Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Toasters, which one to get??

Just bought my firt MH...a 2019 Navion 24D. Been reading tons of stuff during my "education" period deciding what/which to get. So the wife and I have been talking about how we want to outfit the unit and the subject of breakfast and therefor, toast, came up. Anyone use a toaster? Which brand and model? Do they really suck up some juice? I can't see trying to make toast in a convection microwave!
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just buy an inexpensive 2 slot toaster at Wal-Mart. They use well under 1,000 watts. Under $ 20. Can be used on the OEM 1,000 watt inverter if your Navion is equipped with one and you dry camp.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

This is the one I just bought. I selected it specifically because it used only 900 watts of power so it would work with my 1000W inverter. When I tested it, the inverter monitor measured it at 890W of power, which is perfect. It also toasts both sides of the bread pretty even, which I like. It takes large items like bagels, and generally speaking the Amazon "Basics" brand is usually good stuff. For $18 it's a good deal.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Get one of these
- no battery draw, no generator,no electricity. It's what I use in the early AM, along with a stove top percolator
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T View Post
Get one of these
- no battery draw, no generator,no electricity. It's what I use in the early AM, along with a stove top percolator
Correct, no electricity, but now I have to watch my toast cook. My time is more valuable. A toaster that auto cooks and pops-up when done is my preference. I won't burn my toast from distraction, and it's something else I don't have to clean.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just get an inexpensive toaster from Target or Walmart. I do the same for inside the house. I’ve never felt the need to have an expensive one.
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Just the good old two slice Sunbeam Toaster works as good as the foo-foo ones.
Stay basic and you can't go wrong and save a few bucks in the process.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all. I suppose my concern is depleting my batteries. Until I actually get out there and start using the thing I am just wagging at stuff. Your experiences help in making initial decisions to move forward with something or wait to see what happens.
DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
CoveredWagon

I bought my RV from my mother. Since they were almost always at full hook up campgrounds, they used a toaster oven. She cooked most of their meals with the Toaster Oven and the Microwave! Why use Propane when your electricity is included in the campsite cost? She also carried an electric skillet for the same reason! My wife and I boondock more than use campgrounds, so I use a stove top perculator for coffee. We don't normally eat breakfast, but the stove top and the microwave (run on generator) suffices! Normally we go to Subway or Arby's so we don't have to wash dishes later! We have small grey water tanks....it's a good excuse anyways!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I like your style, Phil-T, been using these since Ike was President. (and we wuz atent'n it)

Fits today's culture, i.e. retro cool, totally recyclable, no exotic minerals mined by children, weighs nothing so keeps fuel consumption and carbon footprint down, folds into a 1/2" disk, no amp hour concerns, confuses the heck out of your grandkids.

Think of it! You're going to be standing there frying bacon anyway, how hard is it to watch this.

However, if you're going to do coffee, it has to be COFFEE.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ditto the toaster oven. Hate the convection microwave (no oven in our rig). Toaster oven, instant pot, and electric frying pan and I can do anything!
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #12
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

be sure to get one without a plug on it . that way You don't have to see the wifey freak out when the smoke pod goes off ...
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

For convenience DW got a cheap elec 2-slice at Walmart.
My preferred toaster is the old - ancient - 1# coffee can (1950-something low & fat tin can, nail holes in the bottom and old guitar string criss-crossed to support the bread) I've been using since my scouting years. Very best toast ever, especially if done over wood coals.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Since I'm the only one that has toast in the morning I use a camping fork. The ones you use to make hotdogs or toasted marshmallow. I stick the fork threw the bread turn a burner one and rotate it until golden brown.
randyg
randyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Team

I am thinking of buying a Talkie Toaster for the Eagle5:
Eagle5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Get both the inexpensive 2-slicer and the low-tech stovetop toaster (you can use it on your camp stove). Then you have the best of both worlds for a minimum investment. Anything larger than a 2-slicer is going to be a pain to store.

Although I hate running my generator, I think it would be more efficient to run your generator for a few minutes to make toast and coffee than depleting your batteries. Now, running it for hours to deal with a residential refrigerator is another thing altogether.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We bought ours on Amazon for $20 and liked so much we purchased another one for our home. It is a Bosenkitchen brand. Compact, lightweight and makes great toast.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We have the non electric one. Have used it for many years through slide in truck campers, and now our Voyage lite. It takes up hardly any room, works when we are not plugged in. I have enjoyed reading the stories about toasters. This is one of the best threads in a while.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote