Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I am sure that some of you have come up with some pretty innovative racks for storing particular items. I would be very interested in viewing some of those if anyone is willing to share some pictures
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
I am sure that some of you have come up with some pretty innovative racks for storing particular items. I would be very interested in viewing some of those if anyone is willing to share some pictures
I don't know if you would call them racks but, if you have seen the storage shelves like you can buy at Lowes, HD, etc that are put together with the poles on the four corners --- I have cut the poles shorter and by using them, I have been able to "double stack" some of my compartments which makes it easier to get to some items. That's the problem with a DP -- it has too much carrying capacity. I pretty much have everything but a spare kitchen sink.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
corvettec3 I'm with you. We've been doing this for over a dozen years putting on over 100,000 miles between the ones we rented (before purchasing) and the one we own. In all that time we haven't accumulated enough "necessary" junk to fill all the outdoor cabinets. Not only that but everytime we hit the road (usually 1 to 3 months at a time) we go through the cabinets and remove all the junk we haven't uded in 2 or more years.

I took the liberty of copying zipo's post and highlighting in red the things we don't take with us.

Hikerdog do you carry reflective signs? most states require that you have flares or reflective signs.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

We are full timers so we tend to carry more than the part timers do. Everything we own is in the motorhome. Here is a list of some of the things we carry: shovel, rake, broom, small pruning saw, hand pruners, bucket for washing RV and all the cleaning and polishing items, assortment of garden flags and flag holder, name sign and holder, American flag and state flags and holder, seasonal decorations, 3' Christmas tree, 3 spiral Christmas tree decorations for outside, electric heater, water softener and covered bucked for the salt, rain gear and rubber boots, hiking boots, plastic bin with extra tools and repair parts, 4 chairs, folding table, gas BBQ and stand, BBQ tools and extra propane bottles, mesh Sun Guard type window coverings, awning drape and tie downs, lots of extra towels for drying the rig after washing with hard water. I know there is a lot more but this is what I can think of without even going out and looking in the bins.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip0 View Post
Hikerdog do you carry reflective signs? most states require that you have flares or reflective signs.
We've never carried either flares or reflective signs in the motorhome. I used to carry flares in my truck. The only time I went to use them they were so old they wouldn't light and fell apart. We do have a couple combination flashlights that have large orange strobes on top. we've never used them, but then we've never had a reason to.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs,
You may have seen these before but, you'll have even more space left with a little organization. I used to do this as side job while being a regular fireman. I set fire trucks up for use when they were brand new. It kind of followed me into retirement.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Scott, that is a service truck as well as an RV ..... love it
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up,
Now that's what I call "squared away"... Thanks for the pictures!
Good man
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Gang,
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Like I stated, I did it for a living for over 24 years while being a regular fireman. If there's one thing that bugs the heck out of me it's knowing I've got something either I or another camper or friend etc is in need of while we're out camping and I can't find it because of disorganization. Well, as you can see, I've just about cured it completely. It's not so much that I like carrying stuff or, I'm anal about neatness, it's the fact that I hate wasting time looking for stuff, and making a job that should have taken a few minutes turn into an hour or more because I can't find what I need.

Many of the brackets, clips, etc. that I used come from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace hardware, or places like Grainger, Tractor Supply and McMaster Carr on line. There's tons of places out there that will supply you with lots of mounting hardware for your needs. All you have to do is figure out what goes where, and get the most effecient use of space from each compartment. Keep the floor vacant until absolutely necessary.

Sure, there will be some things that have to go in to a box because you can't mount it like, ropes, tarps, and much more. But, I only put into boxes, (and I only have two small boxes around 14"x10"x8" high) that carry "What if" stuff. Other than that, all I need is what you see mounted. Those little orange gizmo's mounted on the wall beside my tool box are actually LED emergency lights. The wife got those from Home Depot. They flash really bright and have eight different flash patterns. You can see them from a long way away. They are "velcroed" to the carpeted wall.

The Paper towel holder, is MAGNETIC! I got it from Harbor Freight. It's great and can be mounted anywhere there's metal. The trays are TIG welded aluminum I made up one afternoon for my Oil, Transynd, Lacquer thinner, carb cleaner, electrical contact cleaner, Kroil, and more.

Anyway, it just makes for easy camping when you know exactly where an item is and go right to a compartment and reach for it.
Scott
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Put it back where you got it and it will be there the next time you need it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Since we only go camping in our MH we carry only those items we will use or need for that time. I don't carry a large assortment of tolls because if I have a major issue I will stop and fix or wait until I return home. I carry emergency items for minor repairs. If it is real major I have roadside asst. As our kids get older we reduce what toys we carry. That leaves me plenty of room for wood. I carry it from home since we don't travel outside of the PNW and I live on almost 3 acres of wooded land.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

I could use a whole lot more basement.. But the answer to what I carry there is: All sorts of Junque (That's junk with class)

Cords, hoses, spare parts, tools, grill chairs, lights, more parts, paint (touch up) inverter, converter, more cords, spare 12 volt power supplies for radios, spare DVD player, Pit-2-go fire pit Chain saw, hammers (Sledge) axe (sevral) wedges (2) jacks, air compressor, tire covers (except around seleted holidays when I use them) two Mr. Christmas brand image projectors (Why I use the wheel covers... AKA projection screens) 12' Painter's pole. (used for a number of things, NEVER used as a painter's pole) Lumber .. and so on and so on and so on.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

basement storage

moonshine.guns&mexicans
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

I really do not have no idea what's in there, the deeper in the more the mistery
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
moonshine.guns&mexicans
wowwwww!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Exactly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Put it back where you got it and it will be there the next time you need it.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #37
Winnie-Wise

I try to carry a selection of new or used parts and tools to fix just about anything that may break during any of my camping trips. This almost always assures me that none of these parts will ever break. The things that usually break are those that I do not carry parts or tools to fix.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

That's my rule too. Break a part, carry spare, and you will never break that part again.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

I thought that only happened to me
Scott
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Fire Up that is just to neat.

I moved stuff from my other Class A and I swear I ran out of room in this bigger one. But I need to organize better.

I have 3 folding chairs and I think they take up to much room, a folding table. Table top Coleman stove I have as yet to use and extra propane canisters for it. 3 fishing poles in the nice rack for them. Fishing kit with lures, etc Hubby put in a ladder and I need a small step one if I'm going to use the window awnings, tall as I am I can't reach them.

Laundry detergent and rinse, cleaners, a bucket, rags. Toilet and toweling paper. Kitty litter, cat food, and cat carrier. Tool box full of tools. Box with fuses, eternabond and other items.

I bought 2 long rolling Christmas storage boxes, can't get the lids on, to high but they just fit inside to hold loose things that will roll around. But they are full of ropes, tarps, all kinds of misc everything like a portable battery charger. I have a bag of extra towels that I hope I won't need with the washer and dryer. An electric heater will take the extra one also. A broom, likely need a sweeper with the carpet, didn't need one before except a little battery powered one and let a tenant use it. It was compact and really need to get another, can give it a good sweeping when I get home with the big one.

In one bay is a coil of cable line to connect to the cable inlet. Also a 30 amp adapter and extra extension in case the receptacle is far away have used it twice. In another my drain lines, rubber gloves and a towel for wiping things off.

In the fresh water bay a hose, pair of channel locks to get them tighter or loose and to remove drain screw in tops. Need to add a jug of clorox to sanitize those with.

There is also some extra food in a basket down there, I usually carry 2 extra cases of diet sodas and a case of water.

I think a rake would be a good idea if I camp at a state park some of those campsites are not clean. In the others most are, though I stayed at one park that was not cheap and the site was a mess.

We are thinking of removing the wine cabinet that we will never use. I guess we could just put material on each shelf to make it solid and put some of the stick on window covering so we can use it for storage. However, if we ever sell it that might be a nice selling feature especially if they are wine or other alcohol drinkers.

We don't have as much closet and drawer space in this one as we did the Winnie so I may have to put some items in the bay. An there is no under the bed storage that we had before with the gas coach.

I know we aren't full timers and haven't got to go much yet and I likely have more junk in there then any of you seasoned travelers. I need to realize there are Walmarts in every town and I don't need to stock up for the apocalypse.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage