Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
Wish they could/would fix my air conditioner problem I've had since new. They claimed to have fixed it 2 years ago while in Forest City, but the problem is still there. Any time the outside air temp it around 72 or a little lower and inside temp is 76-78 and air conditioner is needed, the compressors and fan will run for a few minutes, shut off for a few minutes, run for a few minutes, shut off for a few minutes, and this may keep up all afternoon even though the inside temp may never drop below 74-76 while the thermostat is set at 72. If the outside temp is in the upper 70s or in the 80s, the air conditioner works perfect.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, and I am surprised you didn't read about it HERE. Its a simple fix as you will move the thermister switch.....

Let me know when you get this done!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

FrontRangeRver- I went back and re-read your simple fix about moving the thermister. Have not been able to find out how to move the thermister, or if that is what Winny did 2 years ago. Looking down below the filter on mine all I see is the cooling coils. Can you describe what the thermister will look like when I look down under the filter? Do you know how to reach the thermister from underneath the coach if it can be bypassed or insulated over to keep it from reaching too cold a temp and shuting things down?
Like was stated before, probably not too many RVers run there air conditioners when outside temps are below 75 degrees. We only run into this while camping in the Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton areas and can't have the windows open due to dust, excessive wind, campfire smoke, or train smoke.
Thanks for all your responses.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 AM   #23

Wagonmaster, Im not sure how they moved the thermister (thinking they dropped the unit a bit and pulled it out of the outside coils and re-routed the wire and thermister to the INSIDE coils). Its just a wire with a metal end on it, and they moved it from the outside of the coil to the inside and now the compressors run even when the outside ambient temps get down into the 50s or so. I can see the thermister and wire now when I remove my air filter and look at the inside condensor.

This is a very common problem and I am surprised that the air products manufacturer acts like this is a new problem or they havent heard of it. It was a quick and easy fix.

And I agree with you. Most owners of these things dont realize their compressors arent running when the outside ambient temps get below 70 or so. We like to cool our motorhome to the mid 60s inside, no matter how cool it is outside.

I would disconnect your thermister and see if your compressors will run at low outside ambient temps.....my money says YES they will.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

The easiest way to check & see if the freeze thermister is causing the problem is to jumper it, when you are in those conditions.

There are 2 freeze thermisters, one for outside coil (for heat mode) & one for inside coil (cool mode). They are connected to the P.C. board in the basement unit. Depending on your model number, they can be identified as heat therm/cool therm or indoor coil sensor in/outdoor coil sensor in.

Jumper the pins for the indoor coil sensor. If unit operates fine, then sensor is the problem.

If this was to happen on mine, I would install a new one on the indoor coil where you can see it from inside. Drill a hole for the wire thru the small piece of ductwork below the coach, extend wires so they will reach the pc board.

You would need to place it on the coil section associated with compressor # 1, as this is the one on most of the time. To find this out, turn off the ac breaker for # 2, run unit and see which 1/2 of the coil, top or bottom, gets cold. You could also ask RVP where on the coil to locate it.

OR, for those few times this causes you a problem, just jumper it out, run fan on high & keep an eye on the coil for ice.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #25
LOJ
Winnebago Watcher

Hi guys, hope your trip is going well. We leave for Utah in a week, then to Wyoming on the 29th. Kasey looks happy to be on the road. Ma'ii completed his dog training class really well. Walks are now enjoyable. Hope to see you in South Dakota in July.

L & K
LOJ is offline   Reply With Quote