Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The Freightliner manual says to change filters at 24 months....Is this reasonale if no moisture appears in the system...When do you change yours? (Miles or time) thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The Freightliner manual says to change filters at 24 months....Is this reasonale if no moisture appears in the system...When do you change yours? (Miles or time) thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My coach had 31K miles when we got it so I got the kit from NAPA for about $100. I had planned to change it myself but let my RV guy do it at the annual maintenance...he charged me one hour labor ($55) to do it. He told me (as did the local FL folks) that I could probably go 4 - 5 years if I was only going to put 5 -6K miles on it per year.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Air driers are going to vary in lifetimes. It all depends upon how much moisture they pump through them. The latest Haldex Purest air drier states that 3 years is a recommended cycle but that it will vary. 3 years of pumping dry air in Arizona isn't bad but if you travel in high humidity areas that time will shorten. The more miles you drive, the faster they'll wear out but they'll also wear out from just sitting there so it's tough to predict. The main thing is to manually drain your tanks on a regular basis. If you find that the wet tank suddenly starts to spit out more moisture than it used to, it's time to replace the desicant filter kit. Checking is the best way rather than try to tie it to a schedule. Personally, I check mine but when it gets to be 3 years I'll change it anyway just to be sure it doesn't happen on a trip. When I first got my Bus the air dryer failed after a short time and I had to manually drain the tanks every night so a little pre-emptive strike helps to minimize having to do that again.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Has anyone actually changed the air dryer filter themselves? I understand it can be a pretty hairy and dirty job on the late model Journeys and Meridians.Does the whole dryer assembly have to be dropped down to get to the filter or can it all be done in place? I never like to remove air or water lines from anything unless absolutely necessary, it seems they always leak when first reinstalled and have to be redone several times to stop the leaks. Mine will probably need the filters replaced within the next year. I like to do as much maintenance myself as I can, that way I know it actually got done.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Wagonmaster:

I primary reason I did not change mine myself was due to it's location and it looked like the entire unit would need to be removed to complete the job (according to instructions in the kit..mine is Haldex).

My rv mechanic did completely remove the dryer to service it (saw it on his workbench). He said it was a knuckle-buster job.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I've had mine off. It's an easy 3 bolts to hold it onto the frame mounting bracket, the heater wire unplugs, and the three air lines are the push-in (no tools) connection. It's really pretty easy. Then you can work on the assembly on a workbench rather than upside down underneath the coach.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks everyone - I may just try it myself.
wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote