Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

It looks like not everyone likes the washer/dryer combo. I've read some posts that suggest you need to be in a campsite with full hookups to use them? Is that correct? Can't decide if we should order our MH with one. I guess we could always install one later if we think we need it right?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It looks like not everyone likes the washer/dryer combo. I've read some posts that suggest you need to be in a campsite with full hookups to use them? Is that correct? Can't decide if we should order our MH with one. I guess we could always install one later if we think we need it right?
Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You need to look at the water consumption and see if you have sufficient fresh water storage as well as the the grey water storage capacity. The washers use a fair amount of power, so you will need to run the generator during operation.

I don't really see how a washer and dryer could be used in boon-docking.

Ken
Old 09-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My wife LOVES her washer/dryer combo. She never would have ordered one but is now glad our coach came with one. She most likes the fact that she can put in a load of clothes, go do something, come back and just fold the load. NO transfer from the washer to the dryer. No smelly load that was forgotton in the washer.

Boondocking is all about water management and how soon before you can 'dump and pump' your tanks. Our dealer told us to leave the grey water drain valve open when we used the washer/dryer. But if you have an empty grey tank and plenty of fresh, you can use the washer/dryer while boondocking, but probably only about two loads.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">you need to be in a campsite with full hookups to use them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As I recall, our Splendide manual says "up to 17 gallon" of water for a cycle on the highest use setting, but I am pretty certain the permanent press cold water cycle we normally use doesn't use that much. But the biggest boondocking issue won't be water, it will be power. I don't know off hand the amp hour requirement, but sure don't believe you are going to be able to run one off batteries and an inverter ...maybe the washer, but not the dryer!! We have run ours driving down the highway with the generator running.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rdalcanto:
It looks like not everyone likes the washer/dryer combo. I've read some posts that suggest you need to be in a campsite with full hookups to use them? Is that correct? Can't decide if we should order our MH with one. I guess we could always install one later if we think we need it right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dear wife *loves* her Splendide - it has saved many trips to a laundromat when it would be inconvenient. Jane doesn't mind the laundromats, but they are not always handy or clean.

Rarely will we try to use it when not on full hookups. When we do use it on less than full hookups, it is with the plan that we can shortly dump.

I installed mine only because Winnebago would not upgrade/change the 2000 model for the 2100 model (larger drum) for my '05. Ironically, Winnie started using the 2100 model in the '06 model year . It is not a project I would want to do again - the Splendide is very heavy and difficult to move into the coach. I used my front-end loader to lift the unit up to the floor level of the coach and then slid it inside on a wooden ramp.

Order yours with the Splendide - you won't be sorry.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Using the washer while boondocking probably isn't a great idea just because of water usage then needing to dump but when we are at GNR I do use my washer since it's easy to get water and we just pay for the dump ticket. I have found it's usually cheaper to pay to dump than it is to go to the laundry. I can do 3 loads before needing to dump. I usually don't dry but use a drying rack instead and that does use alittle less water.

Love my Splendide 2100xc!!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wife loves the splendide, we put a 2100 in our coach. She has had one in the last 2 coaches and would not be without it. You just have to know when you are going to be able to dump. We have even done wash driving down the highway.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have the 2100 Splendide and love it. We spent the summer at a park with water and electric and ended up getting dumped 2 times a week while using our washer extensively. The key for us is waste water management and we were OK with the 180 gallon capacity we have (we have an extra dump valve that allows me to move water from one tank to another -- really helps!). We have done wash while fully boondocking and find we run low on fresh water after a couple days of showers and 2 or three loads of wash.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

The common thread in this thread is "She LOVES it!"

Buy one and install it and she will learn where to use it. You will not have to get involved. It is a DW thing.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You will not have to get involved. It is a DW thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Eh ??? Maybe I need to trade my current DW in for a new one ...the one I have claims she doesn't know how to operate the Splendide !!!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have a washer and dryer in our fifth wheel (separate units) and we do quite a bit of dry camping.

We have 4 100-watt solar panels, 4 AGM batteries, and a 2000-watt pure sine wave inverter/charger. We also have 2 Honda 2000's as backup. While it would be possible to run both the washer and the dryer using the Honda's (I wouldn't even consider it on the inverter...I'm sure the dryer would have the batteries drained in no time), there's no way I'd do washing in a dry camping situation because it would use up too much of our 62-gallon fresh water capacity.

We usually check into a full hookup RV park for a day or two so we can do laundry. However, if we weren't able to do that, we'd use a laundromat.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The Destination 39N has a 79 gallon gray water tank. Based on what I'm hearing, that should do a couple loads....
Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #14

[quote]As I recall, our Splendide manual says "up to 17 gallon" of water for a cycle on the highest use setting, but I am pretty certain the permanent press cold water cycle we normally use doesn't use that much. But the biggest boondocking issue won't be water, it will be power. I don't know off hand the amp hour requirement, but sure don't believe you are going to be able to run one off batteries and an inverter ...maybe the washer, but not the dryer!! We have run ours driving down the highway with the generator running.

Just to echo most of the others, I LOVE having the Splendide in our coach. However, friends of ours are full timers and ran their Splendide while going down the road, with the generator. After only doing that twice, the dryer would not heat so they called Splendide and were told that they needed a new board and they strongly suggested NOT to use it while on the road. It can cause the board to "fry" due to the change in power. Don't know all the operational reasons, but she asked me to pass this along if the subject ever came up on the forum.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Paul

Hope that the DW doesn't read these posts ---- LOL
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hope that the DW doesn't read these posts ---- LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not a chance!! She quit doing email about 3 years ago, and I haven't taught her how to operate my new laptop either!!!

BTW -- she also "doesn't know how" to operate the central vac system. There are some things we guys just have to do for ourselves...
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
BTW -- she also "doesn't know how" to operate the central vac system. There are some things we guys just have to do for ourselves... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smart gal!!! I'll have to try that one on our next trip!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote