Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

As you may have noticed (from my siggy pic), my primary toad hookup is not good - from a safety standpoint. The baseplate on the toad is ~7" higher than the receiver.

I have researched, and the only practical solution I have found is to get an 8" drop receiver and install it upside down - raising the hitch point on the coach. Since there will be no vertical load, to speak of, I didn't foresee any problems with this. However, I'd like some input from someone better versed on the physics of this particular application than I.

FWIW, the hitch is rated at 10K, 500# vertical (? curious in itself ?), the drop receiver is rated at 5000/500, and the load with the toad is 4480/50. The toad has coach activated brakes, and they work. We have towed it >11,000 miles without incident.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

As you may have noticed (from my siggy pic), my primary toad hookup is not good - from a safety standpoint. The baseplate on the toad is ~7" higher than the receiver.

I have researched, and the only practical solution I have found is to get an 8" drop receiver and install it upside down - raising the hitch point on the coach. Since there will be no vertical load, to speak of, I didn't foresee any problems with this. However, I'd like some input from someone better versed on the physics of this particular application than I.

FWIW, the hitch is rated at 10K, 500# vertical (? curious in itself ?), the drop receiver is rated at 5000/500, and the load with the toad is 4480/50. The toad has coach activated brakes, and they work. We have towed it >11,000 miles without incident.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Norm,

Here's a clip from Tow Bar Angle and Height Discussion in MH - Towing Issues and Toads

Correcting the problem

This is the easy part. Blue Ox manufactures a complete line of drop receivers. They range in drop from 2 to 10 inches in increments of 2 inches. These drops can also be inverted in the event that the baseplate is higher than the receiver hitch on the coach. Along with the drop receivers (pictured somewhere) Blue Ox also manufactures what we call a hitch immobilizer which can be bolted to the drop receiver and the receiver hitch to keep the slack from allowing the drop to move around too much. I would encourage all dealerships to have several of these drops and immobilizers on hand at all times. They are a quick sale, and an even easier install. It sure beats dealing with issues down the road that were caused by too much height difference.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
I helped | retired moderator

One issue to be aware of, is the greater the drop, or rise in this case using a drop hitch, the more torque or leverage is applied to the MH receiver.

Some MH hitch receivers have broken from the excess force, but I believe they were hitches that use a round cross bar as opposed to a square one.

BTW, the 500# vertical rating is the maximum tongue weight of a trailer.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

As you can see from my avatar I tow a 4X4 on 37in. tires. I've been using the inverted drop hitch for years without a "hitch".

I had the base plate custom made with detachable drop down receivers but was still too high. Shop said there were no problems using the drop receiver. Having the rig higher is very dangerous in a panic stop situation, especially mine which has a custom iron bumper with detachable winch installed. It would probably end up in the living room.

I'm not versed in the law of physics but have used it for many years.

Good luck.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Norm,
Did you consider a drop receiver rated a 10K #?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Norm, I have been using a six inch drop receiver inverted for over two years without issue. As a matter of fact, I also use a surge brake system that allows the blue ox tow bar to slide back and forth about two inches when the MH brakes. Works smooth as silk with my 5K pound Wrangler Unlimited. The tow bar is nearly dead level.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

With a fairly recent purchase of an Explorer with 18" wheels, I had to increase my 4" inverted drop receiver to 8". I've towed this way with no issues. I do think a good proportional brake system for the towed vehicle helps minimize the excess torque placed on the receiver using these set ups.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, all! I have an 8" drop hitch ordered from my dealer (he gave me the same price as the 'net dealers, with no shipping charges).

I ordered the one from Blue Ox (to match the Aventa LX towbar), along with 3 of the Immobilizer II's (2 fot the drop hitch setup, plus one for the View).

GaryKD: The only 10K I saw was the adjustable one. Couldn't see the value / price.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Being anal about appearence I opted to have one made at great expense that not only fixes my problem, but tucks nicely back toward the coach so as also not extend that hitch any further than necessary.

And it looks good too..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Its amazing to me that with a diesel towing a Saturn the tow bar was level. Going to a gasser I had to use a drop "down" hitch and I had to get two immobilizers as I did have play in the connections..

Now I read where you guys with the taller connections have to go up to make the tow bar level. Never thought of it before. I can see where a good braking system is a must or look our Moho rear end with an emergency stop.

For answers to any technical questions I would go to the horses mouth ei: the folks that know. The manufacturers of your equipment. Safe Miles and Happy Travels to All
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I bought a double drop hitch so I could use my bike rack.I wasnt happy about the movement and play.Rattled alot.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

porscheracer,
Go here to read about the horizontal forces and weight multipliers that are in play when a panic stop is under way. With a good braking system the weight forces mentioned should be neutralized. One never knows if everything is in sync between the coach and toad brakes. Because your toad is near the maximum rating of the drop receiver, I just wanted to make sure you are aware of the potential problems and at least one choice to reduce the risk.

Go here to see the 10K weight rating drop receivers from Roadmaster.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
I bought a double drop hitch so I could use my bike rack.I wasnt happy about the movement and play.Rattled alot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Blue Ox makes 3 different types of hitch immobilizer. Click HERE. They are a little expensive, and with a drop receiver or extender, you need 2 of them. I think Roadmaster has something similar.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
With a good braking system the weight forces mentioned should be neutralized. One never knows if everything is in sync between the coach and toad brakes. Because your toad is near the maximum rating of the drop receiver, I just wanted to make sure you are aware of the potential problems and at least one choice to reduce the risk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Gary. You're preaching to the choir regarding toad brakes.

I'm a fanatic about having adequate, working, proportional brakes on whatever I tow - whether it be a trailer, or a toad. For the Dakota, I chose a U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake. Other than the fact that the dealer mis-installed the blocking diode (toad brake was energized by engine brake application), it has been very satisfactory.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Putting a 10,000 lb drop into a 10,000 receiver doesn't mean you are still safe for 10,000.

An 8" drop would keep me up at night!

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
Putting a 10,000 lb drop into a 10,000 receiver doesn't mean you are still safe for 10,000.

An 8" drop would keep me up at night! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed on the loading. I prefer to keep my tow arrangement like my life: simple, and understressed.

This would actually constitute an 8" "rise" in my scenario. Why would that distress you?? Seriously.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Frankie, where did you buy your double receiver from. I have been looking for one. Thanks.
Don
thebings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eddie Foy:
Why would that distress you?? Seriously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I beleive it is due to the torque on the receiver, due to an emergency stop. Receivers are generally not designed for very large torque and could break the weld of the receiver tube off the mounting bracket. I had to put a 6in riser on my MH (solid blue ox), pulling 4500 Lbs Ford Explorer. I think the only remedy to manage the issue is the toad break. (for me it is a ready break surge type unit).
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thebings:
Frankie, where did you buy your double receiver from. I have been looking for one. Thanks.
Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got it here a few years backDouble drop reciever

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote