Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #81
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I would be glad to join you for that glass of that Scotch. By the time we had our fifth one we would have the world straightened out and then some.

OH NO we may run off the neighbors
Old 07-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #82
Winnebago Master

A View From the Truckers Side

I was wondering how things went on the flip-side.....what truckers are saying about RV drivers on their websites.

I found TruckersForum.net but did not find any threads specifically about RV's.

But I did find this interesting topic:
What is the worst State for Truck Drivers to drive in?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #83
Winnebago Master

I have met a lot of very nice truckers when on the road, Even conveyed with a few on occasion and met them for lunch when we stopped.

Takes all kinds.. I've met a lot of RVers who were very nice

And I've met some real {Term deleted by poster so the moderator would not have to}s as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #84
Winnebago Master

" But there are enough to give all MHers a black eye" yep! like the open slides + awnings at WallyWorld.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #85
Winnebago Camper

Thought a lot about adding my thoughts to this discussion. After thinking about it I decided that whatever my thoughts, opinions, providing experience operating both types of vehicles, in the long run it really dosn't matter.

We are all human beings driven by the innermost desire to accomplish whatever personal goals we have set for ourselves. The ability or lack of it impacts everyone who shares the highway. If I believed that my input regarding personal experiences while accumulating over a million miles would really make a difference, I would write them.
Bottom line, it is all talk and while entertaining, tragic, or just down to earth common sense, talking about a topic dosen't mean a damn thing to most folks. It has to be experienced to count for anything and to ultimatley be believed. Sharing war stories don't count, passing on actual experiences does as long as it provides unbiased info as to what actually occurred and what action or actions on the part of the poster, good or bad eventually led to the outcome, good or bad.

Keep it real, no BS or self agrandisment and perhaps we may all benefit regardless of our perceived or actual experiences. Over and Out...............
Old 07-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #86
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The thing about any road is that they are public and for use by any public person using any kind of vehicle, and except for highways, even bicycles.

As a former bike racer, it is awful how many motorists have utter disrespect for cyclists and sometimes even endanger the cyclist by deliberate dangerous manoeuvers.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be sometimes for truckers to share the road with others. I still find it hard to believe how many people driving small cars pull in front of trucks and RVs and suddenly slow down making it difficult or dangerous to slow down without hitting them. Happens all the time on city roads too. I would think as a trucker that'd be a lot more annoying than RVers.

It seems to me that driver training to get a licence is inadequate and could be more comprehensive for all the driving situations that can be encountered out there. Also, once you get your licence you can throw the rule book out the window and make up your own rules unless you get caught. Personally, I think drivers should get re-tested maybe every 5 or 10 years. If you don't pass, no licence renewal. Too many drivers of passenger cars and trucks don't have respect for anybody else on the road or the rules of the road.
In California we get tested every 5 years and the bad drivers are stll out there. You can make more and more rules and have more and more Government intrusion into our lives, but it won't change a thing except perhaps to increase taxes. It is not a perfect world, but it's all we have. Our problems are nothing compared to the rest of the world.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #87

Quote:
In California we get tested every 5 years and the bad drivers are stll out there. You can make more and more rules and have more and more Government intrusion into our lives, but it won't change a thing except perhaps to increase taxes. It is not a perfect world, but it's all we have. Our problems are nothing compared to the rest of the world.
I have to pass a Medical every three years in order to keep my class1A. If don't pass you go back to a plain ol' class5. There should be a driving re-test around here though. There would be a lot of people going for driver training. The trucker with "Funny Hats" can't even perform a proper "S" turn.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #88
Winnie-Wise

I appreciate truckers and I'm thankful that they do their tough job. Imagine life without them. I don't think they all hate us. If you get in my way while I'm trying to do my job, I'm going to get mad at you and probably tell you to move.
I have a 20 minute drive to work everyday, and at least 2 or 3 drivers piss me off. I can't imagine dealing with drivers and traffic for 8 -10 hours a day, 5-7 days a week, month after month........
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #89
Winnebago Master

That is another thing... I often say the RV lifestyle is not about getting there first. It is about stopping to smell the roses and at 70MPH it's harder to stop so drive 55-60, Plus the "Sweet spot" on my Intruder tends to be 55-60.

Now Truckers are often in a hurry, they have a schedule to keep and miles to go before they sleep. So getting stuck behind a "Slow moving RV" is a real pain for 'em.

On a multi-lane freeway there are some things we can do to help. But frankly not a lot (keep right mostly)

on a 2- lane I have been known to pull off on a wide spot and let 'em pass. I've had a few signal "Thank you" after passing too. But that is me.. I know what bugs the stuff out of me. and if I'm doing it to others I will do what I can to make 'em happier.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #90
Winnebago Camper

This has been a lively and enthusiastic thred of which I have learned much. Please remember that I have only driven a motorhome a few times and then only for short periods. It was my hope that I could learn things that would help me, when on the road, to not be the cause of more caose when we finally take delivery of a coach. That objective, for me, has been acheived.

In a prier life I once had an individual that I was required to work with that was very, very difficult to be around. He, on a regular bases caused more harm than good. In talking about it with a General Officer, whom I respected, I was told---he dosent have to be on your Christmas card list but you do have to work with him so make it happen.

I guess what I have taken from all this is that, it is what it is, and that if I do the best I can to not contribute to the problem I may be helping with a solution.
I thank all of you for you time.
U-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #91
Winnebago Camper

Ain't it amazing that complaints about various pets - especially dogs - in CG's seems to ONLY bring responses from the "pure as driven snow" pet owners who NEVER abuse CG rules - and that threads about poor driving habits of RVers only brings out replies from the best and most considerate RV drivers on the road...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #92
Winnebago Owner

I've driven a Class A for about 13 years and never felt truckers didn't like us. I've talked to several in rest areas, my neighbor back home is a trucker. i use to drive log trucks, but that was back before the days of many motorhomes on the roads. I try to be courteous to them on the road and find most are the same with me. Several years back I always had a CB radio and when in a strange location call for a trucker to ask the best way to bypass the heavy traffic or best lane to stay in. I have had many say just follow me I'm going that way. Give them a big thanks for the helping hand and wish them a safe run. Nothing against young folks, but I suspect many of the new truck drivers are less courteous. And remember truck driving today is a lot more stressful than in my old days of hauling logs.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #93
Winnie-Wise

I enjoy talking to truckers on my CB

There is one problem out here on the left coast. I never can identify what language they are speaking. Many times they yell something that sounds like "halfashoe".
The rest of the time it sounds like they are trying to cough up a hair ball.

Happy Motoring
Old 07-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #94
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The thing about any road is that they are public and for use by any public person using any kind of vehicle, and except for highways, even bicycles.

As a former bike racer, it is awful how many motorists have utter disrespect for cyclists and sometimes even endanger the cyclist by deliberate dangerous manoeuvers.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be sometimes for truckers to share the road with others. I still find it hard to believe how many people driving small cars pull in front of trucks and RVs and suddenly slow down making it difficult or dangerous to slow down without hitting them. Happens all the time on city roads too. I would think as a trucker that'd be a lot more annoying than RVers.

It seems to me that driver training to get a licence is inadequate and could be more comprehensive for all the driving situations that can be encountered out there. Also, once you get your licence you can throw the rule book out the window and make up your own rules unless you get caught. Personally, I think drivers should get re-tested maybe every 5 or 10 years. If you don't pass, no licence renewal. Too many drivers of passenger cars and trucks don't have respect for anybody else on the road or the rules of the road.
How many of us think we would pass the test but lots of others wouldn't? I think it's natural to think the worst of someone when we see them do something wrong while driving and to think "they should be required to take a driving test" but to forget the times when we ourselves were temporarily distracted and may have had a "near miss" with something or someone while driving. Requiring more testing would not reduce these instances and would only be yet another way for the government to collect more money from us so we can legally enjoy our RVs. Drive defensively and hope the other drivers are doing the same!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #95
Winnebago Camper

But when they have a car that is 6' or less wide and they can not stay in their lane in a construction area with barriers. Yet a tractor trailer an I can drive side by side in the same area.... they should not be allowed to drive something wider!
Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #96
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
One other observation: The truth of the matter is, most truck drivers are "loaners".

The word is LONER!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #97
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
The word is LONER!

Dang...had my hopes all up.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #98
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to waylntat2
I drive a 65 foot Rig .& also a MH ,Just not @ the same time .. I get along with my self just fine..
waylntat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #99
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Dang...had my hopes all up.
Uh oh!!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #100
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Uh oh!!
Have no fear...I'd have returned the "loaner" in good condition!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote