Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
I have a sightseer built 2001 that needs a new passenger windshield , should I prepare for this rusted frame problem
My limited 'research' by way of Google comes up with posts from model-years 1999 to 2008, and of course could be before and after those years, so I'm going to say there will be a good chance that the frames are rusted and rotted. And if the passenger side is bad, it seems that the drivers' side will be too.

When you do the windshield replacement, I hope you'll post a few pictures of the frame, rusted or not, so we can see what 2001's might look like after more than 10 years. I've seen a few pictures that the owner felt there were no leaks showing up inside the motorhome but the rusted out frames still looked scary.

Unfortunately for most of us, it will be a matter if the repairs are needed, we'll be footing the full repair costs, as Winnebago doesn't seem to cover any of the repairs. I'm always a little surprised what the RV industry seems to get away with compared to the automobile industry. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

More than 2,200 'views' on this thread and subject, so while I did post a new thread with the updated results (dealer will only pay $500 of the $3,800 repair costs) I decided that I should now acknowledge who the selling dealer was: La Mesa RV, Davis, CA, with the windshield replaced before delivery at their Davis store and the decision that they had no responsibility in disclosing the rusted/rotted out windshield frame was made by both the Davis and San Diego corporate store. Keep in mind that not only are they a Winnebago dealer, but claim this is a common Winnebago problem, so they had inside information about a potential problem before they even made the repair. Their website refers to selling 'certified used RV's', but how much certification could there be by hiding and not disclosing a 'known problem'? (And if they had offered to pay a fair-share, I would certainly give kudos and post that customer service and safety is a priority to them... but that does not seem to be the case here.)

When buying a used motorhome at La Mesa RV, I'd have to say BUYER BEWARE. At least in my father-in-laws case, they withheld needed-repair information that they knew first-hand before he took delivery and left him stuck with the entire cost. (At this point, he has turned down the '$500 and sign here to release us of any further liability' offer.) -RT
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Thi is not limited to 1999 - 2008 models.
I have a 2012 journey with leaking windshield. Dealer worked on it in December, but it is still leaking. While checking clearance lights with garden hose, I found when water is run at the driver's top of the side trim strip that runs along windshield, then water runs out inside from the black metal channel.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Windshield leakage

Hi

Recently we had a major Thunderstorm whilst camping after which there was a small amount of water on the Dash top. I removed the interior trim to find a small weep about 1ft from the centre divider. This is all we have ever seen. for now I have lifted the Trim rubber and coated the seam between the "shield" and the cap with non setting mastic. as I do not have the time to carry out further investigation.

There has also been reports in the United Kingdom of Winnebago owners having windshield leaks and (some) serious (rust) wasting!! and as you know parts of England are notorious for "Rain"!!!.

An earlier 1982/3 Pace Arrow I owned over there had a complete bead of sealant around EVERY window!!!.as the rubbers had "perished" and where not obtainable. So not an entirely new problem. which begs the question why the Manufacturers have not got to grips with it yet??

Answers on post card please!!! (1 word) ($)?

pete
PeteH1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

whooo , I just purchased, have not paid for it yet, a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser, the years talked about seem to be 2003 and above, with my 2001 do I need to be looking for this problem or is it really 2003 and above? At the price I am paying I do not need to add another $4000 to the cost.
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

It is a problem in all years. Had it in my 99 Brave and have it in my 2003 Adventurer. You may have it or not have it. Had mine leak tested at Forest City and it was the clearance lights. They sealed them with silicon. I wasn't too happy about that, thought they should have replaced the gaskets, but it stopped the leak.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
whooo , I just purchased, have not paid for it yet, a 2001 Itasca Suncruiser, the years talked about seem to be 2003 and above, with my 2001 do I need to be looking for this problem or is it really 2003 and above? At the price I am paying I do not need to add another $4000 to the cost.
Well, you might get lucky, but model-year wise, that motor home is a prime candidate for having rusted-out windshield frames. I'd certainly pull out the reveal moldings and take a good look. From the factory, the reveal molding is not sealed in place, so it would be simple to inspect. If the molding has been sealed in place, that would be a red flag that a repair, or a quick fix has been done.

Keep in mind that rusted out frames isn't that expensive to repair: it's the cost of replacing the windshield glass that commonly breaks when pulled to repair the frame. -RT
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #48
Winnebago Owner

There is a lot of controversy surrounding the link below. Given your original post you may benefit from reading if you have not already done so.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...es-100738.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Just had windshield replaced only few spots of surface rust that glass company cleaned back to metal and primed before fitting glass .
Really pleased with mobile glass company , very professional and took pride in their work , no rushing just wanted to do it right .
Wisefly auto glass CA
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #50
Winnebago Owner

Photo of rust

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1328989040.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	26690
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Whilst having the windshield replaced I noticed the orange ( clearance ? ) light was cracked . Where can I get replacement , plus gaskets for lights as I plan to replace them .
Thanks Jim
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

Probably any truck stop or auto parts place. What is written on the lens?

Winnebago Clearance Lights
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Had a look in autozone today and think the ones from tweetys is a closer match .
Thanks John

Tags
winnebago