Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2002 new to me adventurer sway issues

Hi,
My family bought our first motorhome, a 2002 adventurer 32v, and I installed 6 new tires 2 michelin xve h rated tires for the front and 4 g rated uniroyal rs 20's in the back. The tire pressure is set at 100 for all of them. My issues is there is alot of sway, the back end drifts side to side and there is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel, I constantly have to adjust it. Also, semi trucks push me to the side when passing. Now I understand I need to have the motorhome weighed and adjust the tire pressure but would like some suggestions as what I should replace and or add first. For example, new shocks, or stabalizing bar or anti sway bars? or something else? thanks in advance, dave
dmc1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
i wouldn't do anything until you get at a minimum individual axle weights (fully loaded as you would for a trip) and adjust your tire pressures. my guess is you have them way over inflated.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If they're original, it's almost certain that you need new shocks. I'd suggest you start by getting them checked out. You're going to find a lot of opinions about replacements, Konis vs Bilstein vs OEM. Like a car, if you come to a stop and the front end bobs up and down excessively before settling down, you need new shocks.

I have my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U serviced at a family run truck repair shop where two of the "& Sons" are motorhome owners. Their advice was to go with OEM, which are less expensive and chosen by the chassis design engineers for a reason. I followed their advice and the OEMs are fine. Maybe Koni or Bilstein would be better but I had, and still have, other things I need to do with my money.

My approach is to get my rig in the best stock condition I could before making after-market mods since there are so many, inter-related symptoms to deal with. I'd also get your steering checked. Mine has a bit of play, not what I'd call a lot, but it tracks like it's on rails if I take my hands off the wheel. After the new tires and shocks, I'm pretty happy with the way it handles and haven't felt at all buffeted about by passing big rigs.

The only thing that's still bothering me is, particularly at low speeds, I feel every little ridge and bump in the road.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i wouldn't do anything until you get at a minimum individual axle weights (fully loaded as you would for a trip) and adjust your tire pressures. my guess is you have them way over inflated.
I agree with this. We have a 2003 Adventurer 35U. 90 PSI front and 85 rear. You really need to weigh when fully loaded then use the tire manufacturer charts for setting the proper tire pressure. Oh, what chassis do you have.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree. Weigh all 4 first and go from there. Mine came in with 90 psi front, 85 rear with 10% over. To keep things simple I went with 90 psi all around and it handles fine. Toyo 22.5 inch tires, Eez tire pres monitor

Tags
adventurer, vent