Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2019, 03:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

12 volt or 24 volt? That is the question?

Hi all!

Looking to purchase jumper for 2005 Journey 39k w/caterpillar C7 engine. I would appreciate any expertise on required specs including necessary cranking power as well as the all important 12 volt or 24 volt option.

Thanks!
Sandy Sandman
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Your chassis (and coach) are both 12V DC. The two 12V chassis batteries are in parallel (therefore still 12V).

What do you need a 'jumper' for (presuming you're talking about a battery pack to allow you to jump start the coach)? You have a built in jumper via the coach batteries using the 'AUX START' switch on the dash.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Itasca Owners

I cannot directly answer the OP's question because I do not know how the coach is wired. But I do know that there are 24volt electrical systems out there and the answer below may be incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Your chassis (and coach) are both 12V DC. The two 12V chassis batteries are in parallel (therefore still 12V).

What do you need a 'jumper' for (presuming you're talking about a battery pack to allow you to jump start the coach)? You have a built in jumper via the coach batteries using the 'AUX START' switch on the dash.
Here is the link to an an article on the subject of 24Volt systems in RV's:
Why You Should Convert Your RV to 24 Volts DC

Most starters are 12V, so require that voltage. But 24V alternators are available to charge all the banks of a 24V system at once. So in some 24V systems, there is a provision to temporarily put two 12V batteries in parallel in order to start the engine. After the engine starts, the batteries are switched back to be in series. There is usually some method of keeping the alternator off line until the engine is running and the batteries are placed in series again.

I'd suggest the OP check with Winnebago (or the previous owner) and find out if this is a factory installation or something installed later. Hopefully they could answer the question.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

2005 Winnebagos were all 12 volt chassis systems.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
I cannot directly answer the OP's question because I do not know how the coach is wired. But I do know that there are 24volt electrical systems out there and the answer below may be incorrect.

Here is the link to an an article on the subject of 24Volt systems in RV's:
Why You Should Convert Your RV to 24 Volts DC

Most starters are 12V, so require that voltage. But 24V alternators are available to charge all the banks of a 24V system at once. So in some 24V systems, there is a provision to temporarily put two 12V batteries in parallel in order to start the engine. After the engine starts, the batteries are switched back to be in series. There is usually some method of keeping the alternator off line until the engine is running and the batteries are placed in series again.

I'd suggest the OP check with Winnebago (or the previous owner) and find out if this is a factory installation or something installed later. Hopefully they could answer the question.
No Sir,
Chris's answer is DEAD ON! About 99.9999% of the factory coaches produced are 12V. There might be a really, really rare case where a coaches system is 24V but, not normally in the American market, especially in the era we're speaking of. I too am wondering what the OP's meaning of a "Jumper" is. Unless the coach's batteries, either chassis or house, have been tampered with and or all the wires and cables removed, not sure what a "Jumper" would be for.

Also, as Chris has stated, there is a form of a built in "Jump" system. It's the Auxiliary Batter Boost switch which, when depressed, engages a rather large solenoid, way back in the shore power compartment, in a hidden compartment, that couples the house batteries with the chassis batteries for augmented engine cranking. If the OP ever returns, we "might" see what he was looking for.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt