Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I do not understand.

2 years. 12 halogen bulbs. 12 bucks.
Must be a boondocker thing.
I plug in

Just sayin....
Just saying that I do think that you understand

I went CFL inside my home, it does save energy and the payback period is short. Different application, same arithmetic.
sailorbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

LED question from the uninformed

This is an interesting thread, but at the 300 level course. I need LED lighting 101.

What is involved in the conversion process? Is it simply removing an incandescent bulb and replacing it with an LED bulb or is the process more complicated?

Thanks
rogo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

That's all tere is to it, just swapping the lamps. Just make sure the replacement fits. Some may be to thick or long.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

I'm all for replacing lights you never want to replace again ,with LEDs, then the higher price is worth it.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
That's all tere is to it, just swapping the lamps. Just make sure the replacement fits. Some may be to thick or long.
Pretty much take the old bulb out and put the new LED in, I did have to trim the legs of a few puck lights to fit the recessed lights over dinette and couch/recliner but ended up replacing the fixtures over both seating areas with swivel reading lights which took standard 1156 base bulbs/LEDs anyway.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo88 View Post
What is involved in the conversion process? Is it simply removing an incandescent bulb and replacing it with an LED bulb or is the process more complicated?

Thanks
101 -- Yes, you can buy direct replacements for most standard bulb configurations. Can be expensive and you should probably buy just one at first to make sure the colour is to your liking. Usually available in warm white or white but the colours and light output aren't always what you imagine. Sometimes needs a good dose of Confirmation Bias before you can tell the world how fantastic they are.

201 -- If you are an experimenter, you can buy strips and individual leds to make up your own - usually cheaper and sometimes with better results.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

I recently bought a couple of "warm white" led bulbs on ebay.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230827050595?...84.m1439.l2649

I wasnt expecting much, but I was pleasently surprised. I'm kind of particular about the colour. Some of the LED's I've tried before were terrible harsh blue or ice white colour, BUT I'm pretty happy with the latest bulbs.

Pic without lens cover fitted.

Pic with lens covers fitted.
Blag is offline   Reply With Quote