Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 last year for Itasca

I was just told by a Camping World exec that all future Winnebagos will bear the company name and the Itasca moniker will be eliminated. He's upset because he thinks Itasca owners will suffer adverse market values because of the "obsolete" brand. I didn't think this was new news but I searched the site and nothing came up. If it's been posted before, I apologize.
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It's old news. The Itasca name was dropped in November, I believe. I was at LaMesa in Ft Pierce and they had a 2016 Itasca Sunova and an identical 2016 Winnebago Sunova siting side by side in there showroom and they didn't even know it.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
It's old news. The Itasca name was dropped in November, I believe. I was at LaMesa in Ft Pierce and they had a 2016 Itasca Sunova and an identical 2016 Winnebago Sunova siting side by side in there showroom and they didn't even know it.
when we bought our 2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U back in 2000 there was a difference...albeit slight...between the Suncruiser and the Winnebago Adventurer. most of the reason we went with the Suncruiser was the dealer (Barrington RV in Bartlett, IL). we traded in the 35U last fall and took delivery of a 2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q. this time around there was zero difference between the Suncruiser and Adventurer name plates so 100% of the reason we chose the Itasca was the dealer (the same dealer, btw).

I don't see a problem with Winny dropping the Itasca line. it's not like the Itascas are orphans.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimaxp View Post
I was just told by a Camping World exec that all future Winnebagos will bear the company name and the Itasca moniker will be eliminated. He's upset because he thinks Itasca owners will suffer adverse market values because of the "obsolete" brand. I didn't think this was new news but I searched the site and nothing came up. If it's been posted before, I apologize.
Sort of old news - my Itasca Dealer told me that he would still be selling the former Itasca Line as they will continue making two identical models with two different names in the end only to be known as the Winnebago XXX rather than Itasca XXX. The jury is still out on what if any impact it will have. From what I understand they are trying to cash in on the Winnebago name as it has been likened to be synonymous with Recreation Vehicle sort of like Kleenex is to tissues and Xerox is to photo copy. Time will tell if it was a good decision.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Winnebago is eliminating the Itasca brand name. I think that has something to do with buying the Country Coach business.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Winnebago is eliminating the Itasca brand name. I think that has something to do with buying the Country Coach business.
Now this would make more sense. What it is going to do is allow Winnebago to go way upscale. Right now they don't have the know how and brand rep to do that high high end to compete with American Coach, Tiffin, Foretravel and many others.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Believe it or not, only in December did Winnibago finally update their website, replacing the 2015 model pictures and info with the 2016 models. All 2016 former Itasca models are now officially Winnebago, I just ordered a 2016 Solei and they are calling it the "Solei From Winnebago" with the Itasca name nowhere. And 2016 body paint selections are identical with Forza/Solei, but the interior colors are still different. I bet 2017 will have the Winnebago/Itasca model names the same.
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'd think there would be no or very minimal negative effect on residual value having an "Itasca" branded motorhome. It's still a Winnebago product. My Itasca Navion has Winnebago badges on the doors and the back, in addition to the Itasca nameplate on the front cap.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #9
JBP
Winnie-Wise

My 2015 Cambria still has Itasca cross the front cap.
It never made scenes why the two brands were so much a like. My dealer had both Aspect and Cambria. I just liked the colors on the cambria.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Winnebago and Itasca have always been 'sister' brands. I see no ill effects on the value of current Itasca units, as they are pretty much exactly Winnebago units with different decor and paint.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
My 2015 Cambria still has Itasca cross the front cap.
It never made scenes why the two brands were so much a like. My dealer had both Aspect and Cambria. I just liked the colors on the cambria.
Which is exactly why they made the Itasca and Winnebago models, to offer more variety to get more sales.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Actually, I believe that Itasca was created because at the time Winnebago had a contract to use Dodge chassis exclusively--the creation of Itasca allowed them to make use of other chassis.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Now this would make more sense. What it is going to do is allow Winnebago to go way upscale. Right now they don't have the know how and brand rep to do that high high end to compete with American Coach, Tiffin, Foretravel and many others.
Those of us with existing CC's hope they keep the name/brand/construction upscale too!!
But can they make their own chassis (DynoMax) and stay competitive?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
laj
Winnebago Watcher

unfortunately Mr_D what you have you will never see again. if you want to know what they're going to do, all you have to do is look at what they've done, and it ain't pretty.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I myself have high hopes for the acquisition. All diesel production is moving to Oregon as I understand it. Many of the people who worked at Country Coach will probably go back to work at their old factory. There will be the benefit of their skill of building the upscale CC now applied to Winnebago. I think that will be interesting in a good way. Possibly design people too.

As I've said before, I hope they do this right and make some bad ass coaches in that upper level. I like my Ellipse, it's a good unit. As for bang for the buck, I'd say it's the sweet spot. There are several amenities on my coach that are not available with other manufacturers until you get above 500,000 price point. So, it's a good balance between luxury and practicality, smooth ride etc. The only direction for Winnebago to logically go is way up. We'll see what happens.......
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I agree. Our 2012 Tour has features that are now being announced as upgrades on some very expensive coaches.

So far, other than a punch list at Lazy Days (bought new) we have only had to replace the water pump. It has been far and away the best bang for the buck.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I myself have high hopes for the acquisition. All diesel production is moving to Oregon as I understand it. Many of the people who worked at Country Coach will probably go back to work at their old factory. There will be the benefit of their skill of building the upscale CC now applied to Winnebago. I think that will be interesting in a good way. Possibly design people too.

As I've said before, I hope they do this right and make some bad ass coaches in that upper level. I like my Ellipse, it's a good unit. As for bang for the buck, I'd say it's the sweet spot. There are several amenities on my coach that are not available with other manufacturers until you get above 500,000 price point. So, it's a good balance between luxury and practicality, smooth ride etc. The only direction for Winnebago to logically go is way up. We'll see what happens.......
I totally agree with you that moving diesel production to the Oregon Plant is a really good move for Winnebago and for the skilled Oregon folks. But, I'm curious why you think the the only direction for Winnebago to Logically go is way up? You could be spot on, but IMHO Winnebago has been and likely will always be an icon for affordable motorhomes. Affordable motorhomes (say coaches under $175k) make up the lions share of the motorhome market. I could be wrong but I think their business strategy will always be focused predominately on the affordable coach market as their mainstay product. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a higher end coach someday at the CC facility in the future but I would be surprised if the sales volume of that type coach would logically support a significant directional swing in their RV business strategy.

Again, from what I can ascertain, and IMHO, I think the purchase of this facility was driven primarily and simply by demand. Not enough workforce or infrastructure in Forest City to keep up with the high volume of production. Also, the CC purchase provided a facility nearly turnkey for motorhome production along with an available skilled workforce, and more.

I'm guessing it will take a couple years to get production up and running smoothly enough just to meet demand of the current Winnebago diesel line. I'm also guessing that design and build of a new model high-end coach may be more than a couple years away.

Of course this is just my opinion and heck, I'm just guessing like everyone else. In any case, I think this move is going to be a good thing all the way around.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I totally agree with you that moving diesel production to the Oregon Plant is a really good move for Winnebago and for the skilled Oregon folks. But, I'm curious why you think the the only direction for Winnebago to Logically go is way up? You could be spot on, but IMHO Winnebago has been and likely will always be an icon for affordable motorhomes. Affordable motorhomes (say coaches under $175k) make up the lions share of the motorhome market. I could be wrong but I think their business strategy will always be focused predominately on the affordable coach market as their mainstay product. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a higher end coach someday at the CC facility in the future but I would be surprised if the sales volume of that type coach would logically support a significant directional swing in their RV business strategy.

Again, from what I can ascertain, and IMHO, I think the purchase of this facility was driven primarily and simply by demand. Not enough workforce or infrastructure in Forest City to keep up with the high volume of production. Also, the CC purchase provided a facility nearly turnkey for motorhome production along with an available skilled workforce, and more.

I'm guessing it will take a couple years to get production up and running smoothly enough just to meet demand of the current Winnebago diesel line. I'm also guessing that design and build of a new model high-end coach may be more than a couple years away.

Of course this is just my opinion and heck, I'm just guessing like everyone else. In any case, I think this move is going to be a good thing all the way around.

cheers,
Joopy

Hey Joopy!
I agree with you totally. That is exactly what I meant by my saying "way up". They've done everything else quite well as you've detailed above quite rightly. So, if they do anything else other than that, (meaning not more of the same strategy) I would guess it would be UP, at least on a limited basis possibly? Test the waters and such I would imagine. Well, it should be interesting for sure. They've added a new 45ft model to the Grand Tour line this year with side radiator.....and I think with the passive steer tag too.....teasing us are they....with what's on the horizon? Maybe so. As an RV enthusiast I can't wait to see what happens! I hope it's great.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Gotcha Yup, we're on the same page. Looking forward to see all the happenings over the next year or two.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

One thing it will change is dealer per market place. With Winnebago and Itasca being separate they could have one dealer selling Winnebago and another on the same corner selling Itasca.

With strictly Winnebago branding they cannot do that anymore because of Franchising agreements. So that will change the way dealers treat the product and customer also. Hopefully in a positive way.
MotoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca