Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #61
Winnie-Wise

I'm not too concerned about being slow up the hills (I'm not in that big a hurry ), but I just want to be sure of having adequate towing and cargo carrying capacity. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #62
Winnie-Wise

Satisfied Itasca/Winnebago owners

You might want to rethink, it's ok to go slow uphill.
That will grow very old by your second hill.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #63
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Since we were taking the granddaughter and her friend to World's of Fun there in Kansas City we stayed at the RV Village right there at the WOF. Very nice RV park with very long concrete sites and concrete patios and all of the amenities. Very neat and clean park and well maintained.

We got the discount package that included WOF tickets, RV site and free parking pass with a further discount on the RV site for Good Sam members.

https://www.worldsoffun.com/places-to-stay/rv-sites
That's a nice place and just up the road from our house. We've not stayed there because it is so close but I've heard good things. Glad you liked it.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 PM   #64
Winnebago Camper

Two so far

On our second Winnebago. 1st was our 1986 Superchief. Only owned it for 2 seasons then upgraded to our current 03 Adventurer. Very happy so far and would buy another without hesitation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	65845  

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #65
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
You might want to rethink, it's ok to go slow uphill.
That will grow very old by your second hill.
Living in Idaho, and towing a tent trailer with a four-cylinder Subaru as well as a 13,000 pound fifth-wheel with my truck, I'm used to going slower up the hills than the rest of the traffic around me. I also drove a U-Haul truck over some hills in Wyoming at 15mph. That was a bit slow for me, but I don't mind going 40 or 45. That's what I meant by slow.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #66
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Good luck on making a choice, that's probably the funnest part of the whole process!
It will be once I know we are seriously looking and not just browsing, as it were. I'm hoping as we get closer that my wife will be able to "read between the lines" and see what might be possible with any particular coach we consider and not get locked in on the things she doesn't like, especially if they are things that can be changed.

Quote:
PS- Here's an interesting 2008 Newmar Grand Star FRED that I ran across. Has a very nice sized built in desk and the TV on the wall above the desk. Sofa is opposite the desk. Nice setup for fulltiming. The Dealer's website has a lot more pictures . (The reference that they make to Thor is in error.)
2008 Thor Motor Coach Newmar Grandstar, Pensacola FL - 112363700 - RVTrader.com
I do like the desk with the TV on the wall. I wish there was a chair or something in that area instead of just the couch, but it does still present possibilities. Thanks for the link.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #67
Winnebago Camper

Had a 2006 Winn Aspect 26A that we bought used and enjoyed with trouble free travels. Last Sept. we traded it for a new 2013 Vista 27n. Have had just a few little fixes and we are impressed with the fit/ finish, handling and floor plan. No complaints here.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #68
Winnebago Camper

We just signed the paperwork yesterday to purchase an 06 winnebago sightseer 29r. Our first was a class C which we loved. Have been out of the rv'ing scene since 06 due to illness and so happy to be getting back. We are thrilled to be getting back and look forward to the fun adventures again. Hoping to take delivery in a couple of days and then off for the first trip. We just happen to have a full week with nothing booked! Will get extended warranty for peace of mine and Murphy's Law... but feel in my bones this will be great. We even came up with a name for our new to us rig. Dessert Drifters.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 AM   #69
Winnebago Owner

We have only owned 2 MHs, both Winnebago. Started with a new '04 Minnie 31' class C. Perfect for the weekends and month vacation each year. Looking at retirement and lots more time we traded up to a used '04 Vectra.

The biggest problem we had with the Minnie when it as purchased was one drawer that wouldn't latch. Not a bad track record! A few minor things after that, none could I blame Winnebago for.

The Vectra has had some issues but it is 10 now and like anything else, stuff wears out. Problems with the fridge. Well Norcold made that not Winnebago. Awning, A&E not Winnebago, toilet-Thetford, jacks-HWH, a/c-Coleman. My point is that some things that fail were installed by Winnebago in the coach but they did not make them. Most of those things that are problems do that same thing on coaches made by other companies.

I will say that the few times I have called Winnebago they have been very nice and as helpful as possible.

Would we buy another Winnebago? Yes.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #70
Winnebago Camper

Really nice to read this thread after mostly reading about problems and repairs. Just saying its hard to know what percentage of owners have trouble with a particular brand or model when shopping for a new rv. As annoying as problems and repairs can be sometimes, my wife and I still feel an rv is the only way we want to travel. We drive 55 at most and I do let her pull slow up steep hills. For us, its about the view and actually seeing it.

2014 Itasca 32H (last rv we hope)
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #71
Winnebago Camper

Really, if you have not figured it out by now, these things have issues. And way to many!! If you get a chance go to a car manufacture like say Honda or Toyota and see the few things they deal with. Yes there are some but not anything like this forum on Winnebago. If Winnebago thinks that all of these issues are just OK then shame on them. We love our rig when it runs right and all of the special items we paid hundreds of thousand dollars for work correctly but there are just to many quality control problems with this company. Just check out the hundred and hundreds of blogs. Sorry to disappoint you on your question. Love it when it is right hate it when it is not. To many things wrong.
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #72
Winnebago Owner

I've been hesitant to reply to this post, only because I don't want to jinx myself or the coach. After dealing with a few problematic things and finally getting a handle on them, DW and me are happy with our choice. I scan the other owner's forums to read about their issues. All manufacturers seem to have their quality control short-comings, and that's a shame. If we had to do it all over again, I believe we'd still choose a Winnebago/Itasca product (based on our financial situation).
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #73
Winnie-Wise

Yes, I am satisfied, 4 years with my Journey 39n, and previously 4 years with my 2003 32' Itasca Horizon.

I have had my share of problems, but being reasonable with Winnebago and my dealer got all fixed. Other things I have fixed myself, either by reading, talking with other, getting advice from these forums, or just using common sense.

Yes there are lemons out there. I feel bad for the folks that get one.

But after 4 years on the road, I just think (my opinion) that Winnebago makes a better engineered RV compared to competitively priced RV's from other manufacturer's. And even though there are, and will continue to be problems with your RV, it is the life (or recreation) we have chosen, and Winnebago is as good or better than any other brand you might have chosen.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #74
Winnebago Camper

I guess some people can't read. This thread is about satisfied Owners.
I'm satisfied with my 2014 Adventurer 37F. My second Winnebago.
First was 2011 Vista 35f
[ moderator edit ]
bz_ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #75
Winnie-Wise

We are on our 4th Winnebago and recommend them highly. With anything else you may have a few problems but overall they build a fine motorhome and their techs are always willing to help you out if you have a problem.

I like the fact that you can get all the wiring, plumbing, etc. diagrams from them either in the mail or email and that they make all their own parts except for appliances.

I'm a believer in Winnebago and their RV's and they know what they are doing as they have been doing it through thick and thin for a long time.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #76
Winnebago Owner

I did not read all of this thread but so far this aspect of WBGO has not been mentioned. Just today we took our 2014 WBGO Vista in for some final warranty work. I know the GM at our local Camping World that services WBGO products. He was explaining to me just how how complex things are when trying to timely service RV's. Their biggest problem is getting the correct part. Sometimes it takes weeks and weeks because many items are not standard. They change suppliers to keep the costs down. A part may come in but it's not exactly the same because colors have changed from the supplier and on and on and on.

Winnebago is the only manufacturer that puts a part number on a sticker on parts that are specifically made by WBGO for their coaches. They keep records and the ability to re-manufacturing that exact part for any and all future repairs.

Nobody else in the RV industry can match that ability. Years down the road if you need a new cabinet door they can make it. If you need a window they can make it. If you need a new fresh water tank they can make it etc, etc.

Specific things like water pumps, furnaces, fridges, etc, made by other manufacturers may change or be upgraded as years go by but since they are RV specific the sizes won't change and you'll always be able to get replacements.

We visited the factory and took the tour. It is well worth the time and trip. They do a good job but they are made by people and people make mistakes. We've had few issues and all have been corrected. We'd go with WBGO again in a heart beat. They are great coaches for the $$$$$.

TeJay
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #77
Winnie-Wise

Love my 2004 Itasca Meridian with 101,000 miles on it. We have had very few problems and none serious.
Winny tech services are great. They stand behind their product and have all the build diagrams on line if needed .
I chose Winnebago because I knew they would be around longer than most.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #78
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Hey, man... that motorhome was made to travel! Come on up. It's a nice easy trip to Forest City and lots of things to see and do on the way up and back. Plus it's a lot cooler up here. And we have nice roads. The people are polite, helpful and friendly.

Had a lot of southern RV's pass me going north on my way back. Especially Texas and Florida plates but many others from New Mexico and Arizona.

The people at the Winnebago factory treat you like royalty and offer a very nice plant tour. You can hook up to their electric and sit around at night and hob knob with other Winnebago owners.

"Is this heaven?" "No, it's Iowa!"
Just picked up our MH in Forest City. Country and people are great. We were there during corn season. Had to be pried out.

Punch list had 5 things. Two the dealer had found before we got there. 3 we found were minor. Would have done it myself if we were not there. Dealer fixed the problems quickly and cheerfully.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #79
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Just picked up our MH in Forest City. Country and people are great. We were there during corn season. Had to be pried out.

Punch list had 5 things. Two the dealer had found before we got there. 3 we found were minor. Would have done it myself if we were not there. Dealer fixed the problems quickly and cheerfully.
Ah, sweet corn season in Iowa-great eating! Muscatine melons should be getting ripe about now also.

Glad your punch list got taken care of and you're ready for the road!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #80
Winnebago Master

am spot needs to realize that tees aren't Toyotas, Hondas, or any other car that manufacturers 90% of the parts in house or to their specs? Winne, and all others gather all the outside pieces together and assemble them. All they really are responsible for QC wise if the box all this goes in, and the infrastructure to tie it altogether. maybe you need to trade in what you have apples to apples and see how that works out?

My Meridian has had one water pump (CAT), a new valve (HWH), water pump (Surflo), trashed the original sat dish (Winegard), and $10k+ in upgrades of my choice. There are very few $225k cars that can claim so little service in 8 years.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote