Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

We're coming in tomorrow afternoon. I have never had to use jack pads and don't have any. How heavy plywood do I need to make them?
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We're coming in tomorrow afternoon. I have never had to use jack pads and don't have any. How heavy plywood do I need to make them?
You didn't say what section you will be in, but here, in section E, the ground is reasonably firm. I am using 2x12x12 pads, sandwiched with 3/4"x12x12's, and they have only pushed into the ground about half the thickness of the 2x12. If you habve an opportunity to buy an 8' 2x12 at Lowes, e=for example, and they will cut it for free, have them cut it into 4 equal lengths. That should work well, I think.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I think I have some in the shop.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Thanks, I think I have some in the shop.
If not, they have a supply of what they call "timbers" here at the rally grounds that you can pick up to use.

We are in California row... sec C, row 8, site 28 and the ground is quite firm.

I have 12x12" and they sunk in about an inch. And that's with the full weight of the front since my tires are just off the ground.

Plenty of cool air right now (at noon) it was 66 deg, but a real brisk wind at 22 mph. Should be dry all week with no rain in the forecast til Sat night.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

We arrived safe and sound about noon today. We are in Section A Row 6 Site 15. Rally Grounds look to be in great shape. We are getting rested up so we can start partying. My first call was from our friend Duner and we will certainly get together. Thanks for the call Bill.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:44 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Scott,

Let me help clarify this for you. I am one of the Lead Parkers at GNR. (I am responsible for Section A). We have asked everyone to put large jack pads or long timbers under their levelers. This is not to prevent holes in the ground. This is to prevent the leveler jack from sinking into the ground because it is so soft from all the rain. We have seen people with an 8 inch pad and they put a small 8 inch jack pad under it. Both will quickly (over night) completely sink into the ground and will often not come back up. You have to dig a major hole to get them out and sometimes the springs pop off. (We have had people try to move their coach to get them loose and bend the pistons.)
The "diggers" (as we call the two college kids doing all the work) will normally provide three each 3 foot oak timbers to place under each jack. Or, in some cases it is better to dig a hole for the front or rear wheels to sink into get them to drop lower to aid in getting the motorhome level. For example, if the front end was too high they will sometimes dig two hole for the front tires to drop 8 to 10 inches with is often just enough to get the motorhome level. Each case, of course, is different.
The holes will be refilled after GNR and the grass will quickly return.
A jack pad should be twice the size of your leveler pad. If your leveler pad is 8 inches then you need a jack pad that is 16 inches; 9 inches would mean 18 inch jack pad, etc. A plastic pad is not very useful and I did have a guy try to use an 18 in jack pad made out of 1/4 inch plywood which also did not work. We dug out his jacks this morning.
I hope this helps.
>> Dennis
Dennis,
I surely thank you for you taking the time to explain. I was just wondering 'cause I thought Winne wanted their terrain intact before and after the rally. I was just not aware they were authorizing "digging" in any situation. Yep, I too have been digging in various leveling scenarios for decades. I've dug out for one set of wheels and raised the others, all to achieve PRIMARY leveling so the jacks don't have to do all the work. I'm one of those that does not like to tweak the rig AT ALL.

I carry a small lumber yard with me and, if you'd like to stop by for a cup of coffee or a Wine cooler (no beer on hand), you can see my lumber yard is under all four jacks and, most of my tires. And, my spot is not all that "un-level". I just like protecting my rig. Stop by and say hi. We're in Row C, side 9, spot 28. Duner just landed in front of us and ruined my view, JUST KIDDING!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Good morning Scott,

When you guys get a chance can ya post up a few photos for those of us living vicariously through your GNR experience so we’ll know what to expect when we’re able to join this fantastic event someday? Hope to be camping with you three again soon…

Thanks and have a wonderful time
Ron
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Coming in on a wing and a prayer. Hoped to get to GNR today but when leaving campground this AM the drivers side slide would not retract. Solo had to call a moblie tech. He got the slide in but not fixed. Too late in PM when he finished to continue trip to GNR. Will head in tomorrow. I hope you folks saved me a site in Section A the Illinois group.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Good morning Scott,

When you guys get a chance can ya post up a few photos for those of us living vicariously through your GNR experience so we’ll know what to expect when we’re able to join this fantastic event someday? Hope to be camping with you three again soon…

Thanks and have a wonderful time
Ron
Hey, Good morning to you too Ron,
And yes, it's the "weee hours of the morning". You see, I'm up at before the crack of dawn 'cause 1, I can't sleep and two, It's the only time I can get onto the net due to the fact that there's so many people here and, they're using their "hot spot" components to get on the net on a regular basis and they were told NOT TO USE HOT SPOTS because it goofs up the free Wi-Fi that Winnebago provides.

So, the only time I can get on is zero dark thirty. Anyway, good to hear from you. Hope all is well with Cindy and the gang. They place is fairly crowded now due to almost all who've planned on being here are here. Nothing but Winnebagos and Itascas, everywhere you turn. There's some seminars on various subjects on a quite often basis but, so far, the one's we've (a buddy and I) have attended so far, are way too basic and poorly taught. Oh well, It's an experience and, there's lots of friendly people here.

Duner (Bill) and I (he's right across from us) have talked quite a bit. He just had CDI, the painting section of Winne, re-do the clear coat on the top radius of his coach 'cause he's the original owner and, it's on it's last year, the tenth, of warranty and he got them to do a bang up job, FOR FREE, sort of.

I'd like to have done the same thing but, we're not the original owners. Anyway, we still have today and five more days to be here 'cause we, the buddy and I, scheduled the Camp Freightliner class for Monday and Tuesday of next week but, I'm bored out of my mind and might not wait. We've been through two factory assembly tours and, other specialty building tours and those were quite informative. It was nice to be able to talk with assemblers and builders while coaches were moving down the line. They were all, very nice and willing to answer any questions any of us had.

We were not allowed to take pictures due to Winnes protection of their operations. No biggie. Well, that's about it for now. I'm going to try and post some pics of the area so, we'll see if they come through or not 'cause it's now getting to be sunrise and I may lose the net. Take care, say hi to Cindy for us. Sophie says hi too. Well, I tried to attach some photos but, there's already too many people on private hot spots and, the system won't let me do it. Maybe later.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 AM   #50

GNR update. Just for us, not really our cup of tea. However, we did get warranty work done on the RV so that is good and I hope we are fine. Leaving today to get to a campground before the weekend. Just too noisy and crowded here for our tastes but some of it was fine. Probably won't be a regular rally type RV'er but lots of people here sure having fun and enjoying the rally. Temp is great this morning - 48 degrees and feels wonderful! I originally started this post saying I hoped to meet other Minnie Winnie 31KP owners - and that was sort achieved - met two other 31K owners. Unfortunately one of them was being backed into place by a "parker" and backed their 4 month old Winnie into another RV and ripped out the corner of the Minnie Winnie - very sad. Hope the insurance will settle - don't know how that works.

For those that might remember my posts on this new RV troubles Winnebago service completed:
1. Found the culprit (we hope) on the back up cameras. Said it was a wire being pulled too tight and a connector not staying good. It would go off and on on bumps.
2. Found 2 more very small leaks and sealed. Then did a great job (again we hope) of a water test and an air test and all is now good on the leaks. (had major front cap leaks when new)
3. Replaced a piece of furniture and a trim piece (took 3 tries to get the right trim piece but they got it done). This is stuff that got wet and swelled up from the leaks.
4. Installed an antifreeze siphon pump. Weird story - manual says it has one and Winnebago prides themselves (big poster in the WIT center) that they are the only RV company that gives you a specific manual to your rig - has your serial number on the manual. Well, it did not have a siphon pump for antifreeze (my prefered method) and I had purchased one and Winnebago agreed to install it for free and said they will change that part of the manual.
5. The awning has an LED strip under at the top and it was coming loose - thought that would be simple but they had to order a new awning and that took a couple of days but all good now.

We learned how the service work is organized during the GNR and pre-GNR. You sign up for service upon arrival and each day postings are made with the name and number of those scheduled for the next day. We were actually called in to start service at noon the day after we arrived and then spent that half day and the next full day and then had a three day break and then another full day to get it all done. You take your rig there to the service area at 6 AM if you have a full day which means getting up at 5 am or so to be ready to move the rig and figure out where to spend your day. But you are in company with lots of other RV'ers and Winnebago provides coffee and refreshments and wifi. And there is great free transportation in shuttle buses to anyplace in town and back - very nice service.

Biggest thing we learned: You do not have to sign up for the GNR rally to get the service work done - we could have stayed free in two or three different places here without signed up and paying for the GNR and still got our service number, etc. I thought you had to sign up for GNR ($210) to get any slot for service work pre-rally when all service work is done first come, first serve. There was confusion among attendees about warranty work - many told us you can't get warranty work done during GNR but Winnebago says that is not true - you can't get EXTENDED warranty done during the rally but regular warranty work is fine (all of ours was warranty work).

Since we did pay for the GNR (does NOT include $10 per day camping fee for pre-rally days) we attended a couple of seminars and enjoyed the vendor setup. But as a WIT member I learned you can always stay a few days free at the WIT headquarters parking - with electric only but there is a very nice City park nearby with 10 dump stations and free. (Camping at the City Park is $15 day but the dump stations are free).

So, all in all a leaning curve for us and our first rally experience. Heading out this morning to a campground in MN.
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

Well, down at our end of the California row it's been nice and quite. Just the toot and toot-toot for the stop and go signal of the people trolley. Nice'n cool for sleeping and not too warm for the activities during the day.

Some pic's At the Visitor Center

My rig getting new paint at CDI

New & Retro Winnies for sale

The entertainment last evening

View of the rally grounds
Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #52
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Gary, your experience has been noted when we're finally able to make this event, hopefully saving lots diesel fuel money in the process ...Safe journey to MN.

Thank you so much Bill! your photos are a great way for us less fortunate to enjoy the rally. We were so close in joining Scott's caravan this year but just couldn't schedule that much time away from work life. My parents attended this event back in the 70's in their 24 foot Brave! I think gas was about 35 cents a gallon!!
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #53
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for help in planning for our first GNR. We had a great time! Arrived on Sunday evening so stayed at Pammel Park. What a lovely site overlooking the river and golf course. Monday we moved to the GNR grounds section B, Michigan row. There were very few if any, mosquitos. The temperatures were quite comfortable, we only used our air conditioning one afternoon.
We learned things at seminars; heard user experiences; took three tours; enjoyed the entertainment; appreciated the helpfulness and preplanning of so many.
We purchased a Rand Mcnally GPS at the 'yard sales'. We picked up a few other small things. Our big purchase was a Fabulous Vent Fan. We had been looking to install a Fantastic Fan, but learned about Fabulous Fans at a seminar. We decided for a bit less money, the Fabulous Stove Vent Fan would perform three nice functions for us. 1. Exhausts cooking odors directly through the range hood. 2. Exhausts the whole rig with three speeds and much quieter than the original fan 3. Has a bright/dim LED light. It took less than 15 minutes for Chris to install the fan.
The Youth Program was definitely a summer camp for the grands. They had a load of fun. Our two favorite entertainment were the Row Parties and Jefferson Starship.. yes they were past their prime, but so are we!
We had no issues leaving the grounds late Sunday afternoon.
Mike and Leslie
2003 29' Minnie
Leslie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote