Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

I've had a Winnebago / Itasca product for 16 years. A Brave, Adventurer, Sunova and Journey. The Sunova and Journey were bought new. I have not had any major problems, but all of the small routine issues were taken care fast and professionally by the dealership. I've only called Winnebago once and they were extremely courteous and helpful.

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #42
Winnebago Camper

We are going on 3rd season with our 2004 Vectra, Love Love Love our Motorhome!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

I don't like the Lippert slide mechanism on the galley slide. It's been a PITA----replaced twice. both times out of warranty and Winnibago stood behind it! The rest of the RV is utterly fantastic!!!! Wouldn't even think of buying another brand.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Also frustrated with the Lippert slide system but Winnebago dealt with the problem well. Full timing in our 2013 42e Journey for 9 months now and we love our rig!
Brent
RvWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #45
Winnebago Camper

Had Winnies for 7 years/ minor issues all covered- we are Happy. Would do it again.
13 Adventurer 37F
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Would we ever buy a Winnebago again? HECK NO , it's been the worst brand new vehicle purchases we have ever made. It's the biggest vehicle purchase we ever made, the absolute worst quality I've ever seen . I wish we could remove the name off the side so people stop asking how we like are Winnebago. It's a 20 footer, it looks good from 20 feet. Just don't use to many of the systems if you don't want them to break. Slide going on fix number 3 since Being purchased in December. Only had it 7 days and it had to go in the shop for over a month , got it back and things broke again or not correctly fixed. Now back in the shop going on week 2 and won't be done for 2 more weeks . They still can't replicate the problems we are having with the heat and A/C.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NewRVers View Post
Would we ever buy a Winnebago again? HECK NO , it's been the worst brand new vehicle purchases we have ever made. It's the biggest vehicle purchase we ever made, the absolute worst quality I've ever seen . I wish we could remove the name off the side so people stop asking how we like are Winnebago. It's a 20 footer, it looks good from 20 feet. Just don't use to many of the systems if you don't want them to break. Slide going on fix number 3 since Being purchased in December. Only had it 7 days and it had to go in the shop for over a month , got it back and things broke again or not correctly fixed. Now back in the shop going on week 2 and won't be done for 2 more weeks . They still can't replicate the problems we are having with the heat and A/C.

What model do you have?

That sucks, sorry to hear. Have you tried taking it to the factory? I've not had to do that before but I have heard from others that if you have a bunch of problems, it pays dividends in time to take the unit back to Forest City and have them fix everything. Good luck.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 AM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
What model do you have? That sucks, sorry to hear. Have you tried taking it to the factory? I've not had to do that before but I have heard from others that if you have a bunch of problems, it pays dividends in time to take the unit back to Forest City and have them fix everything. Good luck.
Hi, we have a 2013 Journey 42E. Taking it to Forest City is not an option as we work full time. We are going to sell it when we get it back. Thanks
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Only in our second season with our 2004 Itasca Spirit, but love it so far. Have had only one issue with it: a flat tire cause by a busted valve stem -- seems the dealer replaced the 10-year old tires, but *not* the valve stems. But the coach itself was well-cared-for by previous owners -- just 19,000 miles on it -- and it looked brand new. So, yeah ... Really satisfied to this point.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago quality

We have a 2013 Meridian34B. There have been several problems with it including the Schwintek drivers side slide. We took ours to the factory in December and were were impressed with their responsiveness and the repairs. They were a great group to deal with. I've spent considerable time reading the manuals and have concluded that the WB engineers have done a very good job of designing the thing. Some minor quibbles, like the drivers rear view mirror positioning for tall people, but overall we are quite pleased with our unit and WB's factory assistance and warranty repair. While there I could overhear the Tech's describing the issues with various customers and I was immersed with their discussions.

Our daughter bought a Thor 37 foot MH last year and has a huge list of problems that requires her to take the unit back to the factory to fix everything.

The Tiffin website has lots of complaints about their quality also, so it looks like the Mfr's all need a bit of Japanese competition ( I didn't really say that did I?, slap my mouth) to get them to pay more attention to detail.

While we were at the WB factory last month, getting something added to our unit, we sat with a Canadian couple with a 2012 42 foot WB that had roof delimitation and about 5 other nasty problems. They were not happy campers as one could expect. Some of the problems related to equipment such as microwaves. Items that all mfr.'s use.

Previously we had a Keystone Montana 5th wheel and we had a number of quality issues with that unit also including 5 different 120volt neutral wires that were not properly installed.

I would buy another WB if we ever wanted to get anther unit.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #51
Winnebago Camper

previous post

spellcheck did it again..IMPRESSED NOT IMMERSED in one of my sentences
Old 04-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #52

Well, hope we become a happy camper. Just got back from a 7 day trip and all was fine. We had 5 or 6 problems when new - including the big one of front cap leak in the rain. Most of it did not appear to be sealed at all - dealer hopefully has fixed that issue. They fixed several other issues before we left the dealer.

We are now down to concerns for the roof being so flat that a/c condensation does not run off but puddles rather deep - 1/2 inch or so and I suppose would eventually run off the driver front side - which appears to be the place the water always pools even when the MH is level. It is a Minnie Winner 31KP and new 2014.

I wrote a lengthy 'help me' letter to Winnebago and it has now been 6 business days (with their promise to answer or call within 2 business days). I plan to call them to ask about my email (with pictures on the roof pooling) on Monday - hope I get some good answers.

So far, the issues with this new unit:
1. Front cap completely leaking in lots of places and did not appear to have proper seal.
2. Bathroom sink drain not properly connected.
3. Back up camera not working.
4. Rubber seal on slide was in wrong place on one end of the one slide.
5. Water pump strainer was screwed on cocked and leaking.
6. Water pump started leaking after 1 week. (dealer sent me a new one and I put it on myself yesterday and so far so good). I suspect it froze before our purchase but nothing else seems effected so perhaps the water pump just went bad - it was leaking under the front plastic parts (not connections). Dealer was good to send new one and mailing label for return of the old one. Dealer is 200 miles from my home.
7. No sealant around the kitchen sink and water was seeping under the sink - my wife fixed that with sealant around sink.

I think that is everything so far. As I said, I *think* we will be happy campers soon with the "Winnie" and we like the floorplan and the way it drives, etc. Lots to say good about the unit but for the money having the above the first few days did not bring us joy. And I can't help but think water pooling on the roof from rain or a/c condensation is not a good thing. We plan to check the seals regularly and pray for the best. But also hoping Winnebago gives us some answers on the roof question.

I know you were asking for happy WB owners and I posted this because generally we are happy and looking forward to many good years in our 31KP. However, if the Forest City techs don't answer my email that is a disappointment. I really don't want to drive to the factory but if other stuff is found to be a problem (there is only 2000 miles on the MH now) we may opt for a factory trip - but I am in Texas and they are in Iowa.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #53
Winnebago Camper

N5PHT,
Try sending an email to the address shown here:[email protected]

Maybe you have already sent it to the service group email address, but we have had very good success getting responses from Mike Hamson.

CBTraveler, aka W5YSC in the 50's and now KE9UJ
Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTraveler View Post
N5PHT,
Try sending an email to the address shown here:[email protected]

Maybe you have already sent it to the service group email address, but we have had very good success getting responses from Mike Hamson.

CBTraveler, aka W5YSC in the 50's and now KE9UJ
Thanks so much - just sent it a few minutes ago to Mike and hope for a response.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #55
Winnie-Wise

Just got back from a short jaunt to Kansas City. This was the first trip of the year after getting the MH out of winter storage. Everything works fine and made for a pleasant trip. The 5 Star Tune works great on the F53 V10. I would recommend it to everyone who has that chassis. Very happy and pleased Winnebago customer.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #56
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Just got back from a short jaunt to Kansas City. This was the first trip of the year after getting the MH out of winter storage. Everything works fine and made for a pleasant trip. The 5 Star Tune works great on the F53 V10. I would recommend it to everyone who has that chassis. Very happy and pleased Winnebago customer.
Where did you stay in the KC area?
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #57
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfiedler View Post
Where did you stay in the KC area?
Since we were taking the granddaughter and her friend to World's of Fun there in Kansas City we stayed at the RV Village right there at the WOF. Very nice RV park with very long concrete sites and concrete patios and all of the amenities. Very neat and clean park and well maintained.

We got the discount package that included WOF tickets, RV site and free parking pass with a further discount on the RV site for Good Sam members.

https://www.worldsoffun.com/places-to-stay/rv-sites
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6453.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	65800   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6457.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	65801  

Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
.........I really don't want to drive to the factory but if other stuff is found to be a problem (there is only 2000 miles on the MH now) we may opt for a factory trip - but I am in Texas and they are in Iowa.
Hey, man... that motorhome was made to travel! Come on up. It's a nice easy trip to Forest City and lots of things to see and do on the way up and back. Plus it's a lot cooler up here. And we have nice roads. The people are polite, helpful and friendly.

Had a lot of southern RV's pass me going north on my way back. Especially Texas and Florida plates but many others from New Mexico and Arizona.

The people at the Winnebago factory treat you like royalty and offer a very nice plant tour. You can hook up to their electric and sit around at night and hob knob with other Winnebago owners.

"Is this heaven?" "No, it's Iowa!"
Field of Dreams (Dubuque County, Iowa) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Field of Dreams Turns 25: Kevin Costner, Colin Egglesfield Celebrate : People.com

Northbound on I-35 in southern Iowa:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6603.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	65802  
Old 06-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #59
Winnebago Camper

It's good to see all of the love here for Winnebago/Itasca. We do not own one (yet), but Winnebago is on the short list of brands we are considering for our first MH purchase in a couple of years (along with Newmar and Tiffin - a distant third at this point).

This coach would also be our initial coach for full-timing in several years time, and we would be towing a Jeep Wrangler behind that. Given that information and the fact that money is an object, would I better looking at a newer gas model (looking at some 2014 Sightseers this weekend) or an older DP? We could possibly afford new or a 1-2 year old gas model, but the DP would have to be at least five or six years old, maybe older. (I do like some of the shorter Journey models I've seen as we want to stay around 35-feet.)

I'm not too concerned about being slow up the hills (I'm not in that big a hurry ), but I just want to be sure of having adequate towing and cargo carrying capacity. Thanks.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
It's good to see all of the love here for Winnebago/Itasca. We do not own one (yet), but Winnebago is on the short list of brands we are considering for our first MH purchase in a couple of years (along with Newmar and Tiffin - a distant third at this point).

This coach would also be our initial coach for full-timing in several years time, and we would be towing a Jeep Wrangler behind that. Given that information and the fact that money is an object, would I better looking at a newer gas model (looking at some 2014 Sightseers this weekend) or an older DP? We could possibly afford new or a 1-2 year old gas model, but the DP would have to be at least five or six years old, maybe older. (I do like some of the shorter Journey models I've seen as we want to stay around 35-feet.)

I'm not too concerned about being slow up the hills (I'm not in that big a hurry ), but I just want to be sure of having adequate towing and cargo carrying capacity. Thanks.
You're very wise to start looking at different types of motorhomes a couple of years ahead of time. It's good to narrow down your choices also, because the different options out there can be mind boggling.

What may work very well for me might not work for others. A Winnebago product has worked out well for me but others will have different requirements and tastes and will prefer other brands. That's as it should be.

Good luck on making a choice, that's probably the funnest part of the whole process!

PS- Here's an interesting 2008 Newmar Grand Star FRED that I ran across. Has a very nice sized built in desk and the TV on the wall above the desk. Sofa is opposite the desk. Nice setup for fulltiming. The Dealer's website has a lot more pictures . (The reference that they make to Thor is in error.)
2008 Thor Motor Coach Newmar Grandstar, Pensacola FL - 112363700 - RVTrader.com