the fact that the former owner of our coach ignored routine maintenance. We had both slide seals replaced, both slides adjusted, our roof recaulked, several leaks fixed, an air chuck installed in the generator compartment, the air manifold fixed, the cover that slides out over the step in front of the passenger seat repaired, new springs installed on all four of our leveling jacks, the door adjusted from where I sprung it slamming it on the burglar's hand back in December, and some little adjustments made here and there.

We paid for 1/2 day on Friday and Wednesday, and 8 hours each on Monday & Tuesday. The bill wasn't cheap, but it was actually less than quoted at a dealer in Arizona for just the slides. All work was performed to our satisfaction, they were witrhin the time frame quoted, and I would not hesitate to go back again.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Service

I called 3 weeks ago and my appointment is not until Aug 30.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes, appiintments are scheduled several weeks out. But if you have time, you can just show up and go on the standby list, which is what we did.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Old 08-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I would go and wait the 2 or 3 days to get in. Maybe ask Rebecca before going down how long it has been taking for drop in's. We were there for a month or so and the wait wasn't too long. Get to know Forest City and the area. Possibly you could ask if you could leave it and go back to Minnesota and return in 2 or 3 weeks to pick it up. They were great too us and will work to do what they can to make you happy.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
I would go and wait the 2 or 3 days to get in. Maybe ask Rebecca before going down how long it has been taking for drop in's. We were there for a month or so and the wait wasn't too long. Get to know Forest City and the area. Possibly you could ask if you could leave it and go back to Minnesota and return in 2 or 3 weeks to pick it up. They were great too us and will work to do what they can to make you happy.
Thanks Jerry. Actually I think I'll go down and try to get in for the work which I REALLY want the factory to do, like caulking, and wouldn't be covered under extended wty anyway. Leaving it isn't really an option because we full time and live in it. DW might be ok on dad's couch for a few days but my 6'6" frame just isn't going to do that.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I think we got there on a Friday and went in Tuesday. So the wait may not be bad. We were there the end of June and went to the GNR but we did not have an appointment. We did have an appointment with CDI but that is a different matter. If possible I would also like the factory to do the work.
Maybe the extended warranties (I don't have one) can be a hassle since I guess they have to authorize work before done and the fine print that may be different than what the owner thinks is included. Back and forth time involved that may not be straight forward take it in, fix it, return to customer. Only a guess.
Currently in Ft Morgan, Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks Jerry. Actually I think I'll go down and try to get in for the work which I REALLY want the factory to do, like caulking, and wouldn't be covered under extended wty anyway. Leaving it isn't really an option because we full time and live in it. DW might be ok on dad's couch for a few days but my 6'6" frame just isn't going to do that.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

In at least one circumstance that I now of, some folks who had an extended warranty had to wait until the warranty company sent the check for the repairs before Winnebago would allow them to leave. I've also heard of that at some RV dealer shops. It depends on the shop doing the repairs and the warranty company, and their relationship with them.

Since we're in the RV industry, I can understand why. I know several mobile techs who were never paid by a few of the fly by night warranty companies who have come and gone.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #12

Hey RickO, I have the same coach. I have had many issues with mine, one of the biggest is the floor creeks, so we took to to the Factory. They had to remove the tanks to place braces under the floor. Well come to find out they didn't hook up the Gray water tank correctly the water form the sink was setting on top of the tank (we had been chasing a musty smell) now I can't leave the valve open to drain water because sewer smell will escape around the pipes in the top of the tank. I'm very disappointed with Winnebago.
Mike-N-Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
the door adjusted from where I sprung it slamming it on the burglar's hand back in December
Now, THAT sounds like a story worth hearing!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Sally View Post
Hey RickO, I have the same coach. I have had many issues with mine, one of the biggest is the floor creeks, so we took to to the Factory. They had to remove the tanks to place braces under the floor. Well come to find out they didn't hook up the Gray water tank correctly the water form the sink was setting on top of the tank (we had been chasing a musty smell) now I can't leave the valve open to drain water because sewer smell will escape around the pipes in the top of the tank. I'm very disappointed with Winnebago.
I've been to Forest City twice and each time asked them to fix the creaky floor in the bath area, and each time they claimed all it took was tightening the screws that hold the shower walls to the coach walls. Within a couple of weeks the creaky floor was back. Guess maybe I'm lucky they didn't fix it correctly, I can stand the creaking more than a stinky drain.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Now, THAT sounds like a story worth hearing!
It was a pretty ugly encounter. Here is a link to my blog post about it.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Sally View Post
Ouch... that stinks... pardon the pun. That sure doesn't sound typical but when it's your coach none of that matters I guess.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Our interaction with Forest City has been outstanding thus far -- my 'only' problem is a water leak around the windshield/front cap area that the selling dealer and Winnebago have attempted to repair. We're heading back to Forest City on 19 September for this and some minor issues.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Good companies are always super busy in the service department. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

My coach was struck by lightning at the 2008 GNR. I brought the coach acress the street, they fixed everything and billed my insurance company and I was outta there ....

The insurance company paid WGO directly.

Some aftermarket insurance companies will pay using a VISA account but I have not had expereince with those.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Okay, we have to know who are you insured with?

[QUOTE=DriVer;680200]My coach was struck by lightning at the 2008 GNR. I brought the coach acress the street, they fixed everything and billed my insurance company and I was outta there ....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>