Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1st timer

We just jumped into the RV world with a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 34Y. It's our first experience with any camper! Week and half until our maiden voyage! Can't wait.... I do have a question but not sure if this is the right place to post as I am also new to forums. The previous owner replaced the floor with pergo type laminate. The slide sits too low and drags on the floor scratching it. How can I raise/adjust the slide. I did find some support bolts on the hydraulic shafts underneath. They are tightened all way up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
tweetycpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I don't know if you can raise a slide, since it might introduce all kinds of problems like leaky seals, binding, etc. We opted out of a slide with our current unit, save weight and maintenance problems.

Someone will have more info I'm sure.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Here is one link to possibly get you started..

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/thin...le-178540.html

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Messing with the slide alignment is not something to attempt unless you have the service manual in-hand, for that brand mechanism. One slide room in our 5er always dragged on the carpet since new, the dealer could not correct the problem to our satisfaction. To prevent damaging the replacement carpet I bought a set of Slide Slickers. I do not know if they work properly on laminate, but a phone call to Adventure RV will obtain the answer.
I'm not advocating Adventure RV, just mentioned them because the have the lowest price for Slide Slickers, which BTW are made by Lippert.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yep this is a problem with wood flooring of any type. I would not personally mess with my slide alignments. Slides have been designed to move over specific types of flooring. New model Winnebago's, the 2014 models, are mostly coming out with a tile laminate an on the larger models actual ceramic tiles. But these slides are made to work over these products.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Messing with the slide alignment is not something to attempt unless you have the service manual in-hand, for that brand mechanism. One slide room in our 5er always dragged on the carpet since new, the dealer could not correct the problem to our satisfaction. To prevent damaging the replacement carpet I bought a set of Slide Slickers. I do not know if they work properly on laminate, but a phone call to Adventure RV will obtain the answer.
I'm not advocating Adventure RV, just mentioned them because the have the lowest price for Slide Slickers, which BTW are made by Lippert.
Thanks for the info on the slide slickers. This may be the way I need to go. I checked the compartment on the other side and could not locate any adjustments. From what I have read many people have had this same issue.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyduck View Post
Here is one link to possibly get you started..

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/thin...le-178540.html
Good info here. I will try to lift/tilt the slide while halfway out and see what I can see. I'll post an update afterwards.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum! It's great to have you join the crew!

Sorry I can't help with your question but I bet someone will help you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

You might want to call Winnebago and ask them. They have always been helpful when I called them. Have your VIN handy - they can cross that to your coach ID number.

Winnebago
(800)-537-1885 tech questions
866 311 7133 appointments

You can also download a lot of good info like the original sales brochure, plumbing diagram, wiring diagrams, sealant call outs,operator manuals and paint call outs on their web site.
Manuals and Digrams
Previous model year info
Old 10-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I replaced the carpet in our 2009 adventurer with laminate flooring similar to Pergo. I tried the Slide Slickers but they would just slid along in front of the slide room rather than slipping under the slide room.
I was having a problem with scratching the floor so I tried making new shoes with 3/4" pine 3" x 6" with carpet glued on. I tried removing the existing shoes with the hard plastic that was causing the scratches but couldn't remove them. I ended up just slipping a couple pieces of thin carpet under the slide every time I put it in or out. I used a small wrecking bar to lift the slide a little and slid the carpet under each end. It worked fairly well.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

If, by any chance, you can go to Forest City (I don't know how the weather is this time of year) at some point I am pretty certain they can make the adjustments correctly.

I would not trust the local RV shop unless you know they are factory trained and have much experience in tinkering with the slides, and this would have to be verified by a satisfied customer.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Update: I did 'tweak' the outside adjustments some. It's not dragging the floor anymore. I still needed to replace a piece of trim where the hardwood meets the vinyl, but there was no clearance for the slide to go over it. I tried to make my own skids. I was able to get it to work with 1/2" & 1/4" pieces of plywood. However, the top did not seal correctly and it didn't seem as stable as I would like. I went with a friend's suggestion. I have a 'removable' piece of trim. When the slide is out I will put the trim down with double sided tape. We'll see how well this works. Thanks for all the info here. I will definitely download the documents for my rig. Now to get my Flat Screen installed!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetycpa View Post
Update: I did 'tweak' the outside adjustments some. It's not dragging the floor anymore. I still needed to replace a piece of trim where the hardwood meets the vinyl, but there was no clearance for the slide to go over it. I tried to make my own skids. I was able to get it to work with 1/2" & 1/4" pieces of plywood. However, the top did not seal correctly and it didn't seem as stable as I would like. I went with a friend's suggestion. I have a 'removable' piece of trim. When the slide is out I will put the trim down with double sided tape. We'll see how well this works. Thanks for all the info here. I will definitely download the documents for my rig. Now to get my Flat Screen installed!!!
I don't recall which system your slides use but the tracks are all similar. The height adjustment seen on the outside under the slide being adjusted is only part of what you need to adjust. If you look at the far end of the slide track you will see the tilt adjustment. This will take care of gaps at the top or bottom. Adjustments of these types are usually recommended with the assistance of a jack to take some of the load off the nuts as you adjust.

If the seals on the outside trim are not set correctly against the body you will get water in the coach when you are in the rain.