Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Industries Inc. has announced two recalls.

The first is NHTSA recall 05V496000, which affects some 2006 Itasca Ellipse and Meridian and Winnebago Journey and Tour motorhomes, built from August 24, 2005, through October 31, 2005. The potential number of coaches involved is 152.

On certain motorhomes, the cinch bolt, where the steering column connects to the intermediate shaft, was improperly tightened. This could result in the bolt threads being stripped, conceivably not providing a tight joint. If the joint is loose, the intermediate shaft has the potential to slip off the spline shaft of the steering column, causing loss of steering control. This could result in personal injury or vehicle and property damage.

Dealers will inspect and replace the cinch bolt and nut. The repair is expected to take approximately one hour. However, because of service scheduling times, the service center may need your vehicle for a longer time period.

The second is NHTSA recall 05V532000, which affects some 2006 Itasca Sunova and Winnebago Sightseer motorhomes, built from February 8, 2005, through September 15, 2005. The potential number of coaches involved is 342.

On certain motorhomes with the optional galley upgrade package, knives stored in the galley knife holder may interfere with the propane gas line to the stove. The knives could damage the propane gas line, allowing propane gas to escape, which has the potential to ignite, resulting in personal injury or vehicle property damage.

Dealers will properly route the propane gas line and install a knife shield. The repair is expected to take approximately one hour. However, because of service scheduling times, the service center may need your vehicle for a longer time period.

For more information about these recalls, contact Winnebago Industries at (641) 585-6939. Owner notification on both recalls began in November 2005.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Industries Inc. has announced two recalls.

The first is NHTSA recall 05V496000, which affects some 2006 Itasca Ellipse and Meridian and Winnebago Journey and Tour motorhomes, built from August 24, 2005, through October 31, 2005. The potential number of coaches involved is 152.

On certain motorhomes, the cinch bolt, where the steering column connects to the intermediate shaft, was improperly tightened. This could result in the bolt threads being stripped, conceivably not providing a tight joint. If the joint is loose, the intermediate shaft has the potential to slip off the spline shaft of the steering column, causing loss of steering control. This could result in personal injury or vehicle and property damage.

Dealers will inspect and replace the cinch bolt and nut. The repair is expected to take approximately one hour. However, because of service scheduling times, the service center may need your vehicle for a longer time period.

The second is NHTSA recall 05V532000, which affects some 2006 Itasca Sunova and Winnebago Sightseer motorhomes, built from February 8, 2005, through September 15, 2005. The potential number of coaches involved is 342.

On certain motorhomes with the optional galley upgrade package, knives stored in the galley knife holder may interfere with the propane gas line to the stove. The knives could damage the propane gas line, allowing propane gas to escape, which has the potential to ignite, resulting in personal injury or vehicle property damage.

Dealers will properly route the propane gas line and install a knife shield. The repair is expected to take approximately one hour. However, because of service scheduling times, the service center may need your vehicle for a longer time period.

For more information about these recalls, contact Winnebago Industries at (641) 585-6939. Owner notification on both recalls began in November 2005.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Those are two bugs worth getting fixed and fast!!
Old 02-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

To; 3 Huskies;

Just a personal observation;..

I read all the magazines, RV, and particular the readers writing in, the recalls of different manufactures,and so on

Does winnie have a lot more recalls than other manufactures ?? Or do they build more units and of course more problems.

Is their quality control what it should be??

I looked at a winnie while upstate NY with the Noreasters, great floor-plan, raved about it for weeks, even took the wife to a local dealer and she thought floor-plan wwas great. We sat in the winnie for about 20 minutes and I recalled all the negative reading, so we left.

Can they be that bad? Or am I stretching.

No offense to winnie owners, but if you don't ask the question, you can't get the answer.

Thanks======== AJBJRVERS
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Not sure what makes "3huskies" an expert for posting a Winnebago recall,but having owned two Winnebago products,I'll offer my non-expert opinion.

I often "lurk" on several other manafacturer forums here,on Yahoo and on rv.net and there are many of the same "leak here",rattle there" issues with other manafacturers that we read on IRV2.
There's an Alpine owner on this forum that just had to send his coach to the factory to have a leak fixed,the dealer couldn't fix.
There are Newmar and Fleetwood owners with issues as well....
Currently on the NHTSA recall site there are recalls listed for many models,even a recall on the ultra-expensive Blue Bird 45LXI.
Fleetwood Excursion,Bounder diesel,Monaco Dynasty,Signature,Windsor...Foretravel,Thor....
I think if you do the research and read through the recall link on your own,you'll see many manafacturers have recalls.

But I'm no expert....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm not an expert on anything and don't care about other brands. Just a happy 2002 Itasca Horizon 39QD owner trying to help other Winnie owners, and posting recall information is one way of doing this.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

That's what I thought as well 3huskies....
Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 AM   #8
abn
Winnebago Camper

Other way to look at this is....

Maybe...just maybe ... Winnebago is more open and honest about the issues with their products.

Face it folks, these things are very complex machines that take a good deal of punishment. If they engineered and built them to the nth degree they'd cost so much we would not be able to afford them.

We are very happy with our MH and appreciate Winnebagos approach to customer service.

Just my 2 cents (before taxes)

Old 02-03-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

On my second motor home and my second Winnebago Industries product...

Issues I've had were more related a breakdown in communications with the dealer,more so than a defect in the product.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

To ajbjrvers,
To try to answer your question...According to RV News...For the last 4 years (2005 results not in yet) Winnebago has had the #1 selling class A diesel..gas and class C motorhomes so one would think more recalls. I know I would buy another.
Not my "expert" opinion...just facts.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 3huskies:
I know I would buy another. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just did!!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have our second Winnebago product on order. Our first was a 2003 Adventurer which we were very pleased with. We liked the coach and the service from our dealer has been excellent. Although we never had to deal with Winnebago directly, our dealer did it for us, we have been very happy with the solutions to our concerns. We eagerly look forward to the delivery of our 2006 Tour 40FD. I hope we are just as happy with this one as we were with our last Winnebago. In my opinion it takes both a good manufacturer and a servicing dealer to make for a enjoyable experience. While others may disagree, I believe I have found both.
rjwdzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:06 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Congrats on the new Tour and welcome to the forum!!
I sold my 2004 Journey to my brother and just below this post is my new Vectra 40KD picture!!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a 2004 Journey 32T and have been very satisfied with the dealer and Winnebago.

We've had a couple of warranty claims, but they all have been promptly resolved. Owning motorhomes for over 12 years now, there is always something to fix, tweak.... Just like owning another home/car combined.

Even before we bought the coach, I was concerned about whether the hitch would bottom out on our driveway when we backed in. I contacted Winnebago to see if we could get some additional information on clearances of the frame. One of their engineers promptly sent us a CAD drawing detailing the take off angle from the rear wheels to the hitch and clearance heights. I find the Winnebago WEB site with the various drawings for the electrical, plumbing... to be a great help too.

We upgraded from a 1989 Itasca Spirit, which we bought used.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Why not name the dealer??
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajbjrvers:
To; 3 Huskies;

Just a personal observation;..

I read all the magazines, RV, and particular the readers writing in, the recalls of different manufactures,and so on

Does winnie have a lot more recalls than other manufactures ?? Or do they build more units and of course more problems.

Is their quality control what it should be??

I looked at a winnie while upstate NY with the Noreasters, great floor-plan, raved about it for weeks, even took the wife to a local dealer and she thought floor-plan wwas great. We sat in the winnie for about 20 minutes and I recalled all the negative reading, so we left.

Can they be that bad? Or am I stretching.

No offense to winnie owners, but if you don't ask the question, you can't get the answer.

Thanks======== AJBJRVERS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AJBJRVERS,

Not that I think you are bashing but EVERY manufacturer has its recalls and problems as you obviously have problems with your Newmar. The question is who will stand behind their product? I'm liking my chances with Winnie. They were the one of the FIRST MFG's and i'm sure the when the dust settles after the latest round of Bankruptcies, closures and consolidations (so far Chinook (done) and Blue Bird in Chapter 11) that undoubtedly will continue, they will be the THE LAST MFG left standing.

One sales rep told me they are "a big box rolling down the highway with a constant level 3 earthquake". Funny thing about statistics though, in the internet business, to have a 99% uptime rating, you can be down a solid 4 days a year and still retain that rating. In looking at RV's, I'm sure that tallying up all of the Positive experiences compared to the negative ones, you will see similar numbers. Unfortunately, most of the time, these forums are for problem resolution and not necessarily for parading around a perfectly built coach.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I was out of town for the weekend and could not respond before. My dealer is Ruff's RV in Willoughby Hills, Ohio. I didn't know if we were allowed to give names of dealers.
rjwdzw is offline   Reply With Quote