Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electric Pressure Cooker

As a full timer, have been thinking that the pressure cooker advertised on TV might be a handy item to have. Any thoughts on the matter and/or brand preferences?

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have an Instant Pot; it costs a bit more but had excellent reviews. It serves as both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker. http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP...ds=instant+pot
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I love my pressure cooker. Not electric, but same idea. You can make a mean and tender beef stew in about an hour. Cook down a chicken for homemade soup in about the same time.
But I never thoght about using it in the RV, because I usually have lots of time in the RV. Pressure cookers are great if you are in a rush to make a slow meal. For the RV, I like a crockpot style slow cooker.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Have not seen the one advertised on TV.. Since you RV many outlet malls have a store called "KITCHEN COLLECTION" check out their offerings (several both electric and stove top) If you are in the S.E. USA Freds has a stove top for 25 dollars. Not a bad unit, I'm looking at one as I type this. (yes, it is mine).
Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have always carried a pressure cooker in the rv. DW got the electric model several months ago and absolutely loves it. Neatest part of the electric model to me is that it is totally silent ... it is not making all kinds of noise and is NOT spewing steam and whatever into the air.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bought an Instant Pot on Amazon. $119.99,no shipping. Thanks for the input and Merry Christmas to all of our forum members.

Don G, formerly of Santa Clara,CA now 20 miles down the road in Morgan Hill.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We have an Instant Pot; it costs a bit more but had excellent reviews. It serves as both a pressure cooker and a slow cooker. http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP...ds=instant+pot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Bought an Instant Pot on Amazon. $119.99,no shipping. Thanks for the input and Merry Christmas to all of our forum members.

Don G, formerly of Santa Clara,CA now 20 miles down the road in Morgan Hill.
Our old Slow Cooker had begun to show signs of entering the death spiral so we began searching for a new one and/or a rice cooker. Last night, as we poured over the reviews of these items on Amazon we came across the Instant Pot. The more we read about it, the more we like the idea of cooking with one, so we ordered it. It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who thought it would work well in their RV.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

the DW got the one advertised on TV for a gift at XMAS, she uses every week and loves it. also likes the idea of the delay timer to start it. and it can also be used for a crock pot. the inside is non stick coating makes it asy for cleaning.

Shop Power Pressure Cooker | Power Pressure Cooker XL™
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Can you use an electric pressure cooker when you are not plugged into shore power and without the generator running? We have a 2000 watt inverter, but the coach is new to us and I don't know what kinds of things I can run off of the inverter and still keep everything running.
I saw one that you heat to boiling on the stove, and then seal it up and it keeps cooking all day, not using electricity, but I can't find what it was called. I thought that would be a good option for boon docking.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:54 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We used a small slow cooker for years in our RV. But many times, needed to do meals faster. Just in time for Super Bowl, this year, we purchased the Instant Pot, from Amazon. Turned out to be a great decision. Works great, does everything they tell you on the infomercial for a competing brand. You can pretty much use any of your regular recipes, just find a similar dish recipe on line, for amounts of liquids and timing.
As for power use, couldn't be better, I placed ours on a meter, when heating up, it uses about 925 watts, but once it hits cooking pressure, (5-10 minutes) power use drops to practically zero, even over 30-40 minutes of cooking time. Great for using with an inverter and battery power.
And the food comes out great. I especially like the stainless steel inner pot, easy to use and easy to clean.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
As a full timer, have been thinking that the pressure cooker advertised on TV might be a handy item to have. Any thoughts on the matter and/or brand preferences?
The Power Pressure Cooker XL seen on TV is 6 quarts and will feed 4 and more easily. Power Pressure Cooker XL | PowerPressureCooker.com I checked and that company does not make a smaller version.

While at Quartzsite this year I found a similar and smaller version, a 4 qt electric pressure cooker "GoWise USA" Amazon.com: gowise pressure cooker
I also have a "Nordic Ware Microwave Tender Cooker" 2.5 qt Pressure Cooker. Amazon.com: Nordic Ware Microwave Tender Cooker 2.5 Quart: Kitchen & Dining
For 2-3 people these are fine and are small enough for washing and fit inside overhead cupboards.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If you are near an outlet mall check to see if they have a Kitchen Collection store.

Pressure cookers are dang handy,,Turn an hours long job into minutes.

The only worry is this: Some "Seen on TV" stuff is first rate... Some of it not so first rate.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It was called a thermal cooker. Has anyone used one?
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote