Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

I know it's only January, but I'm going to step right up and start a thread about this years GNR, July 19 -24. As many of you know, we had an irv2 get together last year that turned out pretty well. I have been asked if we will be doing it again this year?? This will be the 40th anniversary of WIT and the theme would be revisiting that era. I know one night will be a "Big Band" show and another a comedian and of course the ever popular traveling Polka Band on Wednesday. We have a pretty good number from the Virginia chapters that will be making the trip this year and we have started planning our Row Party already. For anyone out there that is concerned about Winnebago...don't be. They are slower than they would like to be right now, but they are solid and holding their own. So if you are interested in another irv2 get together let me know. The GNR registration form is available on the Winnegago web site.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You can add us to the list again this year if another get together will be held. I was there for all of about three minutes last year before having to go by ambulance to the Mason City hospital. Would love to give it another shot for 2009.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

As I remember your better half and I were at the service department during the get together. I hope to be there this year. Winnebago will be in business as long as they do not forget quality. Jim
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We are interested and plan to be there again this year. I wonder if there should be a conection to the WIT area for this topic. There doesn't seem to be much activity there!
Old 01-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We are registered...and a big 'yes' to another IRV2 get together..

Hope we can get a cooler gathering area with WIT planners vs the tent oven.

Thanks for starting this thread early..we are WIT supporters...and are off to WIT Mardi Gras next month. Of the hoped for 30 + rigs...13 signed up..but WIT sticks with it..we'll stick with them.

Charlie and Francoise
Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We are planning to be there. We were there last year but had to leave early. Hope it is a bit cooler.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Though I have been to the Winnebago factory numerous times, I have never attended the Grand National Rally. I am planning to attend the this year and would like to know about the section "lower D." (larger units with 30 amps). Is this area considerably further away from everything? Are the sites a lot bigger and more preferable than the state sites? If you have stayed there before, would you stay there again? What is considered the best location to stay at. Thanks for any and all opinions. Al Spivey
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I couldn't find a map of Rally Park. I have one somewhere and will look it up, but I believe Lower D is down by Friendship Hall where the vendors show, and quite near the amphitheater and food vendors. You really don't have to worry about getting around as they have a lot of people mover trailers pulled by tractors running all the time. You won't regret going. That section would be the farthest from the factory and service center, but they have buses running to them all the time, as well as downtown Forest City.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally posted by John Hilley:
I couldn't find a map of Rally Park. I have one somewhere and will look it up, but I believe Lower D is down by Friendship Hall where the vendors show, and quite near the amphitheater and food vendors. You really don't have to worry about getting around as they have a lot of people mover trailers pulled by tractors running all the time. You won't regret going. That section would be the farthest from the factory and service center, but they have buses running to them all the time, as well as downtown Forest City.
On site and off site local transportation was best ever last year..people movers...carts...GNR has that transportation system down to a science now..
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #10

To Al,
We have never requested a particular area as we have chosen to always park in our state row (VA). I see you are listed as from NC..are you a member of a chapter there? To us, it is more fun to park with your state, esp. for the State Row party. Unfortunately, you will not know where that is until you arrive on the grounds. The parkers will take you to your spot. If you look at the aerial view picture on the Winnebago site, you can see why you need to let them park you! The parkers have been doing this for years, and are very good at it. On the registration form it also lists the special interest clubs if you are a member of any of those. The area you are placed for the state rows is determined by Winnebago once they see how many coaches from each state will be attending. As stated by others, the "People Movers" are great at getting people around, and nothing is really that far away. Also, you can rent a golf cart, which we have done each year, to use for the week. It is a little expensive, but we split it with another couple. That way we can park it right by our coach and use it when we need it. You can't park your car at your coach once the rally starts, but cars are parked on the perimeters and they are not the far away. We decided to go to GNR three years ago just to say "we've been there". Well, this will be our fourth year in a row going because we enjoy it so much. Look forward to seeing you there.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We too are going, for the first time, this year. We even registered, paid in full, in August last year. Really looking forward to it.

Only 1 question.... We will be in the handicap electrical section. Anything we should know about this area, or, anything else for that matter, for newbee's.

Thanks,
David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #12

When you receive your packet, pretty much all of your questions will probably be addressed. If you have a particular concern or question, just drop me a line and I will try to help you with it. My DH uses a Rascal scooter, and we have never had any problems with him getting around the grounds. As I said before, we park in our state row, and it's always been fine. Glad to see several first timers going this year.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We will be there in the AR row. Look forward to seeing all there.....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Here's layouts of the GNR grounds and Forest City (Courtesy of Route 66 in the member galleries section of irv2 Photos):

Forest City

Winnie Grounds

Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We'll be there too! This will be our second time. Like Glenda1908 we wanted to go at least once to see what it was all about. Since we had so much fun last year we decided that we just have to go again! We applied for 50amp section.
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #16

Jeanne, now you're hooked! I can see why folks have been coming for many years.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #17

I thought I'd bring up GNR again since I have some new info. They have decided on the perfect theme for the 40th Anniversary of WIT. Since 1969 was also the year of "Woodstock", GNR 2009 will be known as "WITstock"! I think this should be a lot of fun...esp. for those of us that remember those days. The dress style should be easy to duplicate. However, I am including a quote from the guy in charge:

"I am sure you have heard and read the stories about what took place during the four-day celebration in Woodstock. We want everyone to attend this year’s GNR and have a great time, but WIT members must know and understand that the WIT staff will ensure that nothing like what happened in the fields of New York will happen in the fields of Iowa."

I wonder what he means by that????

I just wanted to pass this bit of news along so you can all dig out your bell bottoms and you guys can grow your hair (if you still have some) and the ladies can get out their sandals and love beads.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by glenda1908:I just wanted to pass this bit of news along so you can all dig out your bell bottoms and you guys can grow your hair (if you still have some) and the ladies can get out their sandals and love beads.
Sandals I've got. But I'm not sure I ever had any 'love beads' to begin with...I have a bunch of those mardi gras beads that you get in Vegas..will that work? LOL!!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Al, good question. Lower D is a very nice area and fills up very fast. It is closer to the area where the activities are held and in the area where the Louisiana bunch hang out which is a major plus. Your state club president should chase you down to where you are staying so that he can deliver any important messages and let you know when the row party is.. Area E is also choice but farther away from activities. It has 50 amps which is nice but I felt isolated from friends staying in state row. Need more let me know.
Don, WIT 70041
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #20

I agree with Don. Parking in your state row is really the most fun. Nothing is very far away from the activities. And as I said before, if you don't rent a golf cart, the "people movers" will get you where you want to go all day long.