Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What is the DUMBEST thing you did to your coach!!!

Hi Guys & Gals:

My last post about the really dumb thing I did by leaving my antenna up and driving away got alot of responces. Not to mention the need of a new antenna.

So it seems that many of us, God help us, did some pretty dumb, and laughable things while camping and working on are RV's.

So all in good fun, come on and fester up and tell us what was the dumbest thing you ever did with your coach. !!!!

At least it will give us a laugh and for me, just maybe to put it on my list of NOT TO DO's...

Here ia another one, ALMOST but not quite. I was in a hurry when picking up the coach from our storage, and was checking the dash, air bags and such, I was just ready to pull out when my wife yells whooooa.... she was standing outside. I left all the wheel covers on the wheels....duhhhhh I thought that was her job..??

Yeah, Yeah, ok you guys and gals are up next... LOL..

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Left the 2009 Perry FMCA convention with my new Vectra to many waves and cheers as I got on 1-75... I had left my TV antenna up. Lucky for me - no damage except to my pride.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

But my all time dumbest thing was in my previous coach. We were detoured through some construction zones on our way to the Long Island Ferry returning from a week in Cape Cod. I ended up looking at a low bridge (10'8") or the choice of unhooking my toad and turning around. You guessed right, I dropped my air and went for it. Lost my rear AC unit. Not one of my best moments.

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Tight turn to leave a campground which I made fine with the coach.

But that darn small tree on the corner jumped right between the coach and tow dolly, stopping me short.

20 minutes later finally free with some campground assistance, a very red face and a long line of RVers waiting in line behind me to leave the campground.

I hate those moving trees!
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I haven't had a dumbest moment but I wanted to post so I can see what the rest of you have done...
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi EHJim:

Ahhhh come on.... chicken.....
Old 04-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jimjr.

Man that took guts.... at least you knew that you might not make it...

I'd say that was a calculated risk... that you LOST..

Good one though... Only the BRAVe survive...

Regards... Jim P.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Started talking with another camper while I was flushing the closed black tank. The wife was cleaning the toilet. Won't ever do that again
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have two:

1. My DW and I went to Camp Newmar for service years ago. We had 4 cats that could not stay there due to the service work we needed to have completed. She took the cats in the Toad and went to her parents who lived 250 miles away and I would follow with the MH when the service was completed. The service work took 3 days, so I slept in the MH at night and they worked on it during the day.

Now as most of you know when you do this as a couple each has their own assignments and responsibilities. One of my DWs was to unplug the electric. Well when leaving the morning after service, I got everything ready, started her up and pulled out. All the people I had met while there were out and waving as I left. I thought, how nice, I had met some really nice people. Then one of the Guys started running alongside of me pounding the side of the MH. I stopped and went outside. Alongside of the MH was my 50 amp power cord with the power box, pole, a foot square piece of concrete and lots of wires attached to the end. Those power cords are tough!

2. When I got to my DWs parents house, I parked at the side and plugged into the 30 amp power box they had installed for us. It worked out well, they lived in the country and we just ran a grey water hose out into the farm field and we thought if we were careful, we could go two weeks on the black tank. When the two week and full tank time arrived, I had bought a "Blue Boy" to empty the black tank into and then dump it into their septic tank. I had it all figured out, remove the small inspection cap in their tank and dump the contents of the Blue Boy into it.

Well, when I hooked up the sewer hose to the Blue Boy, I knew that it would only hold 20 gallons and my tank was 50 gallons, so after hooking up, I bent over so I would be able to see the fluid level and when it was time to shut off the black valve.

Do you know how much pressure is in that 50 gallon tank and that if you open the black, that pressure along with the air in the sealed Blue Boy, gives you a burp affect similar to downing a Pepsi too fast, no place for the air to go. That pressure burp popped that sewer hose off just as I leaned over to look at the level. That sewer hose with about 30 gallons in the tank started a whippin like a mad serpent snake back and forth and sprayed me like a fire hose. As I was trying to get the black valve closed that sucker sprayed all over me from head to toe. I got it stopped and now the tank was empty of it's 50 gallons of you know what , 15 in the Blue Boy and 35 on me.

My DW and her parents could not stop laughing as I gagged and almost lost my cookies. My DW made me go to the back of their house and strip while she hosed me down with the garden hose. Now I want to tell you, it took me 3 years to feel clean again! I still gag a little every time I have to dump the black tank!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Jimmy, it sad that you did not get that on tape....a sure winner for FHV.

ken
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If you haven't seen it, my DWs favorite video is "RV". She shows it to everyone who comes to visit and laughs and laughs, kind of irritating!
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

That is absolutely terrible, but I'm glad it was you not me!

On our last RV, Montana 3400RL I had extended the slides and then went to hook up the serpentine hose. My back was bothering me so I asked DW if she could help. Of course, she said yes and I told her to take the black cap off the sewer line and put the slinky on. She ask if she was going to get anything on her. I said, "No!" She popped the cap off the sewer line and a gush of water came out. Fortunately it was the gray that was open. Do you know she will not get near a sewer line to this day.

#2: On our maiden voyage with the new '08 MH we were evacuating from IKE. We had just taken custody of the MH and did not have any tow equipment hooked up. She said she would follow me her car. It was night time. She stopped for fuel, and I continued on to a campground that we had been to before. I had called ahead for my site assignment and knew that I would have to go to the turn-around so that I could back in properly. In making the swing around the turnaround, there was a pickup truck parked parallel in the road. I had to back up so I could clear the truck. I did not see the 3 inch metal, cement filled, pole in a cement ball. I had readjusted my attitude of the coach and pulling forward put a big dent in a bay door. Fortunately the ground was wet and the pole bent out of the ground at the cement ball. The dnet is still there as a reminder. But I do intend to get it fixed.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If you do a search of the RV Humor section, you'll see my post about driving my old Class C through a tunnel on the Needles Highway in SD.

That is only ONE of the MANY dumb things I've done with my motorhome...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jim Stewart:

OMG..... I do believe after the power cord pullout and then the Black Hose Eruption, I would of gave up RVing right then and there.

You are a bigger man than me..... Wow maybe I could get the DW to hook up my black hose from now on..... nawhhh that wouldn't work, one incident with that and I would be in divorce court.

By the way, the RV movie DVD is a staple in our coach, love Robin Williams in that movie.

Keep in coming guys, but I think JS's story is gonna be hard to beat.

Jim P.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We pulled out of s rest area after a quick nap and all is well with our world. Its around 0430, light rain, and we're heading to the Gulf Coast. Running with a buddy in a Tropical and I noticed our Discovery was lugging and he was pulling away -- DW said she kept hearing a noise as we went under an overpass. Hey, I got this thing under control -- country music on and happy as a pig in _____!!

Well, the noise was getting louder and DW giving me the evil eye, I pulled over and checked things outside the coach. The darn toad had blown a front tire and I had been dragging the Jeep for over 5 miles. Tire was completely gone and the wheel was worn down with the axle dragging on the road. Expensive lesson/experience that I don't want to repeat.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Does "IN" your coach count?

Driving across TX in M/H years ago. (Soon to be) EX GF sleeping in rear bedroom, door closed. Stopped at a rest area to let dogs out and after 10 minutes back into the coach and on the road again.
20+ miles later a TX Cop lights me up and asked if I was missing anything. "No Sir, been watching the boat in the camera, checked it at the last rest area, it was OK". .......slow brain starts to work......... "Sir, wait one while I check the B/R". "No need" he replies, "unless you have more then one GF".

A long drive back to the rest area followed by a longer night on the couch with the dogs.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
But my all time dumbest thing was in my previous coach. We were detoured through some construction zones on our way to the Long Island Ferry returning from a week in Cape Cod. I ended up looking at a low bridge (10'8") or the choice of unhooking my toad and turning around. You guessed right, I dropped my air and went for it. Lost my rear AC unit. Not one of my best moments.
South of I-95 in CT in general and Fairfield County in particular are notorious for low bridges (usually railroad underpasses). I had a friend who drove a paper delivery truck in New Haven and Fairfield county . . . he took came upon a low bridge in Fairfield one day and slooooowly went under . . . on the way back he didn't even slow down . . . unfortunately he had unloaded a couple full skids of paper and the truck was taller . . . tore off the first few feet of the box top!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt View Post
Does "IN" your coach count?

Driving across TX in M/H years ago. (Soon to be) EX GF sleeping in rear bedroom, door closed. Stopped at a rest area to let dogs out and after 10 minutes back into the coach and on the road again.
20+ miles later a TX Cop lights me up and asked if I was missing anything. "No Sir, been watching the boat in the camera, checked it at the last rest area, it was OK". .......slow brain starts to work......... "Sir, wait one while I check the B/R". "No need" he replies, "unless you have more then one GF".

A long drive back to the rest area followed by a longer night on the couch with the dogs.

that is funny
i could imagine doing it and then taking the long way back
Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I ain't fessin' up to nothin' (twas too stuped)

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Small one but we were reminded of it every time we used the bathroom in the previous MH.

Our first RV and first real trip. It's winter here in NY and both of us at that time worked outdoors. Both of us, as usual for that time of year have cracked fingers. About one day into our escape to Fl. DW decides to put NuSkin on her split fingers. It is kind of like a medicated super glue to seal them up. She drops the open little bottle in the bathroom sink that is some kind of plastic. There was a brown stain in the sink bowl the day we traded it in.

I never said a word knowing that I am the spill and drop stuff king in our household. Well sure enough I made up for it a little. Being a homebrewer I had brought plenty of samples. So of course if I was to spill one it would be the darkest possible to christen the light color carpet.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote