Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

RVing with a purpose

How many of us know of families who have lost a loved one about 2 years after retirement? I have seen this happen. The common story is that the individual had nothing to do. Work had been their whole life's purpose.

I am pretty certain that if you are reading this you are not suffering with this problem. But, you still might be thinking that you would like to be a bit more productive with your travels.

Some folks do live for the thrill of the adventure. Others get board with all play, or simply feel unproductive with their retirement years. I was one of the latter.

After early retirement in 2002, I found myself board. I worked some at my church with fix-up stuff, got a job at HD for a while, had a handyman service and simply found nothing satisfying to me.

One Sunday morning, in 2005, a friend greeted me with great enthusiasm at church. Jack, being a bit taller than me (I was looking at his tie not), grabbed me by the shoulders and, with enthusiastic shacking of my shoulders, told me of a group called SOWERS. He had camped next to the area representative of this group while on vacation in Maine. He was certain this is what I was looking for to relieve me of my boredom. I was single at the time.

With some searching on line I finally filtered the correct organization out of all the quilting and sewing clubs out there. It is Servants on Wheels Ever Ready. (https://sowerministry.org/)

I contacted them and got my papers processed. They are particular about the volunteers hired into the ministry because they serve many camps and family type centers. They won't let those with child abuse records join. There are a few other restrictions also. At the time they were accepting singles. But, soon after I joined that door was closed. So sad.

Since I joined I have married. My wife and I are having a truly purposeful life on the road serving others who serve others at camps, orphanages, conference centers, churches, rescue missions, training centers, etc all across the US and Canada, and even Alaska. These Christian ministries are changing lives for the better, one person at a time.

Our purpose is to provide 72 hours a month of labor to the location we choose to work that is listed in our work available directory. The SOWER Ministry has been around for over 35 years, providing thousands of hours of free labor to places like Mercy Ships headquarters in Lindale, TX, Palomar Christian Conference Center in Palomar Mt, CA, YWAM/Discovery Bay, Port Hadlock, WA and many others. We have around 170 projects to serve.

The projects agree to provide RV parking. Most have full hookups but some are a bit more primitive. A few provide housing.

Our work week is broken up into 2 hour segments, totaling 6 hours a day for three weeks. The long weekends give us the opportunity to visit local attractions and to have some down time. The 4th week is provided for us as a week of rest and we can stay till Friday morning with no charge.

I tell the ministries we work for that they are responsible for the non-delinquency of senior citizens. Besides, this is the best job I have ever paid to do! We are pure volunteers, responsible for your own equipment, fuel, meals, etc. So, if your not volunteering what changes? You simply live a life with a purpose other than self. What can we loose? Boredom? Wow! What a way to go RVing!!!

Find a good way to volunteer your time. There are many opportunities available to RVers. The rewards are beyond imagination.

Happy trails ya'll.
Rick
SOWER #2784
Old 10-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

This sounds awesome! Thank you for introducing us to this idea and the organization!
19Winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Winnie View Post
This sounds awesome! Thank you for introducing us to this idea and the organization!
Your welcome. Hope to see you on the road.
Rick
Old 10-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Wow! Great to know. Thanks for sharing.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote