Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #141
Winnebago Owner

NMBluept,

WS wipers have never been a strong suit for most MH's. We had a 1999 DS 34' with a kitchen slide and we loved it. The wipers only worked after i completely rebuilt the arm mechanisms. The wipers would hit off the coach at the top and bottom. Nothing that they offered worked.

Here's one simple possible solution to the wiper issue. For visibility purposes in bad rain there is really no reason so have a wiper that is beyond 28 to 30" long. All the extra weight on long wipers just makes it more taxing on a weak ineffective system. Try reducing the length of each wiper as far as needed so they have less weight to stop and start.

I've reduced our WBGO wipers to around 22" for each window. Still can see well in the rain as needed. If it's really raining hard it's probably smart to stop anyway. Also using the Rain X product is a must. That stuff really works well.

Another tip. When we are parked I use a short piece of wood on the wiper arm. This lifts the arm up and keeps the blade from setting on the window. That constant spring pressure allows an angle to develop on the wiper. It won't wipe as well. Some have use pool noodles. Yep the blade is off the window but the spring pressure is still pressing the blade against the noodle at an angle and it will still develop a set.

Another tip. Apply some 303 aerospace protectorate to a rag and wipe the blades as often as you think about it. That will protect the rubber wipers from UV and normal destructive rain chemicals. A decent set of blades can cost $50 or more. Take a little time to keep them in good condition. JMO!!

TeJay
Old 03-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #142
Winnie-Wise

I have owned six (6) motorhomes in my lifetime, four of them have been Winnebago products. After owning two other brands, a Gulfstream and a Fleetwood, I was never so happy to be back in an Itasca by Winnebago. Don't think I'll ever venture off course again...!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #143
Winnebago Owner

We are three months into our first trip in our Vista 30T and we are pleased. Our second winni-the first was an 04 sightseer and have been pleased with both. No major problems just the small hiccups that one would expect even in a stick house.

Have contacted winni via email and have had great response. This forum has also been a great help. Wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #144
Winnebago Owner

Post 141 above I commented on the wiper systems of RV's. We just finished a 220 miles 4 hour and 30 minute drive that was the drive from hell. It started raining about 10 miles from home and never stopped. For an hour it rained as hard as I have ever driven in before and the rest of the trip was marginally better. It was bad.

I would have stopped but it was day light and I could see. We had reservations at a CG. While the traffic was at times bad most of the time it was slow enough to maintain good control and nobody did anything stupid.

I knew it was going to rain. The forecast said so and I did the Rain X. Boy was I glad. The wipers were good. They were going full bore for most of the trip. The passenger one needs to be smaller. She does not need to see as much as I do so it's getting replaced with one the same size as the drivers. There does now seem to be a lag in the two wipers I'll check it out later this week. By lag I mean that when the wipers return the passenger side moves first then the driver side catches up. There's something getting loose.

We will be here until Friday and I'm sure the rain will be gone.

TeJay
Old 03-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #145
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Post 141 above I commented on the wiper systems of RV's. We just finished a 220 miles 4 hour and 30 minute drive that was the drive from hell. It started raining about 10 miles from home and never stopped. For an hour it rained as hard as I have ever driven in before and the rest of the trip was marginally better. It was bad.

I would have stopped but it was day light and I could see. We had reservations at a CG. While the traffic was at times bad most of the time it was slow enough to maintain good control and nobody did anything stupid.

I knew it was going to rain. The forecast said so and I did the Rain X. Boy was I glad. The wipers were good. They were going full bore for most of the trip. The passenger one needs to be smaller. She does not need to see as much as I do so it's getting replaced with one the same size as the drivers. There does now seem to be a lag in the two wipers I'll check it out later this week. By lag I mean that when the wipers return the passenger side moves first then the driver side catches up. There's something getting loose.

We will be here until Friday and I'm sure the rain will be gone.

TeJay
After this last 485 mile trip in rain and snow I can't say enough good about my Meridian. My DW, from the deep south, did much white knuckling during the drive on I-5 past Mt Shasta. We were in heavy, stick to the road, slush in a heavy snow fall. The wipers worked well and even when the occasional hot-dogging trucker passed is with a blinding back spray, the wipers recovered quickly. The overall handling under these very adverse conditions was great, to be honest. The TruCenter really made a big difference in the cross wind we encountered. The Freightliner end of this rig is great.

When we were at our last location I adapted 2 30A outlets to make a fake 50A service. The coach power system were happy. We only tripped one breaker once with a overload. Simple learning curve experience.

Yes. I am a happy Winnebago product owner.

Happy trails,

Rick Y