Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Maybe the first clue to it having problems was the fact it was a 2010 with only 2600 miles and was used. Most likely a 1000 or more of those miles were miles put on it delivering it from the factory to the dealer. Making it more like 1500 miles the original owner put on it. There is some history there someplace you don't know and are not being told.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

For the dealer to be telling you to take it to Ford for the handling issue is a familiar story with me. I bought a new '09 Sightseer 35J. Since it was new in the showroom, I didn't do a test drive. Lesson learned there. Even though it eventually got fixed and reimbursed by the dealer, it cost me a lot of time and irritation.

Here's what else I learned. Winnebago says they do an alignment at the factory. This is like calling a bowl of soup a pizza even though there's no crust. The only thing Winnebago checks is the toe. Mine had a caster problem that caused it to pull for the ditch on the right all the time. Winnebago says caster isn't something they can change and says it comes from Ford that way. Ford says that they aren't responsible for any alignment issues after the house gets built on top of it. Perfect. Nobody's responsible.

And don't let anybody say anything about having the alignment checked after you load it. That's in the owner's manual, but you and I both had problems driving off the lot without any load. Mine pulled whether it was loaded or unloaded.

After having the caster issue corrected, mine behaves like a big heavy box ought to. It doesn't handle like it's on rails, but neither do I feel like it needs any aftermarket parts to improve the handling and I say that having driven through the gusty winds of the midwest in it. I get a little buffeting from passing trucks, but nothing near enough to make me feel unsafe or even uncomfortable. It's not cushy soft over bumps in the road either, but riding a little rough and not being able to keep it on the road are two totally different issues.

Have the tires checked. Have the alignment checked -- toe, caster, and camber. My guess is that it's either a bad tire or you have an alignment issue where you're trying to steer straight, but constantly having to correct it because the alignment isn't true. The constant correction is making you feel out of control.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
First, why are you protecting this bad dealer by putting XXXXX for the name? We don't want to buy from him and be treated like that. The only way to get rid of them is by letting everyone know. That is also your power to get things done... fix it or I'll let the world know what kind ofdealer you are via the internet forums and user groups. Fix it or I'll go to the local news media and BBB.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

He posted a same thread over on the other big Class A forum. There he stated it was La Mesa.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
That is also your power to get things done... fix it or I'll let the world know what kind ofdealer you are via the internet forums and user groups. Fix it or I'll go to the local news media and BBB.
Winnebago doesn't care. I told them I was active in RV forums and would tell my story. That didn't help one bit. Once my dealer stepped up, I commended them publicly. That dealer is now no longer a Winnebago dealer. Go figure. I'm not sure which party ended the relationship, but based on how my situation was handled, I'm more interested in buying from that dealer than I am from Winnebago.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I am curious how it handled without the hitch platform, bicycle and motorcycle strapped on the back like at the WIT Quartzsite gathering.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Since your M/H appears to be on a Ford chassis, here is what I did to mine to correct some of the handling problems that I was not happy with. First, to correct some or nearly all the body roll that you are experiencing, move the front and rear torsion bars back to the holes closest to the axles (per a Ford mechanic). Then I added a rear trac bar from Brazels RV out of Washington state. There are other dealers out there for trac bars, that is just who I happened to get mine from. The handling has improved greatly. In a cross winds you will feel the wind gusts a little bit, but nothing like it was before the modifications. Also a great improvement when a semi blows past you on the interstate. I would do these mods again without a hesitation. Hope this helps some for the handling problems you are having. I don't think ours was nearly as bad as yours appears to be.
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

While I'm sorry to hear all of this, if I we're in this situation the first thing I would do is have the Chassis completely checked by a chassis service center, including wheel alignment and the tires.

I'm seeing a whole lot of ideas and solotions, but unless this was in an accident, I would think starting with a chassis and alignment shop would be my first plan, I bet they will find out what the issue is.

While it's sad that LeMasa won't step up to help, it will be a whole lot easier to get some recourse when you have the facts to back you up.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
"the support members for the front cap were not attached correctly" sounds fishy to me. How is that possible? Think I would invest in a Carfax report if you have not already. Could it have been in an accident? Why would the original owner not have taken care of major problems like that under warranty.

I would definitely check for lemon laws in AZ. Some states require dealers to refund money if you can prove you where sold a lemon. Could also check with your state attorney generals office.
With all due respect - CarFax is pretty useless as it is a voluntary program - if the vehicle goes to a shop that doesn't participate in the program then it's buyer bewar - been there done that.

Hindsight being 20/20 the MH should have been test driven on the highway - I think lawsuits are in order
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #30

I too thought of the 'why is this 2010 model being sold with so few miles?' and 'front cap not secured?' questions and the only answer I can come up with that makes sense, especially with the handling problems, is that this coach was in an accident.

YOU need to take the coach to an INDEPENDENT RV mechanic and have it looked at very closely. Take what ever they find back to the dealer and have them fix it. If they refuse, lawyer up.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
the only answer I can come up with that makes sense, especially with the handling problems, is that this coach was in an accident.
Worse yet it seems it may have not been properly repaired
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Before calling in the lawyers and putting all sorts of trac bars, etc.,. Let's look at the basics.
Your Mom test drove it on "back roads" at 50 mph ? How was it then ?
Did anybody check the tire pressure or have it weighed, say at Quartsite ?

Maybe, and I'll get creamed for this, take the dealers offer (dicker for a lower price) and make the MH someone elses problem.

I mention sometime ago that my daughter and her husband used to fly to Indiania, pick up Class A's and deliver them to the Southwest. They had contests on the way as to how high into the air the front end could get by ramming curbs on the way into a night parking space.

In the military it's called a retrograde movement, calculated withdraw or "every man for himself". You may be at that point.

Respectfully, Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

Hopefully someone will see this thread and be able to track them down and have them arrested and make pay restitution.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I'm thinking if I can't say anything good don't say anything at all
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Which LaMesa dealership was this? I use one of them for service. Joe
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR
I'm thinking if I can't say anything good don't say anything at all
I would normally agree, but someone engaging in the destructive behavior just described needs to be stopped. How would you feel if your mother got one of those coaches? Ignoring it is kind of like looking the other way when you see a crime. The behavior is criminal and can cause future owners of those coaches all kinds of future problems. Rather than ignore it the jack***es need to be stopped and I'm not worried about offending them or her father.
kfalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls View Post
I would normally agree, but someone engaging in the destructive behavior just described needs to be stopped. How would you feel if your mother got one of those coaches? Ignoring it is kind of like looking the other way when you see a crime. The behavior is criminal and can cause future owners of those coaches all kinds of future problems. Rather than ignore it the jack***es need to be stopped and I'm not worried about offending them or her father.
Your being more polite about it than I would be.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #38

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfalls View Post
Careful, I got my post deleted by the moderator for saying far less about my displeasure with her activity. I asked that the original post be deleted but apparently that isn't going to happen.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

you can ask your insurance agent pull a CLUE report on the VIN to see if there were any previous insurance physical damage claims for that vehicle
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I would definitely check for lemon laws in AZ. Some states require dealers to refund money if you can prove you where sold a lemon. Could also check with your state attorney generals office.
You might want to google "Arizona lemon laws" and variants. Often google will come up with adverts for law firms that specialize in this kind of problem. I'm not a lover of lawyers, but a good one (like a good professional in any field) can be worth the money. Don't expect free advice - keep in mind A. Lincoln's quote "A lawyer's time and advice are his stock-in-trade".

There may be "Implied warranties of fitness and merchantability" in AZ. Ask the Atty. General's office about it. They should give you free advice.

Best of luck - the situation may take time to resolve, but an organized plan of attack and good record keeping (Who said what, and when) can be very helpful. Having worked for years in the Auto service business, I know that "subjective" complaints like handling can be difficult to resolve, but advice from previous posters about checking the basics and comparing with another unit are great starting points.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote