Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New to Us!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2388.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	114625Just purchased 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U. Decided we did not want a coach with the newer trouble some slides. The only slide failure has been the "plastic " rollers on the power gear slides. Have replaced rollers on both large slides as plastic rollers broke. Had custom aluminum rollers made and they work wonderfully.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sweat
Old 12-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, that looks really nice! Congrats!!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We also have a 2011 40U -- Winnebago Journey version. Two of our plastic rollers on biggest slide were replaced under warranty. Actually not something we noticed an issue with ourselves, but found by service techs who noticed floor scratches. Where did you get the custom rollers made? We love this coach -- and would be interested in comparing notes on other things we've both addressed to "improve" it :-)
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Love the paint design! Look like it has been kept inside and taken good care of. Enjoy and congratulations!
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

as in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWEAK View Post
Sweat
As in, "blood, sweat and tears?"
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
As in, "blood, sweat and tears?"
No as in fat finger on the keyboard. oops!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Great looking coach. Enjoy
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Attachment 114625Just purchased 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U. Decided we did not want a coach with the newer trouble some slides. The only slide failure has been the "plastic " rollers on the power gear slides. Have replaced rollers on both large slides as plastic rollers broke. Had custom aluminum rollers made and they work wonderfully.
We love ours.

Spray your racks with CRC Power Lube with PTFE (CRC Power Lube Industrial High Performance Lubricant with PTFE, 16 oz. (Net weight: 11 oz) Aerosol Can, Light Amber/White: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific). It it moves this is a good lube for it.

Watch your passengers slide cabinets over the couch. Mine dropped down and I had to do some fancy fixing. The screws go into 1/16" aluminum!

In the spring make an appointment with the Freightliner factory in Gaffney, SC. Have the chassis inspection/adjustment done. It is well worth the time and money.

I am changing out my tires. I have changed the front for Continental. Not my first choice but better than the Michelin that were on. The coach requires 110 psi. The OEM tires are rated at 110 psi. I was not comfortable with this for many reasons. I will put Toyo on the rear when I change them out.

I am very happy with the add-on tow and break packages. And our new 2014 CR-V was just plain good timing. Setup is easy and it tows well.

Overloading the coach is easy to do because you have so much storage room. Be aware of this. We full-time so it may be more of an issue than for you.

One of the many great features with this coach is the electrical system. When on 30A (many of the camps we volunteer at have only 30A) the inverter will supplement power under certain conditions. The generator auto start is a great feature and the AGM batteries are really work horses.

DW loves the residential fridge and the pantry. The original stove is not the best. I replaced it with a Atwood. That was not easy to do and the build of the new stove is chintzy. The good of it is the lighting and burner controls work well.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me. If I can help I will.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 12-22-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the tips

We had the chassis and alignments checked at Josam in Orlando, Fl. They are the best in the country for large vehicle frames and chassis. All checked out perfect. Funny you mention lube on the slide rollers. They all had just been lubed. It was the drivers side that broke first. I heard it drop and I stopped the slide movement. Further use of the slide without the rollers could cause the Gear/roller shaft to fail. Not being able to find the new plastic rollers, I immediately contacted a local machine shop and had new rollers machined from aluminum. Now all rolls very smoothly. I had 6 new Toyo 275 75 R 22.5 tires installed November 3rd. No problems with cabinets. Batteries are 6 years old and do not hold a charge under load as they did when new. I will replace with USA AGM 31 batteries, rather than the NAPA 9831 DT batteries that are currently installed. The dash HVAC system failed, in as much as the air would only come out of the defrosters. That repair took some trouble shooting and required removing the top of the dash. After determining the vacuum pump was OK, and all the vacuum motors were working, I checked the selector vacuum control. Two of the port connectors were broken. Purchased a new switch and installed it. Now all is working fine. So this is how I spent most of November and December
Regards
L. Waters
Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We had the chassis and alignments checked at Josam in Orlando, Fl. They are the best in the country for large vehicle frames and chassis. All checked out perfect. Funny you mention lube on the slide rollers. They all had just been lubed. It was the drivers side that broke first. I heard it drop and I stopped the slide movement. Further use of the slide without the rollers could cause the Gear/roller shaft to fail. Not being able to find the new plastic rollers, I immediately contacted a local machine shop and had new rollers machined from aluminum. Now all rolls very smoothly. I had 6 new Toyo 275 75 R 22.5 tires installed November 3rd. No problems with cabinets. Batteries are 6 years old and do not hold a charge under load as they did when new. I will replace with USA AGM 31 batteries, rather than the NAPA 9831 DT batteries that are currently installed. The dash HVAC system failed, in as much as the air would only come out of the defrosters. That repair took some trouble shooting and required removing the top of the dash. After determining the vacuum pump was OK, and all the vacuum motors were working, I checked the selector vacuum control. Two of the port connectors were broken. Purchased a new switch and installed it. Now all is working fine. So this is how I spent most of November and December
Regards
L. Waters
Glad to see that you have a good grip on the RV Gremlins.

Did you know that the NAPA AGM is a Optima battery?

As you know, setting the invert correctly is important. I have been running mine at 800 AH and AGM2. The charge rate is now set low because we are on 30A shore power. When on 50A service I charge at 100%. (The camp has asked me to assist with upgrading these sites to 50A next month. )

How difficult was it to replace the rollers? My glasses get in the way if I don't know what I am looking for. Very frustrating. What equipment did you use to get the weight off the rollers?

I must say that the heater control used in this coach is not the greatest. What ever would have caused the connectors to break?

At the moment weather is a factor. We are in the San Diego area and refreshing rains are here at the moment. The mud is a bit slick next to the coach. To get involved in roller replacement is not to take place for several days to come. But the area is very grateful for the rain. This camp has been removing dead trees for the last month. So sad.

Back to the coach. My DW put a memory foam pad on the bed. I am vertically challenged so I had to build a platform step to assist me. This is next to the DC breaker box. Good storage for shoes.

If you are in cold, need gas heat, weather for a time watch for humidity along the roof/wall joints and the vent fans. This became a problem our first winter. This year I am hand cranking the vents open a bit to allow the moisture to escape. Working well so far.

Did your ride change with the new tires? Are they 120psi rated? (M154?)

I am not certain what your truck shop did. Freightliner put a wrench to all the frame bolts, changed the air drier canister, adjusted the ride height, weighed the coach.... More stuff than I can recall now.

I have a strange problem at the moment. I can't start the coach from the warm up key position. It just won't turn over. I have to move the key all the way back to ACC and then to start. Works every time. Any thoughts?

I think I have shared enough info for now. Look forward to all of your upgrades and observations.

Rick Y
Old 12-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

update

The NAPA batteries are DEKA made by EastPenn battery Co.
If you look in the opening from the outside, you will see 1 roller on each edge of the ram. A small hydraulic jack and a length of 2"x4" at the end of the ram, will lift the slide about 1 1/4 inches if roller is missing and only 1/4" if roller is still in place. A pair of vice grips and a 9/16" box end wrench will loosen and remove the shoulder bolts that the rollers ride on. When reinstalling use a 3/8" lock washer before the nut goes on. Tighten securely.

Only use 110psi in tires and ride is great. If more than 110 when you travel out west, the altitude incresses the pressure to high.

Josam did everything except weigh the coach as I had done that previously.

regards
Lloyd
Old 12-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The NAPA batteries are DEKA made by EastPenn battery Co.
If you look in the opening from the outside, you will see 1 roller on each edge of the ram. A small hydraulic jack and a length of 2"x4" at the end of the ram, will lift the slide about 1 1/4 inches if roller is missing and only 1/4" if roller is still in place. A pair of vice grips and a 9/16" box end wrench will loosen and remove the shoulder bolts that the rollers ride on. When reinstalling use a 3/8" lock washer before the nut goes on. Tighten securely.

Only use 110psi in tires and ride is great. If more than 110 when you travel out west, the altitude incresses the pressure to high.

Josam did everything except weigh the coach as I had done that previously.

regards Lloyd
Thanks Lloyd. I'll take a peak today while the sun is shinning.

I think you are correct about the NAPA wet cell batteries but the AGM's are Optma that are in this coach. Things may be different today. New year, new contract.

I asked if you got the M154 Toyo. That is the one I am looking at.

Here is an interesting happening to me with tire pressure changing. We were at a fairly high altitude and in cool weather... 45*. I set the cold pressure as is recommended by all the tire manufactures and safety experts. As the travel day progressed, my tire pressure rose to 136psi as the ambient temperature rose to about 70*, triggering my TPSM. There was no tire trouble except high pressure caused by normal driving events. At the next rest area I released 5 psi from each tire. This is definitely considered a NO, NO. The results was no alarms and no other change of significance to the psi and the temperatures stayed satisfactory.

With the above happening to me it simply confirms my desire to replace the rest of the tires.

If you note a pull on the wheel the TruCenter is a good fix. The end of a long driving day is not as tough now as it was without this device.

I hope you enjoy your 40U as much as we are ours.

Happy trails,

PS: Here is a picture of my rollers. How does this compare to yours?
Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollers.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	582.1 KB
ID:	114919  
Old 12-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I looked at our '11 40U rollers and I didn't see anything of note. When bringing the slides in, on both sides, the front set of rollers (nearer the front of the coach) rolled as expected, but both rear sets didn't roll at all. Slides all moved as expected.

Don't know that they ever worked any differently, but will look again when we move again.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
I looked at our '11 40U rollers and I didn't see anything of note. When bringing the slides in, on both sides, the front set of rollers (nearer the front of the coach) rolled as expected, but both rear sets didn't roll at all. Slides all moved as expected.

Don't know that they ever worked any differently, but will look again when we move again.
I have never watched mine while the slide is moving. I'll have to do that. I think we have talked about lubing in the past. When I first applied the CRC Power Lube (PTFE) I did notice a significant difference in the movement of the slides. Much smoother and quiet. Do you see any sort of a flat spot developing on the back rollers?
Old 12-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

rollers

Looks the same as mine, note the slide only rides on about 1/4" of the rolllers. I am making new rollers that go all the way across the ram with a relief cut out to clear the gear. The shaft it rides on will aalso go all the way across, eliminating the shoulder bolts that the current rollers ride on (and can loosen over time).

The NAPA AGM batteries are EAST PENN AGM batteries, also sold as DEKA AGM batteries.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Looks the same as mine, note the slide only rides on about 1/4" of the rolllers. I am making new rollers that go all the way across the ram with a relief cut out to clear the gear. The shaft it rides on will aalso go all the way across, eliminating the shoulder bolts that the current rollers ride on (and can loosen over time).

The NAPA AGM batteries are EAST PENN AGM batteries, also sold as DEKA AGM batteries.
Your project sounds ambitious. I hope it all works as you plan.

About the batteries. When I first bought my rig, about 2 1/2 years ago, I looked up the batteries. As I recall, at that time they were Optima if I recall correctly. I will admit that I could be recalling incorrectly. But, considering that we used Deka and East Penn batteries where I worked I don't know why my recall of this battery would be so poor. Our house battery is the 9834 if I am correct and has a 75 month warranty. If yours are failing you might look into that.

We were at Freightliner for the past 2 days. The coach went about 8 hour without being plugged in, as if dry docking. When I checked the One Place readout the house battery was still at 12.1V. There was still plenty of life left in it to keep the fridge happy. This coach was built in '10.

Looking forward to your updates.

Rick Y.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Update

You are almost correct on that battery number it 9831DT as NAPA and
8A32DTM as a DEKA. My reason for the new rollers is that when we travel we will be on the road for about 11,000 miles and 5 months. I do not want any more failures while on the road. I believe the failures of the plastic rollers were due to the shoulder bolts being very slightly loose. They only had a lock nut and no lock washer to spread out the load when the slide moves. There will be no situation that would loosen the new shaft and it would not effect the operation regardless.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You are almost correct on that battery number it 9831DT as NAPA and
8A32DTM as a DEKA. My reason for the new rollers is that when we travel we will be on the road for about 11,000 miles and 5 months. I do not want any more failures while on the road. I believe the failures of the plastic rollers were due to the shoulder bolts being very slightly loose. They only had a lock nut and no lock washer to spread out the load when the slide moves. There will be no situation that would loosen the new shaft and it would not effect the operation regardless.
I took the number out of my owners manual. I have not looked at what is in the coach. I don't know if I can see any details if I go into the bay. I'll try later today.

What a trip you have planned! This can't be a vacation. Not traveling that much. Do you drive at night? I am not comfortable doing that with this coach. Any little light from outside seems to reflect off the windshield and, at worst, becomes what I am looking at because I can't see beyond it. Not a good thing in night traffic.

I look forward to pictures of the finished project. I take it that the new shaft will pass through the rail?

Rick Y
Old 01-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Iwasouth, I opened the bay today and here are some pictures of what I found. The dust was thick but I removed a good deal of it with a paint brush. Yes, our battery # matches. I am a bit concerned with the case swelling. I will have to keep an eye on that. But the bank still seems to be strong.

The power arrangement on this coach seems to be very nice. I am certain you know how the auto start for the generator works, but did you know that when on 30A service, under certain conditions, your inverter will supplement your power? I have seen it deliver as much as an added 18 amps to my 30A service when it is over taxed. This is usually the microwave that is supplemented. Any feeds off the inverter have this potential to be supplemented.

If your engine grill has not been re-secured, I would suggest doing so. Many of us have had it fall out. I pop riveted mine into the frame.

If you find that the coach steering pulls a bit, this seems to be a common problem. I installed the Blue Ox TruCenter and it really helps, especially in the wind.

I put the M4products.com Elite LED's in my ceiling fixtures and exterior lights. Much better light. I like the Natural light temperature.

Even with the few small problems I have experienced with this coach it seems to be a good rig. The worst problem was just fixed. My coach would not crank in the usual manner from the switch in the run or pre-start position. I had to turn it all the way back to ACC and then to start to get the engine to crank. It turned out to be the transmission computer that was not passing the neutral switch signal through to the start relay.

That is enough for now. If you have any question feel free to PM me or post them here.

Happy trails,
Rick Y