Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

OMG! Husband just buried the Outlook in sand!

He took the new Outlook down the street to park it back in our friend's horse pasture and buried it in the soft sand! It's almost up to the body of the coach in the back. We have to get it towed out tomorrow! How mad should I be at him? Damage? Needless to say, it's not going to be stored in the horse pasture ANY more!
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You shouldn't be mad at all, it could have been you . (driving I mean, not buried in sand) look at it as a learning experience, happened to me with our first rig except it was mud and I ruined the reverse gear trying to save the tow fee! Had to get tranny rebuilt and pay for tow. DW stills talks about that and it happened in 1988. She doesn't seem to remember hitting our boat about 10 times when it was stored in the driveway.
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Cat
Winnebago Camper

You should only get mad if you never mess up. I'm sure he's not happy either. Just make the tow guys go slow and think about what they are doing before they yank it out.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

As the others have said, don't be mad at him. He is already beating himself up, and doesn't need any help in that.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The day will come when you do something equally bad in the new rig. So if you're nice this time around you can always have that in your back pocket..."remember the horse pasture honey"....much better that way
Old 03-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If this is the worst thing that ahppens.. BE HAPPY.

Oh, and check with your insurance.... .They may pay for the winch out.

Just hope the dispatcher sends a big enough truck..... Did not when I stuck my intruder.. Thankfully there was a strong mind on hand to help the not so strong truck, we got the job done.. Only had to rewrite the tow manual a little bit.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I doesn't always happen to the other guy. Remember sand and RV's do not mix well, then forget about the incident.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Got the Minnie we had stuck right in front of the house. Should have known the lawn was still too wet and soft. DW was OK with it. We called AAA to winch it out and no damage. There is a concrete pad there now.

I would give him some slack. He is prolly about as happy about it as you are.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

They got to be real careful how it's pulled out if it's buried deep front and rear. I've been going to the sand dunes for decades and have seen some folks stuck bad. Inexperienced "volunteers" can pull off bumpers or rip the fiberglass apart. Using the hitch and pulling it straight out backwards works well .......but don't pull at an angle since it can really tweak the the back end.

You probably don't have leveler jacks on an Outlook, but if you did they work well to raise the rig up so you can get boards under the tires and then it's much easier to get pulled out.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

OK, am I the only one that wants photographic evidence?

Hey, we've all messed up. Sometimes its nothing more than embarrasing foder for future campfire ribbing, other times it can get expensive. Anybody that tells you they've never messed up is, well, not trustworthy.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire5 View Post
He took the new Outlook down the street to park it back in our friend's horse pasture and buried it in the soft sand! It's almost up to the body of the coach in the back. We have to get it towed out tomorrow! How mad should I be at him? Damage? Needless to say, it's not going to be stored in the horse pasture ANY more!
Can't believe you want to add insult to injury by posting your problem here!
beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Just breathe in breathe out move on. This is the man you love, give him credit he wasnt doing it on purpose, mistakes happen, it how you flow with it that counts Good luck and give that guy a hug he needs it now
ShabbyChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If your going to get mad just do it and get it over with. Don't spend the rest of your life and his beating him up over and over.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Divorce......then it's all yours to park next time. Not really...only half yours! Ha Ha
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
I helped | retired moderator

There are only two kinds of RVers;

Those of us who have made mistakes and.......

Those who won't admit they have.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I stuck mine in a wash at Quartzsite jan 2010. Couldn't drive it out. Didn't worry about it. Check level, and the it was the levelest it has ever been. Put the slide out and went to bed. Called tow truck in AM took them a bout 5 minutes to pull me out no damage. He also informed me that this isn't a 4 wheel drive vehicle. My response was I know, it has 6 wheels.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have RV'd for 22 years and flown small planes for 46 years. I learned a long time ago not to smirk, laugh, or belittle others for what seem like really dumb mistakes. What is the saying..."there, but for the grace of God , go I....." Or something like that!
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
I He also informed me that this isn't a 4 wheel drive vehicle. My response was I know, it has 6 wheels.

jack

One of the shows I went to a farmer had his tractor ready. He would pull the motorhomes out for 300 a pop. Everyone paid him as it would be hours before the tow truck got there and much much more money for the tow truck. it was scary though as some were flooring it to make it over the mud to the road and there was a dip there. Some of the coaches were really tilting .. I could almost hear the dishes crashing...........

I always let them park me and then move if rail is expected and they put me in a bad spot.
We were all on a hill once and the day people kept driving past the motorhomes with four wheel drive ( they were day hops also and not supposed to be in the motorhome parking area) and spinning the wheels. Getting a four wheel vehicle means nothing if you can't operate it properly and spinning tires and tearing up the grass to mud is a definite no no. Made it harder for us to get out.
20K to 50K lb trucks sink fast in mud or sand
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiper View Post
I have RV'd for 22 years and flown small planes for 46 years. I learned a long time ago not to smirk, laugh, or belittle others for what seem like really dumb mistakes. What is the saying..."there, but for the grace of God , go I....." Or something like that!

I would have thought that you would have to be an incredible idiot to slam a car door on your own finger and break it, until............................
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic View Post
Just breathe in breathe out move on. This is the man you love, give him credit he wasnt doing it on purpose, mistakes happen, it how you flow with it that counts Good luck and give that guy a hug he needs it now
If he looks anything like this, it may be time to move on.
Attached Images