Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

anyone convert to stacked washer dryer

I would like to convert to a stacked washer and dryer from the splindide. Has anyone done this? I would like to put a flat screen on the exterior of the present door to the old tv. My rv is a 2004 itasca horizon.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I did the TV upgrades in our past Winnebago coach myself. We now have the stand alone W/D in our current coach and love them. If you have the room for separate W/D you will enjoy having them. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My current bedroom tv is on a swing out above the splindide. I probably didn't explain it right but if I remove the old tv above the washer dryer and make room for a stacked set. I can then use that whole space for the washer and dryer and mount a flat screen tv on the outside of the door that covered the old tv. Thanks for your comments. Jerry
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

I once helped a friend change out a combo Splendide with a stackable Splendide. Keep in mind that the dryer is the same height as the washer and the washer is almost identical in size to the combo unit. Therefore, the two stacked on top of each other will be over 66" which will be approximately 5 1/2 feet.

I did some searching around the internet and found a photo of your 40AD. Does it look like this?:

If so, just eyeballing it, I'm thinking you may not have enough room. Take some measurements and you can easily determine if it will fit.

Again, a compact stackable 24" wide washer will be about 33" high and the dryer will be about the same whether they are a Splendide stackable or another brand.

-harry

edit: looking at it more closely, it may fit. Again, you'll have to put a tape measure to it.

Here's what the Splendide stackable looks like and you can see that the washer and dryer are about the same height:

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

ooops, sorry, Jerry, I looked up a 40AD instead of a 40KD.

Does yours look like the photo above?

I'll have to see what a 40KD looks like.

-harry
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Harry, It looks exactly like mine. We used to have a 5th wheel that had a one peice small stacked unit. I believe it was a whirlpool. My wife really liked it. Thanks, Jerry
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #7

After a quick search the shortest unit I could find was a whirlpool at 71.75 Inches. See if that would fit. I think it would work great if it has room.

As for the TV, thats possible as well. You would need to remove the door from the current housing and refasten it with some heavy duty hinges that can support the weight of a TV. Example. You would probably need 3 of them. I would put a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood on the side of the cabinet where the hinges would go before fastening if it will fit. A safe bet for rigidity.

Then you would need to buy a flat mount and secure it through the door which would also need plywood on the back for rigidity as well just to be safe.

Then you would need someway to keep that door shut/ open.

Long story short it will be quite a task!

As a previous poster mentioned, it may be easier to mount your tv above the unit once its installed with a full motion pull down mount like this for example.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Jerry, was the one in your 5th wheel the older style one-piece Whirlpool like this one?:

This one says it's 71 3/4" tall so it's even taller than the compact front-loading separate stackables that you see now in motorhomes.

This is the Whirlpool separate stackable front-load which measures exactly the same as the Splendide stackable:

Remember, you want to choose the "compact" models which are 24" wide so that the width will be the same as your current enclosure. To go to the wider models, there's just too much modification involved to make it worth the trouble. Plus, the wider ones are going to be substantially heavier.

Again, if you have enough room --33+"-- on top of your current combo unit, you may be able to fit the separate stacked unit in that enclosure whether it be a Splendide, Whirlpool, or GE. There may be other manufactures that make those separate stacked units but those three are the most prominent and they are all just about the same size. This comes from our research a year ago.

You probably should determine whether the washer/dryer will fit before you start exploring how to mount the TV.

Good luck!

-harry
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

moisture from washer/dryer

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with possible excess moisture from washers/dryers in their RV.
Arjerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-93206339.jpg
Views:	655
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	34045

I bought my 2001 diplomat this way. The original splendide washer and a GE space maker dryer was added. Both work great if you have the room.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #11

Ah, good set up, Gorlininc. True, I guess you really don't need to change out the Splendide combo if it's working okay. Just add the dryer on top. The friend that I helped purchase and install his stacked washer/dryer had a Splendide combo but it was unvented and wasn't working correctly. I have a combo and it meets our needs because we are usually in the desert and let the slightly damp washed stuff just hang overnight and it's usually just about dry in the morning.

However, it looks as if you have a GE DSKS333ECWW (click here). Even that one will be a hair over 33" tall. So again, Jerry will have to measure how much room he has on top of his current Splendide.

Once again, both units will be a hair over 33" so he will need at least 66" or 5 1/2 feet in his cabinet and probably a few inches more than that. If not, he will have to do some modification which may prove to be expensive if not a good DIYer.

-harry
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjerram View Post
I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with possible excess moisture from washers/dryers in their RV.
Sometimes the un-vented Splendide combos will give off moisture inside when on their drying cycle. And, they are also much less efficient than a vented model. That's why everybody advises to get a vented model so it's vented to the outside.

-harry
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It's nice having the 2 units. It makes finishing laundry much easier and faster.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
It's nice having the 2 units. It makes finishing laundry much easier and faster.
Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to disagree.

It's just that personally, we have no room for any stacked configuration. And as I said, in the desert, we hang stuff up damp and it's dry sometimes in a few hours. If we let things dry in the Splendide, sometimes it comes out wrinkled if we don't watch it closely.

-harry
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Interesting posts. I was curious on how you tell if the Splendide combo you have is vented or not? We have a new to us 2003 Journey 36DL and I'm still learning about it. I imagine there is an outlet vent on the side if it is vented right?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
Interesting posts. I was curious on how you tell if the Splendide combo you have is vented or not? We have a new to us 2003 Journey 36DL and I'm still learning about it. I imagine there is an outlet vent on the side if it is vented right?
YES.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I appreciate all the info. I live in colorado and as soon as it warms up a bit I will go over and measure the cabinet. The one unit stackable whirlpool is exactly what we had before. My wife really liked it. Thanks, Jerry
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Hi Kelm.

You want to make sure it's vented outside. You should see a dryer vent on the outside behind the combo. Looks like the one on your dryer at home. When you turn the dryer on you should feel the hot sir coming out there.
If you don't have a vent then its vented inside the coach. I wouldn't use it unless it vents outside.
Rick
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #19

Just to clarify the difference between Splendide's vented and ventless models, yes, the vented does vent to the outside. However, the ventless model uses what they call a "condenser drying system." They are actually two different models. You can't buy the vented model and just vent it to the inside. If you buy the vented model, you have to vent it to the outside.

Here is a description of the ventless model from their website and how it is distinguished from the vented model:

"Designed specifically for our multifamily housing customers, the new Splendide 7100XC washes laundry in the same way as our 2100XC model, but dries it using a unique condenser drying system. Effective and efficient, Splendide's ventless dryer requires no outside venting and offers the widest range of installation possibilities."

-harry
Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Humidity has to go somewhere. Even if it evaporates. A MH is to small to have that moisture inside in my opinion.