Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

2015 27N is also 82 psi for all six tires

Just to add to this thread my 2015 chassis VIN 27N also is labeled to set cold tire pressure on all six tires to 82 PSI. Personally I am trying to stay within plus minus 5 percent of that. I also have CrossFires on the rear duals to keep inner and outer tire pressures equal and to make it easier to maintain air pressure, the CrossFires make the valve stem you add or delete air from very accessible on the rears.

Note that tire pressure can rise quickly if direct sunlight is striking certain tires, and you have to take that into account as 82 is the "cold" setting before sun raises the tire temperature above ambient, so you have take that into account sometimes.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

sorry, New here and just bought a 27N. what does CHF stand for?
holt27n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

When I put the TMS system on my 2013 Vista 27N, the tire guys set my front tires at 82 lbs and my rear duals at 90. I guess that's ok as it rides and handles ok. I did add a sway bar and safe-t-plus that helped. The recommended pressure is 82 lbs all around. I guess a few pounds above won't make a big difference, but there sure are many opinions as to pressures.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

CHF is cheap handling fix. It has to do with the factory sway bars adjusted. I have not done it but I guess it helps sway and handling.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Just to add to this thread my 2015 chassis VIN 27N also is labeled to set cold tire pressure on all six tires to 82 PSI. Personally I am trying to stay within plus minus 5 percent of that. I also have CrossFires on the rear duals to keep inner and outer tire pressures equal and to make it easier to maintain air pressure, the CrossFires make the valve stem you add or delete air from very accessible on the rears.

Note that tire pressure can rise quickly if direct sunlight is striking certain tires, and you have to take that into account as 82 is the "cold" setting before sun raises the tire temperature above ambient, so you have take that into account sometimes.
Update I am now trying to run at least 85 PSI cold pressure. The safe cold pressure max on the tires is 110 PSI and so there is plenty of head room to run the tires a little high. It lets me still be at or above 82 when rolling out on a cold morning.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Kind of off topic. But I just bought a 27n and I'm trying to get the entertainment system set up. My question is shouldn't I be able to listen to music played on the front stereo out side on those speakers?
holt27n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

My 1988 E350 class C has my tire pressure stamped on the rims not to exceed 65 psi. The factory sticker says 58 which just seems way too low. I was running 85 in the tires that were on it when I bought it but I had two blowouts within a mile one day. The tires were old but looked fine. When I installed new Firestone Trasforce tires they are rated for a lot higher pressure but I'm scared to run the pressure higher than the rim states. I could get up to 10mpg running 50 mph with the pressure at 85. Now I get about 7.5-8 mpg with 65 psi. Would it hurt to increase the tire pressure some with the new tire?
Zoom45
Zoom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #28
Forza Fanatic

Steer Safe and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlucky View Post
I am currently at 84 all around. Still trying to fine tune it.
Steer Safe goes on next.

Bill
I have the same RV as you, Superlucky! Just got it. Only 1 little 2 night test run near home so far. Not without issues, but not bad.

My question: What's the Steer Safe, and why are you getting it? I'll Google this thing, of course, but getting your answer is the straight line to someone who knows my rig.

I'm towing a 4-door Jeep, which worked fine on a 50 mile test drive and our little camping trip. But next I add a Hydralift and my Road King on the back. Installer is adding Timbren Jounce Kit to the rear axle, but I'm thinking I might need more. Ride is a little mushy anyway, I think. Any advice?
Whlsdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whlsdn View Post
I have the same RV as you, Superlucky! Just got it. Only 1 little 2 night test run near home so far. Not without issues, but not bad.

My question: What's the Steer Safe, and why are you getting it? I'll Google this thing, of course, but getting your answer is the straight line to someone who knows my rig.

I'm towing a 4-door Jeep, which worked fine on a 50 mile test drive and our little camping trip. But next I add a Hydralift and my Road King on the back. Installer is adding Timbren Jounce Kit to the rear axle, but I'm thinking I might need more. Ride is a little mushy anyway, I think. Any advice?
I think your going to put too much weight on the back of this coach with your lift and Harley. Your talking about hanging 1,200lbs give or take and that is not what I would want on this gas coach.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #30
Forza Fanatic

Unhappy Overload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I think your going to put too much weight on the back of this coach with your lift and Harley. Your talking about hanging 1,200lbs give or take and that is not what I would want on this gas coach.
Well, you're pretty close on the 1,200. With gas and fluids, the Harley is 769. The Hydralift is 280, and with the garage kit, that'll add more. Haven't gotten exact on that, but let's say worst case it's 100 lbs more. That would get me within 51 lbs of your estimate. That would only leave me a 1380 load capacity after passengers. If I'm only heading for campgrounds with water hook-ups when I'm hauling the bike, I can run with fresh, gray, and black water tanks nearly empty. If a full fresh water tank is about 534 lbs, maybe I can run with only about 42 lbs in it to accommodate rest stops along the way. Then we'd be right up to your 1200 lb estimate.

I suppose 1300 lbs for typical travel loading might be close enough we'd have to be conservative.

OK. You've got me worrying. My motorhome salesman, a seasoned motorhome owner himself, assured me the shop I've dealt with for my Blue Ox tow bar and the Hydralift plus Timbren springs is a top choice shop he trusts completely. But then they won't be driving this rig down the road, will they.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

The problem you have is that the 2" receiver mount on the back of the Vista 27N is only rated for a load of 500 pounds vertical weight and to pull 5000 pounds horizontally.

This is a Ford F53 Chassis Engineering Limitation not a Winnebago imposed limitation.

Putting that extra weight on the very back of the Vista Ford F53 chassis RV far behind the rear wheels is going to have a pretty serious negative impact on the way the RV handles, even if you had someone get the chassis reinforced to safely handle the additoinal vertical weight on the rear of the chassis.

I think the only safe thing for you to do is trailer tow the Harley or upgrade to a non F53 DP RV that is rated to handle carrying a Harley hanging off the back. Not sure you could find a trailer big enough for both a car and the Harley that would fit within the 5,000 pound Ford F53 Chassis towing limit. Maybe a flatbed non-enclosed trailer would work if you had a toad that was light enough.

And only the serious big DPs can even handle hanging Harley's off the back of them.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:50 PM   #32
Forza Fanatic

I very much appreciate this input, powercat ras. Looks like I got carried away with this dream; silly not researching this more carefully to begin with. Any idea if a much lighter weight bike would be safe? Just the 280 lb of the lift itself + a bike under 400 lbs. Or is that still too much?
Old 05-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #33
Forza Fanatic

My Jeep weighs under 3700 lbs. If the bike and lift total 560 lbs, added to the Jeep that's 4260 lbs. Is that still too much because of the location of the bike?

As for having selected a more appropriate motorhome for my intentions, nah, this was at the top of my resources. Unless we settled for a much older one ...with unknown problems.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

I have having both a toad and a small cycle for travel use on my wish list for a future upgrade. For a Vista 27N the only way I have been able to figure out doing it would be to transition my toad to a small pickup truck and carry the cycle in the pickup truck bed and ramp it in and out.

If you figure something out that works for you down the road, please post a thread and let us know. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 PM   #35
Forza Fanatic

I'll bet you're right - a pick-up would be a good solution. Unfortunately I just bought the Jeep of my dreams, so no pick-up here. Actually, I'm OK with that. My 4-door Rubicon Hard Rock is awesome!

As I continue to look at possible solutions to enable a 27N to safely haul a bike (whatever the weight), if I come upon a combination, I'll post it - and let the fireworks begin.

Tags
winnebago