Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

REMCO

I have a little black box that is mounted on the dash and I don't know what it is. IT HAS A ON OFF SWITCH and little round holes on the top. It is made by REMCO In Omaha Nebraska.
Any ideas ?????
Thanks
Bill O'Mara
Omara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

call REMCO

Why don't you call REMCO and just ask them?
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good idea, I looked on line but couldn't find it . I will call tomorrow
Thank you
Bill
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Try Googling them at Remco Towing...I didn't find it under Remco...only HotWheels, etc.
No doubt it's a Remco Towing Lube Pump Kit installation o the car...

Mike
Mikeflyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omara View Post
I have a little black box that is mounted on the dash and I don't know what it is. IT HAS A ON OFF SWITCH and little round holes on the top. It is made by REMCO In Omaha Nebraska.
Any ideas ?????
Thanks
Bill O'Mara
Sir,
Does it have one "Red" and one "Green" light on it too? If so, it is a Remco control box for the Lube pump on a toad that is "non-towable" vehicle. That is, a pump is installed in a vehicle that the manufacturer states: is not flat towable. So, Remco or, your local RV dealer/service center that is, will install a "lube pump" that keeps transmission fluid circulating throughout the transmission while you're towing it down the road.
That switch box, has a red and green light on it to keep you informed of status of that pump. Should that red light come on while towing, you're to pull over immediately (as soon as it is safe) and investigate the problem because, that's an indication that the pump has quit.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Home | Remco Towing
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi all, thanks for the help. Scott you described it to a T . I don't plan on towing but I guess it won't hurt anything by leaving it installed. I will leave the switch in the off position and forget about.
Thanks again
Bill
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omara View Post
Hi all, thanks for the help. Scott you described it to a T . I don't plan on towing but I guess it won't hurt anything by leaving it installed. I will leave the switch in the off position and forget about.
Thanks again
Bill
Bill,
You're certainly welcome. By the way, since you have the switch box setup on your dash, do you by any chance have an alternate trailer plug on the rear of your coach? You see, when we purchased our 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT about 10 months ago, it too came with a Remco switch box under the dash. Well, it also had two, 7 pin trailer plugs on the rear of the coach. One was the factory one, on the left side as you're looking at the rear of the coach and one was on the right side.

Apparently the folks at either Remco, or the installers for Remco, need and alternate plug for their system and, if they're in there doing that setup, they might as well set up brake lights, turn signals etc. all on that plug. So, I ended up with two plugs on the back of the coach. That, worked out great for me because it ended up I needed two because I installed a motorcycle lift on the back of the coach and the bike is large enough that it partially obscures the tail lights of the coach. So, an alternate set of tail lights on the outer edges of the lift platform are installed and, I use the Remco plug for those lights.

I then get to use the factory plug for my Honda CRV toad behind that lift. So, it works for me. Glad you now know what it's for. And no, it won't hurt a thing to leave it in place.
Scott
Old 03-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

That switch box (there's one in our coach) is a waste of time and lots of $$$$ when the pump fails and you ruin a tranny. Ask me how I know. Now I pull a flat towable 4x4 p/u
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
That switch box (there's one in our coach) is a waste of time and lots of $$$$ when the pump fails and you ruin a tranny. Ask me how I know. Now I pull a flat towable 4x4 p/u
Well Sir,
Sorry to hear of your issues with that system. We had the switch box in our coach when we first purchased it and, we were thinking of towing our 2WD Grand Cherokee Overland as a toad which, would have required the installation of the Remco pump. Since we had the wiring, switch box and plug already installed, all I needed was the pump. I have no idea how many of those pumps have been installed over the years and, how many have failed. Not a clue.

Then, I got to thinking (which is rare), if, for any reason that pump fails at any time, we've ruined a very fine car. So, was it worth the gamble of $800.00 for a pump and I do the install, which is not that big a deal, or, do we simply sell the Grand and purchase an industry standard, flat towable, vehicle of some sort for say, $30K +or-. Lets see, $800.00 and be possibly stranded in the middle of the moon or, $30K and not worry at all? Well, the hunt was on. Long story short, we ended up with the 2011 Honda CRV EX-L, 4WD w/Nav. All better now.
Scott
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Other people wonder why I recommend the Drive Shaft disconnect or Axle Lock instead of the lube pump... Somehow I don't think you wonder about that.

I know the technology in the axle lock (I'm kind of guessing at the disconnect) and well... I don't think I'll live long enough to see one fail.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Other people wonder why I recommend the Drive Shaft disconnect or Axle Lock instead of the lube pump... Somehow I don't think you wonder about that.

I know the technology in the axle lock (I'm kind of guessing at the disconnect) and well... I don't think I'll live long enough to see one fail.
Wa8,
Well Sir, we might be still driving our Grand Cherokee Overland if, a Remco drive shaft disconnect could have been made for it. You see, the drive shaft in that SUV is, 6" in diameter and, is completely aluminum. I called every place imaginable that had anything to do with Remco products and NO ONE would touch that DS. I was sad. The wife and I really liked that car, top of the line etc. but, NOT TOWABLE! So, in steps the new CRV.
Scott
Old 03-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

We have a Camry that we towed about 7 years and 50,00 miles using a Remco lube pump. We were pleased and impressed with the Remco lube pump and would not hesitate going that route again should it become an option.
wd4kaq is offline   Reply With Quote