Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Bike Rack for Itasca Navion

I have a 2010 Itasca Navion (same as Winnebago View), and I'm having difficulty finding a bicycle rack to fit it. The spare tire is mounted on the back of the MH, and the distance between the hitch pin hole and the outermost surface of the tire is 12.5 inches.

The only motorhome approved bike racks from Thule and Yakima are the "hanging" type, and the length of the bottom bar is insufficient for the upright mast to clear the spare tire.

Is anyone using the Swagman Dispatch? I'm sure there are View owners out there traveling with bicycles. What bike rack do you use? Thanks.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Robert,

I purchased a Swagman carrier for my 16 Navion 24M It has the spare tire wrapped in the hard shell and this was the only one I could find that fit at the time. I purchased it in late 2015 off of Amazon and I see it's still available from them. I'm going to enclose a photo of the unit on my 24M. I think the measurement from center hitch pin to vertical post is about 13" or so as I recall. I no longer have it now but it worked great while we did. Hope this helps...

Alan

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4092.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	172770  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Swagman Dimensions copy.pdf (458.3 KB, 38 views)
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

1UpUSA bike rack

I have a 2016 Navion V without the rear spare tire mount, but I think my 1UpUSA bike carrier and Roadmaster Part #077-4 dual hitch receiver (10,000 lb weight rating) would give you the clearance you need. I’ve used this setup for four years without problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7194A3ED-50B4-4DD6-A35F-2853924794AF.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	172809  
Playtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Get a 2” extension tube

When I bought my Winnebago View, I simply bought a 12” 2 inch receiver from Harbor Freight. Bike rack easily clears the spare and removes the need for a special rack.
Jim Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I use an Allen 2 bike rack I ordered from Amazon. I’ve traveled across the country and back and have t worked well. I have a 2008 View. I also put a heavy duty bike cover on the whole thing and use some extra help aches and bungee cords to secure the whole thing. It’s heavy and sturdy but when the bikes are on it tips a little side to side but that does not seem to matter. I’ve taken it up and down mountain passes and on some pretty bumpy roads.
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

TriGlider: Thanks for the info and the pictures. Swagman now sells an XP-4 model that looks similar to the one you had, but the bike mounting clamp swivels, allowing you to adjust it so that the bicycle is not mounted at an angle. The receiver bar is the same length as the model you had. Looks like this will work nicely.

Thanks to all who responded!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest adding an anti-rattle hitch clamp to eliminate rack wobble/bounce. This will also slow down a thief. Regards, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2012 Navion 24M with rear mounted spare tire. I mounted a "Surco 501CR Ladder Mounted Chair Rack" available from Amazon on the ladder, above the spare tire. It is very well made, has sturdy aluminum mounting clamps and braided hold-down straps.straps.It appears that the rack can be mounted upside down on the ladder which would allow enough distance for bicycles above the spare tire. Might be tricky to load and unload and to protect bikes and MC

On my wish list is a front grill guard that has a bicycle mounting capability. Anybody know of such a product that fits a MB Sprinter? Not Ranch Hand!
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who responded.

I ended up purchasing a Swagman Escapee bike rack. It is motorhome approved and it is a tray type. The bikes mount very securely. It will accommodate 2 bikes up to 60 lbs. each, which will be great if we later upgrade to e-bikes.

I bought it from etrailer.com. It arrived with no damage and was easy to assemble. It is a heavy beast though! It weighs 65 lbs. However, if you mount it with a helper there is no problem.

When I mounted it to the receiver hitch on the motorhome, I was disappointed to see that the arm that holds the inner bike to the rack wouldn't clear the spare tire... I purchased an 8 inch receiver extender which solved this problem, but introduced a lot of play and bounce on the rack. This problem was solved with a Roadmaster Quiet Hitch anti rattle ring.

One note on the Escapee rack: the trays that hold the wheels are not adjustable as many are for these kind of racks from other manufacturers. This did cause a problem at first, as the handlebar from one bike hit the seat on the other bike. However, since the seat has a quick release leaver, I simply marked the location on the seat post and then dropped the seat down to clear. The bikes are mounted very solidly, with no bounce and I am very satisfied and looking forward to bringing our bikes with us when we go to Maine this summer.

Tags
itasca