Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Anyone have a Hydralift for a Trike?

We want to take our vehicle and our Trike with us when we travel. We have been exploring our options, all seem to cost around $10k or so, whether it be Hydralift, or modifying a vehicle in order to tow the trike in truck, dolly towing a different vehicle, etc.

We have been looking at the Hydralift for a Trike.. Anyone out there have one? Experiences with it? comments, etc....

Thanks,

if we install it would be on a '08 Winnebago Tour 40TD.
kandb3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Last weekend I saw a DP with one of those Can Am Spiders on a lift on back of the coach, looked like a big load to me but must work okay for him so it can be done.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb3293 View Post
We want to take our vehicle and our Trike with us when we travel. We have been exploring our options, all seem to cost around $10k or so, whether it be Hydralift, or modifying a vehicle in order to tow the trike in truck, dolly towing a different vehicle, etc.

We have been looking at the Hydralift for a Trike.. Anyone out there have one? Experiences with it? comments, etc....

Thanks,

if we install it would be on a '08 Winnebago Tour 40TD.
Well Sir,
I can't speak for the Trike part but, I can for the Hydralift part. Super long story short, we purchased a used, perfect condition Hydralift to install on the back of our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I did the install and, it was both fun and, a bit challenging. Once the lift was on and functioning perfectly, we were off to enjoy all we could with both the GL1800 Honda Goldwing and, our '04 Jeep Rubicon in tow.

We did it for well over 8,000 miles like that, all over the western U.S. If you plan on carrying the trike on your coach like you say, I'd choose the Hydralift over any other maker. They are by far, the nicest, most effecient lift on the market.

Now, as for setting one up for a Trike, I can't help you with that. They are rated at 1,000 lbs and, my Wing tips the scales at or around, 900 lbs. So, I'm pretty sure you're going to be over that with a trike. But a call to the folks at Hydralift will get you all the pertinent information you'll need.

I miss my Hydralift. We now carry the Wing in the back of one of our toads, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. We use the Rampage lift/carrier for that operation. That system works outstandingly too. I've set up the truck and the Rampage so that, when we're done with hauling the bike and, are back at home, that lift is out of the truck in less than 2 minutes and on a cart that I built for it.

So, if I can help with any install questions, surely PM me I'd be glad to help.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

One of these Tow Dolly's may work for both.

A Trike on a lift may put you over on rear axel

For Rear Lifts have your front & rear axle weighted when loaded for travel. Then you can add on the extra weight of a lift by below.
Measure the distance from the center of rear axle to the center of the weight(Lift)
Divide that number by the RV’s wheelbase.
Multiply the result by 100 to get percent. That percent of the load is added to the load and becomes the total load added to the rear axle.

That percent of the load is subtracted from the front axle weight and unloads the front axle by that amount.
800 lb bike, Lift 100 lb=900 lb Center axle to rear 120” wheelbase 240” 120 divide by 240=0.50 X 100= 50%
Weight is 1350 lb added to rear axle Front axle will be 450 lbs lighter
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a hydralift on my Journey and love it. I do not have the trike lift but they do make one for trikes that is rated to lift 1200 pounds. I haul a 2008 Goldwing and pull a 15 Explorer. They have all the different ones on their website.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Might be a bit off topic, but how do you plan on keeping dust/rain, etc from getting into the deep crevices of your bike/trike? Let time I hauled my bike in an open trailer, it took months to get it clean....
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

They make a cover for it also. Mine stays fairly clean but on one occasion I had to travel a short distance on a gravel road and the fan blew a ton of dirt on it.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Keeping a bike, any bike, or trike for that matter, clean while it's hanging on the back of a motor home, is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! I did it for over 8,000 miles and, I did with a cover and, without a cover. On a gas coach, which is almost never done due to the fact that the chassis is too light of chassis to support that kind of additional weight, is not too bad but, it's still going to get dirty.

On a diesel, it's way worse. The primary reason is, a very large percentage of the diesel coaches are rear radiator coaches. And with that, you have the engine fan, which for about 99.999999% of them, is a direct drive fan, with no fan clutch. That means that fan, is running and pushing a lot of air all the time trying to keep that radiator and CAC cool. But, along with that air comes all the "vacuumed up" dirt, dust and debris from the roadway.

A percentage of that dirt, dust and debris will either go through or, around or under that radiator and, yep, you guessed it, onto whatever bike you've got hanging on back there.

Hydralift manufactures and sells what's called the "No touch" Garage/cover for its lifts. It's actually a very nice cover with a sort of bent bow arm construction. And it's a pretty heavy plastic/vinyl cover that zips up in many places. But, the whole theory is for that cover to be attached to the lift and NEVER TOUCH THE BIKE while in transit.

Yeah sure it doesn't. Anyway, after a few arguments, they took it back and, I used another cover made by Ultragard. This cover is like a super thick sleeping bag for bikes. It has a zillion of those black plastic buckles and straps all over it. But, even with all that, if there's any way for that dirt, dust and debris to enter that cover, it will and, you'll have a "dusty" bike. And that Ultra Gard fits very snuggly and, with that, pretty much ZERO flapping which means ZERO etching of the paint.

Now, as for taking a long time to clean it, after some transport, I'm anal about my '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing and, in all reality, it takes me about 15 minutes to do a bang-up job and, it looks like it just rolled off the dealer floor.

So, the point, yes, your bike will get dirty, no doubt about that. You can do what ever you choose to try and protect it but, it's still gonna get some of that dirt/dust/debris into that cover. In the mean time, haul your bike, tow your toad and, enjoy the best of both worlds when you arrive at your destination.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote