Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We own a 04 Horizon 40AD. The weight rating for our Coach is 12000#s on the front Axel and 20,000#s on the rear which gives me the 32000# GVWR. That said, I noticed that the 06 Horizon 40FD which now has 4 slides has increased the GVWR to 34,320#s. As far as I can tell the chassis, suspension etc. stayed the same. It appears that the difference is the new Michellin tires that are being used 275/80R22.5 LRH XZA1. All of this leads me to the reason for this post. We are Motorcycle enthusiasts and I have debated about putting a lift on the back of our MH. I weighed the Coach and have a formula for the effective weight of the lift and the motoecycle given the lever arm behind the rear wheel. I'm not comfortable with the slim margine I have. How about changing to the new tires which ups my GVWR and gives me a margin of safety. The new tires will be expensive but I thought I would try to sell the relatively new tires that are on the Coach now.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We own a 04 Horizon 40AD. The weight rating for our Coach is 12000#s on the front Axel and 20,000#s on the rear which gives me the 32000# GVWR. That said, I noticed that the 06 Horizon 40FD which now has 4 slides has increased the GVWR to 34,320#s. As far as I can tell the chassis, suspension etc. stayed the same. It appears that the difference is the new Michellin tires that are being used 275/80R22.5 LRH XZA1. All of this leads me to the reason for this post. We are Motorcycle enthusiasts and I have debated about putting a lift on the back of our MH. I weighed the Coach and have a formula for the effective weight of the lift and the motoecycle given the lever arm behind the rear wheel. I'm not comfortable with the slim margine I have. How about changing to the new tires which ups my GVWR and gives me a margin of safety. The new tires will be expensive but I thought I would try to sell the relatively new tires that are on the Coach now.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
We own a 04 Horizon 40AD. The weight rating for our Coach is 12000#s on the front Axel and 20,000#s on the rear which gives me the 32000# GVWR.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It doesn't matter if you ran tires that would give you 30,000lb carrying capacity you are limited to the 20,000 (GAWR) rating of the rear axle regardless of the tires that may be installed.

We've spoken about this before over the years and I'm sure you will get follow on posts that will tell you pretty much the same thing.

You need to consider an alternate solution.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm assuming that there were no other changes and that the axle/diff/suspension/brakes that are in my MH are the same as in the 06 model. I will talk to Winnebago and Freightliner.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hey John - I think driVer has it nailed - our rear axle is rated at 20k period. The 2006 model has a higher capacity front axle.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
I will talk to Winnebago and Freightliner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> There you go! Good Idea! It's always best to seek answers from the folks that built your motorhome. I'm sure they will be a big help to you in explaining what your options are.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi hogbreth,
I don't think that Michelin makes a 275/80R22.5 LRH XZA1. There is an XZA-1+ but it has the same rating as the XZE. ( http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli.../AllTreads.jsp ) They do have a 295/60R22.5 LRJ XZA1 that requires a wider rim and can handle 7,390 Lbs. as a front tire. The Freightliner website lists two different ZF front suspensions, one at 12,000 Lbs. and one at 14,600 Lbs. ( http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/mh_default.asp?page=mh_xc&nav=xc ) I'm guessing that the 06 FD is using the higher rated axle.

Since the 275/80R22.5 LRG XZE tire is only rated for 6,175 Lbs., the higher rated axle would therefore require a tire and rim different than what was originally installed on the 04 Horizon.

Probably moot though as pointed out by DriVer and John. The rear axle is where the additional weight of the motor cycle would wind up, lifting the front by about half the total weight of the bike and carrier and adding 1.5 times the weight of the bike and carrier to the rear axle. Dony wanted to get a bike for her 50th and I calculated that the rear axle would just handle the weight of a carrier and a 275 Lb. Honda 250. Our rear axle is loaded at a little over 18,000 Lbs.

How about a TOAD TOAD? I'm always amazed when I see a Class A pulling a Car pulling a trailer.