Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

10 square feet of empty space

When my wife told me a favorite necklace of hers was missing a search ensued throughout the house, garage, and both cars and our Winnebago 42 QL. We spent countless hours, in our spare time, searching for it to no avail. On a trip to the RV we both noticed that the space under the rear linen closet pull-out (to the left of the rear sink, was a void which we could neither see nor reach. Under the sink, however, was a panel which was secured by 4 screws. I'm not a small person, but squeezed in, unscrewed, and low and behold; about 10 square feet of empty space, not insulated, a few loose screws, some protected wires, and my wife's favorite necklace. Obviously, it had fallen off the linen closet shelf, and never quite made it back into the house when we unpacked. I have decided, before I close up the wall, I will insulate the area and place a netting under the linen pull-out. I write about this so that others might benefit from my discovery.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if this was a one off oversight or a common cutting corner issue on their production line?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My guess is that it is a common cost cutting issue, easily insulated and "protected" by the owner.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2014 Tour 42QD and it does not have the pullout linen closet. The space below the door opening is available in this model. I believe when they put the pullout in they had to keep it above the sink and faucet for clearance. No way to give access to the space underneath.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Amazing places jewelry can hide! I dropped my favorite ring in the laundry room and it literally vanished. Got down in the floor and looked, but nothing. Like it had gone into another dimension. DH finally found it inside the lip under the dryer. It had somehow bounced up and under the dryer and landed on the little ledge rather than the floor. So glad you found the necklace!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Great discovery!
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like a good spot for a safe, if you can secure an easier way in...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks very much for your replies/input.
Ron, I agree that there appears to be no way to gain access to the place underneath the sliding linen closet, which to me means it's even more important to "finish" inside of it (which insulation at least.
Patti,obviously you appreciate what my wife (and I) went through, and can relate to the frustration we felt.
Larry, I agree, but, my friend, it was a few weeks of hell.
KSagal, I like your thinking. It's people like you that will solve this problem, and should be working on it.

Tags
ace