Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Suburban furnace not firing?

The front furnace on our 2016 Winnebago is not firing. We lost the mother board the FIRST night out in November. Had our local mobile tech replace it with a Dinosaur board which Suburban paid for. It worked fin all winter. After setting for 3 weeks, it is not firing again.

The fan comes on. I hear the igniter clicking and smell gas. The furnace will light for 1-2 seconds putting out a puff of heat from the exhaust. Stove top is working with good blue flame. Tank reads 86%. No obstructions in intake or exhaust. Anybody got a suggestion of anything to check? Mobile tech will be back in area in a few weeks. Can wait till then.

Yes, it is still under warranty, but nearest service in CW in Colorado Springs that is 2 1/2 hours away. Would rather pay out of pocket service call than go through the time and money wasting effort of going to CW.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
The front furnace on our 2016 Winnebago is not firing. We lost the mother board the FIRST night out in November. Had our local mobile tech replace it with a Dinosaur board which Suburban paid for. It worked fin all winter. After setting for 3 weeks, it is not firing again.

The fan comes on. I hear the igniter clicking and smell gas. The furnace will light for 1-2 seconds putting out a puff of heat from the exhaust. Stove top is working with good blue flame. Tank reads 86%. No obstructions in intake or exhaust. Anybody got a suggestion of anything to check? Mobile tech will be back in area in a few weeks. Can wait till then.

Yes, it is still under warranty, but nearest service in CW in Colorado Springs that is 2 1/2 hours away. Would rather pay out of pocket service call than go through the time and money wasting effort of going to CW.
BVThunder
What is the model number of your Suburban furnace?

I suspect your Suberban Electrode Assembly, (aka: "flame sensor"), needs cleaning, is not adjusted properly... or has gone bad:

SUBURBAN 232286 ELECTRODE ASSEMBLY

BTW, in my experience CW is not good place to get reliable RV service, (or advice).

Mel
'96 Safari, (Suberban SF-42F)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

BVThunder, here is a link to the service manual, as a good trouble shooting guide.
Agree with Mel sounds like a flame sensor issue.
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Suburban_Service_Manual.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses. We were on the road today. Will download the manual when we get settled for a couple days.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

BV - interested in reading about your fix. I'm having a similar problem with our front furnace, also 2016 Journey. Difference is that our furnace blower starts but it fails to ignite at all, not even a puff.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This is really strange. Both furnaces are functioning normally now. I hate intermittent problems. Now, I'm suspecting the thermostat.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

BVThunder have you moved to a lower altitude? I would also check propane pressure with the stove top and both furnaces on.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
This is really strange. Both furnaces are functioning normally now. I hate intermittent problems. Now, I'm suspecting the thermostat.
Yeah, same thing happened to me for awhile. But then the rear furnace began working regularly (and still does) but the front went dead and stayed dead. I'm suspecting either the circuit board or the T-stat.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have had same problem. 2008 factory and 2 dealers could not find a problem.

It was intermittent, so I have an independent guy look at it, it worked when he was here. He has to come back when other parts come in. I tried it next day didn't work.

It fires, lights, and goes out in a few seconds. His thought is circuit board, I will suggest the flame sensor when he is here.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace