Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bike rack

Hi everyone,I am a new owner of a 2009 View 24J and I am looking for a hitch mount bike rack for two bikes. The spare tire is mounted on the back of the motor home and the Swagman platform rack I have doesn't allow enough clearance for the inside bike. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make this rack work or what type of rack I should purchase.
Thanks, Jim
Fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When we had our old pop-up we used a bike rack type a "hitch over" Meaning the bike rack slipped over your draw-bar. So depending on how long your draw-bar is, you have the option to give more space between the rear of your MH and bikes. Here is a pic (Bike rack on pop-up 1999-2005)

How here is another close-up of that same bike rack when I switched to our old 2005 hybrid trailer. I took off the spare tire on the back of the RV and made a "L" shaped bracket with a 2" receiver opening and put the draw-bar from the pop-up into that. If you follow the main bike rack post down to the draw-bar, you will see that there is only about 3" of metal that slides over the draw-bar. 2005-2012 Aerolite hybrid bike rack set-up
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
When we had our old pop-up we used a bike rack type a "hitch over" Meaning the bike rack slipped over your draw-bar. So depending on how long your draw-bar is, you have the option to give more space between the rear of your MH and bikes. Here is a pic (Bike rack on pop-up 1999-2005)

How here is another close-up of that same bike rack when I switched to our old 2005 hybrid trailer. I took off the spare tire on the back of the RV and made a "L" shaped bracket with a 2" receiver opening and put the draw-bar from the pop-up into that. If you follow the main bike rack post down to the draw-bar, you will see that there is only about 3" of metal that slides over the draw-bar. 2005-2012 Aerolite hybrid bike rack set-up
Superslif,
Thanks for the suggestion. M y hitch fits over the drawbar like yours. Maybe I can get a longer drawbar but I am afraid that it would be unstable. I also noticed that your rack is the bike hanging type which can be mounted closer to the vehicle. The one I have is the platform type. Maybe I should look into getting the hanging type.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Perhaps a Thule 916XTR T2 would work? We have one and it looks like the bicycles sit further back then the one you currently have.

I personally like platform racks vs. the hang type. If you have a bicycle made of carbon fiber, most manufacturers do not recommend hanging them.

Here is ours. We use it on the Mini, Subaru and motorhome when not towing the toad.

2008 Mini Cooper S Hitch install by Gene Martel's, on Flickr
Old 03-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We carry our bikes everywhere we go and have a bike carrier similar to yours but no spare tire rack on the RV. I have used the receiver extension and/or a dual receiver on the back of our RV but most of the time I just leave the bike rack on the toad as shown in your picture. My bikes are carbon as well and I don't care for the hanging racks either.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

As a follow up to my previous reply there is a bike rack available at camping world (item 49402) that can slip over your receiver extension or an extension from a dual receiver. I have used this one and it works pretty well. There is another that may work for you at performancebike that is on sale (item 40-0175) I have one of these as well.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryman View Post
Hi everyone,I am a new owner of a 2009 View 24J and I am looking for a hitch mount bike rack for two bikes. The spare tire is mounted on the back of the motor home and the Swagman platform rack I have doesn't allow enough clearance for the inside bike. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to make this rack work or what type of rack I should purchase.
Thanks, Jim
Doesn't your View have a ladder? We used a ladder rack we got from CW, it was inexpensive and very easy to use.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I originally purchased a ladder mount bike rack but after reading some posts on one of these forums came to the conclusion that it's not a good idea to hang bikes on the ladder because of the stress put on the back wall of the camper. If this isn't correct I think the ladder mount rack would best suit my needs. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We bought the Thule 964 a few years ago, before the MH, for use with a Toyota mini van because it had the swing out feature which allows opening the van rear lift up hatch without removing the bikes. After aquiring the MH and Jeep toad we've used it on both those vehicles also.

We can put it on the MH without the Jeep or back of the Jeep if we tow it. It clears the rear spare tire on the Jeep Liberty or allows opening the rear engine grill on the MH. It requires the 2" hitch and holds the bikes securely with locks on the hitch and bikes. Designed for four bikes but roomy for two. Well worth the extra money.
bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryman View Post
I originally purchased a ladder mount bike rack but after reading some posts on one of these forums came to the conclusion that it's not a good idea to hang bikes on the ladder because of the stress put on the back wall of the camper. If this isn't correct I think the ladder mount rack would best suit my needs. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Well that's a thought but after all the ladder is constructed to support a 200 pound person so I doubt it would have difficulty supporting a 25 pound bike. I used one for years on the Navion ( identical to the View) without a problem. As a matter of fact I really miss using it on our Vesta which has no ladder! I went to CW this weekend and bought a folding bike that I can carry in the back bay. Believe me, the ladder rack is a better option.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I mounted the swagman platform rack using an 8" extension and anti rattle locking pins. the fit was perfect, however, When I took it for a test drive with our 2 bikes mounted it bounced too much for my comfort. The locking pins limited the side to side sway but the bounce up and down was significant. I think I will return this rack and get one of the bike hanging styles. Has anyone mounted a bike rack using an extension? How did you limit the movement?
Thanks, Jim
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Like posted above we have the Thule rack, since it is a 2" bar we need to adapt it to the smaller 1-1/4" receiver that the Mini cooper has. For this we use a adapter that probably makes the rack act much like when you have a extension on yours. I chose the 2" model because the rack spends most of the time on the Subaru or motorhome. It does have a little bounce but are bicycles are just under 20 pounds each.

Do you use the rack on any other vehicle other then the RV? If not you could get the extension welded onto the rack making them one piece, this would then do away with another joint that would have movement.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Which ever one you come up with, I woiuld definitely recommend mounting on the car rather than the back of the motor home. We carried ours on the MH ladder carrier for the first 4 years and found there were a lot of places we had the MH parked that were not good places to start riding a bike from. This year we bought a car carrier and what a difference. We even had a great bike tour of Central Park in NYC, that we couldn't have gotten to with the bus. We used the bikes to tour DC and also the French Quarter. We get way more use out of them because they are always with us. Just a thought. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I do not think they tow a car.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have a bike rack we ordered thru Camping World and it is the XC Hitch or Bumper Mount Rack. One thing that is really nice about it is that it fits any frame type bike. We had the type that stood upright and hooked onto the bar frame of the bike, however, we go new bikes and the bar frames were slanted so that rack wouldn't work with the new bikes. We have the rack attached to our tow car and it works really well. The new rack extends out from the hitch receiver enough so it would probably work in your situation. Good Luck!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote