Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Rvw
Winnebago Watcher

6v battery?

Hello everybody I am currently working on a 1996 Winnebago Itasca suncruiser model IFG37RW. i have a freedom 458 series combi inverter/charger model 25 and 2 kyrocera KC120-1 solar panels. The rv had 3 deka pro master 6v batteries. One of the batteries is swolen and no water from what i can see. My ? Is could i run only 2 hooked up instead of 3? Id like to at least it's a solar running for my boss so he can sell it instead of purchasing brand new batteries.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys
Rvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

6 volt batteries must be deployed as two 6 volt batteries in series. You can put multiple groups of 2 in parallel with each other. Yes you could run with just 2, for Winnebagos without residential refrigerators that was often the factory standard orignal configuration.

Remove the third for now.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Minnie Winnie 26A

Am I missing something? You can't have an odd number of 6 volt batteries. 2 4 6 8 would be okay. 3579 would not. If you see three batteries that are 6 volts there's something wrong. There may be one hidden someplace else. I agree with the other post that it's okay just to run on two, but they will fail soon. Batteries die at roughly the same time.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
Rvw
Winnebago Watcher

This is all very interesting to me as I know nothing when it comes to anything to do with a RV or camper. All I know is this RV just so many things that are foreign to me, either don't work, has leaks or whatever it is it never wants to go smooth when it comes to repairing the issue at hand. I give mad props to all you guys because I've only tinkered with this thing for a couple weeks and I'm already at my Wit's End and wanting to rip my hair out.

So would having the three batteries hooked up cause problems or harm?
Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvw View Post
So would having the three batteries hooked up cause problems or harm?
Yes! It would not work. The RV is 12v. Two 6v batteries connected in series makes 12v. One more 6v battery would be one battery too many and would serve no purpose.

Working on a 23-year old RV that has been neglected and sitting unused, especially if you have no experience with or knowledge about RV systems is the definition of “having a bad time.”

Don’t be surprised that all of the batteries are bad. Especially if all 3 were connected together.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Rvw
Winnebago Watcher

I figured they would be toast or just about there. So now I have another question regarding the same problem. The owner walk me through the RV and in order to get any power to the refrigerator the air conditioner the switch my auxiliary power on or off the key in the ignition must be turn to the on position with the motor off. I can't find anything in the literature in the owner's manual just says having to have the ignition turned on in order to get power what's wrong with his setup or is the scenario and having the ignition turned on anybody ever encounter this?
Old 08-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Minnie Winnie 26A

Sounds to me like it was drawing power off the engine starting battery to run the refrigerator. By the way, you could have 4 6 volt batteries. Or you could have 3 12 volt batteries. The 6 volts would be two groups of two batteries in series each being 12 volts. The 3 12 volt batteries would just be in parallel so they stay at 12 volts. I e, the positive connected to the positive connected to the positive. Still equals 12 volts. If you have 6 volt batteries you link a positive and a negative between the two batteries and then use the remaining two posts has your positive and negative. That way to 6 volt batteries equals 12 volts.
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

To answer your question about selling the rig, I think it would be irresponsible to try to sell it without fixing it properly, although as-is with full disclosure would be ok. Are you absolutely sure there aren't two 6v and one 12v? That would work with the 12v in parallel with two 6v in series with each other but still not a good idea since all batteries in a bank should match. A 12v and one 6v won't work in any configuration.

You need to be 100% sure you know what's going on before trying anything or you can cause a lot of damage to your coach and/or yourself.

We have no idea of your skill level so, if you don't have and know how to use a multimeter, get one and learn how to use it before proceeding further.

Here's a link to your rig's wiring diagrams.

Fortunately battery wires are big and relatively easy to trace.

Table of Contents

Winnebago also provides plumbing diagrams, user manuals, brochures and other info:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ams-19250.html

https://winnebagoind.com/service
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #9
Rvw
Winnebago Watcher

Hey Bob,

So little my background skill level I would say I know my way around a garage and how to wrench on cars. I have a lot of experience when it comes to finding Parts looking them up as I used to work at a few motorcycle shops down in Las Vegas.

I totally agree on getting the issues resolved before we try and sell it. And I do have the manual for everything down to a shark vacuum. The owner is 88 years old and doesn't remember how things hook up and unfortunately someone worked on it when they shouldn't had.

Before I attempt anything I post my questions here because like I said this is like foreign language to me I understand how stuff works this is a lot to take in at one time so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with my questions as I move forward.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

According to page 6-7 of the operator manual, the battery compartment originally contained two coach (or house) batteries and one chassis (or starting) batteries. Originally, all would have been 12v batteries. If you still only have three batteries, and all are 6v, then it has been inappropriately re-wired. As previously stated, two 6v could replace the two 12v but not three, at least not in any conventional manner.

Rather than confusing the issue with speculation, if you could post a photo or drawing of the batteries and connections, one of us might be able to figure it out.

Also, make sure there are no other batteries in another location.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I am guessing based on reading this that his three batteries are two 6 volt coach batteries and one 12 volt engine battery all in the same location. He has not studied the wiring to the posts to see the are not all connected to each other.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:37 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

On some models, turning the ignition key to "ON" connects the house batteries to the chassis battery, allowing the house lights to operate even with 2 bad house batteries.

Tags
battery