Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I had a problem with my propane system a couple of months ago while traveling and fortunately found an RV repair shop that could get me in that day. I watched as the tech removed what he called the "oil trap" and saw him pour out a fair amount of oil. I also watched when he removed the regulator and pour out more oil from it.

After he cleaned the "oil trap" and replaced the regulator all was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I seem to have the same problem as there is so little pressure the stove barely lights. I have an appointment next week at the repair facility of a Winnebago dealer where I live. I'll share with them the information from this and other threads on this forum and report back.

I'm wondering since the problem reoccured if I have oil in the tank?
We have a similar rig - [mine is a 2015 Itasca Navion] and a similar issue with the Propane not functioning and an oily residue in the regulator. My Winnebago Distributor is in Reno "Sierra RV" and I have worked with them on coming up with a resolution. If your dealer needs to call around to see what they should do they should call Sierra RV. If Winnebago has an answer for this issue please post it as they are only telling my Service Dealer to replace the regulator over and over again!!!. I had the tank dropped and cleaned, all propane burned off and all lines cleaned and regulator replaced, but I went 1 step further and replaced the hose with a 3/8 copper tubing. Phil makes some good points on this thread re: the copper tubing but I just got the rig back and will start to run using this config. Winnebago also asked for feedback if this works so its now testing time. Hope this helps
Carmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:09 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmyne View Post
Phil makes some good points on this thread re: the copper tubing but I just got the rig back and will start to run using this config. Winnebago also asked for feedback if this works so its now testing time. Hope this helps

The copper line should hold up for a respectable period. In the olden days it was the only material to use. Just do not take it for granted and please keep your eye and nose open and inspect it regularly. No need to worry, but be aware.

Good luck
Phil
PSOUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Spoke to WB directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Ken View Post
I had a problem with my propane system a couple of months ago while traveling and fortunately found an RV repair shop that could get me in that day. I watched as the tech removed what he called the "oil trap" and saw him pour out a fair amount of oil. I also watched when he removed the regulator and pour out more oil from it.

After he cleaned the "oil trap" and replaced the regulator all was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I seem to have the same problem as there is so little pressure the stove barely lights. I have an appointment next week at the repair facility of a Winnebago dealer where I live. I'll share with them the information from this and other threads on this forum and report back.

I'm wondering since the problem reoccured if I have oil in the tank?
I finally had a great conversation with WB who is very much aware of this issue. Bottom line ( at least for the Itasca Navion) is that with our tanks full (3/4) and on longer trips which have more bumps and turns the "current" regulator will get filled with the oily condensation. It has to do with the long and narrow propane tank on the Navion and the way the system is designed which traps the odorant in the current regulator. I'm confident that they will introduce a 2 stage regulator in the next several months which "should" handle the propane vapors and condensation better and allow them to evaporate like in most systems. In the meantime turn off your propane while driving and turn it on when you get to your location. This will prevent the pressure build-up from the hose to the regulator and not clog it. Also if possible try to keep the propane tank closer to 1/2 full vs. 3/4 as this will provide more space for the propane odorant to evaporate.
Carmyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Carmyne... thanks for the info. Very interesting the advice Winnebago is offering at this time. I dropped my Navion off at a local Winnebago dealer/service outlet this morning and showed your report to the service advisor. He and I are both a very curious as to WHEN Winnebago will introduce this "new" 2 stage regulator that will supposedly solve the problem.

An interesting interim solution ... turn off the propane when traveling ... hmm ... wish I would have known about that so that our most recent dry camping trip wouldn't have been cut short by this propane problem.

My service advisor (since I'm only a bit more than a month out of warranty) said he'd ask WInnebago for coverage for this problem. Now that I'm experiencing the same problem as a couple of months ago, I'm betting my regulator will need to be replaced again.

Please keep us all informed if you hear any further info from Winnebago.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Update on my propane issue...
Coach is in the shop now and the service advisor called letting me know that Wbago is picking up the cost of replacing the regulator. The service tech said he is rerouting the lines to help avoid trapping oil in them. My service advisor was also told by Wbago they are working on the new design for a regulator to help avoid the problem.

In the meantime I'll follow the advice of turning off the propane while traveling.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Another propane issue update...

As I noted in my previous post my most recent propane issue repair was covered by Winnebago. Since they are aware of the problem due to their design of the propane lines, I called Winnebago and asked if they would remimburse me for my initial regulator and propane line clean out back in July which because I was on the road and had the work done at an independent shop, I paid for myself. I was told to scan my repair order and receipt and email it. I received a check this week for the full amount of the repair. Cheers to Winnebago. Good customer service!

Tags
leak, recall, winnebago