Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Earthquakes and Earths structure

My son needed a science project, many years ago, and I thought we could put the tectonic plates and oceans in perspective. Of course, it is the plates moving that cause earthquakes. I got my idea from some science trivia that said "if the Earth were the size of a billiard ball, it would be a smooth as a billiard ball".
I did some calculations on my slide rule (almost true) and figured, if the Earth were the size of a softball (about 4"), all the water on Earth would equal a squirt or two of a small atomizer. Can't be??? Let's see. Earth is 8000 mile diameter. Average 2 mile ocean depth. Oceans 1/4000 of Earth diameter and softball 4", so 2 mile deep ocean would be 1/1000 of an inch of water. Thinner than paper!!!
Same can be said about the (tectonic) earthquake plates, although somewhat larger. My analogy there was to fill your bath tub with water and float a piece of shirt cardboard on it. There are our continents . Very precarious, wouldn't you say?
Don't expect things to stay the same, if I figured right. Things change quickly in geologic time, but slow in our time. Need proof? Take a look at the state boundary, on the Mississippi River, between Memphis and New Orleans. There are many places where the huge Mississippi River has moved 10 miles or more from the original state line.
To stay on topic,we had a very large earthquake just north of Memphis in 1812 affecting the flow of the River.
Climate change, aka global warming? We should have been doomed already according to Mr. Gore, but something seems to be self correcting. Even NASA says so, but it is never reported, though it may be the most important news story today. Google "CO2 NASA Greening" or follow this link.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2016/carbon-dioxide-fertilization-greening-earth
Greening vegetation uses CO2 to produce O2 that helps to reverse the warming and allows us to breathe. Earth has Oxygen only due to plant life. Astronomers have not found it elsewhere.

Ok, crazy ranting finished.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

We should have been doomed already? Is there any real evidence to show that we are not being doomed as we sit here. Not us but our kids and grandkids? It's easy to set back and make the political arguments made by folks who have money in the game but a bit deeper thought might lead to a different idea.
I leave the large scale figures and long term predictions to those who deal with that. So we say it's all done to please Al Gore? So do we agree that every country in the world is out to please Mr. Gore,,,,except the United States? That seems kind of odd.
But some points that we can see, might better inform us.
Looking at every point in the United States and around the world we have lots of signs that take very little to see. Cranberry bogs in the NE are now being flooded after generations have used the same land. Cod fisheries in US waters are suffering serious lack of fish while a few miles North in Canadian waters, they are finding lots more of these cold water fish. Maine lobster fishermen are fighting bankrupy due to low catches. Miami Beach, Fl has spent 40 million to protect infrastructure. Satellite Beach, Fl believes:
http://www.satellitebeach.org/Reside...2007-18-10.pdf
Mobile, Al is not considered a liberal stronghold but they are looking at what they are going to do:
https://www.globalchange.gov/browse/...sing-sea-level
The old reliable Gulf Stream is slowing.
San Diego, Ca?
http://icleiusa.org/wp-content/uploa...Level-Rise.pdf
Glacier National Park is about to lose all the glaciers.
Quaking forests in the North due to the permafrost melting?
Yes, we could say it is all just a hoax and only the US is smarter than the rest of the world, or we could think that we are being lied to by the people who are in charge. Is there any evidence that those folks would consider lying?
I can see considerable evidence of that!

Got any thoughts of what your kids/grandkids will have to do?
Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Refreshing takes

It is nice to see a conversation about planetary changes that doesn't involve all the political rhetoric heaped upon us daily. The Earth has been changing since it's birth. It was incapable of supporting life in the early years and will likely be so again in the end years. We are enjoying the millions of years in between.

It always seemed to be that just the pounding of the ocean waves and the subsequent erosion caused will eventually put many beach front properties under water. As more under sea mountains form due to tectonic plate movement, more water is displaced and levels rise. Ice ages have come and gone long before man walked the Earth. All this politicizing the weather is tiresome and glad the thinkers here are more practical about dealing with it, i.e. engineer better, build better, buy better. Carry on!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Rorytug:

Agree with you fully and we are tending off topic.
I know there is warming and saw glaciers receding in Alaska, during a cruise there. The National Park Ranger told a story of a ship captain that was shocked when a frozen inlet there was completely navigable a few years later. Not sure of the exact date, but i think it was 1890. Global Warming from sailing ships!

Maybe you feel, like I do, that we have a larger problem. Too many people. If someone develops a reasonable solution, I'll vote for them. (probably the only vote they get)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Beware!

"MORICH" joined last month and has posted 149 times.
Really?
Old 12-11-2018, 02:57 AM   #26
DGRBRUV

No mention of the earthquake in Alaska on the UK BBc news... I was amazed to read it on the forum... Glad no one was hurt.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Really?
I thought that I understood the rules. Is there something somewhere that limits the number of posts or is it that you feel I might disagree? I do admit that some of my posts are not going to be the same as "everybody" but what do we learn if we only read the items we agree totally follow our thinking?
I thought the exchange of ideas was a basic part of a discussion!

But back to the subject? What I see many thinking is not the way I understand nature working. Many think the earth warming will mean only warming in a nice steady line with no major variance. Wrong! When we change one part of the equation, we should expect many things to change, not just the temperature going up but radical changes and those radical changes are the most difficult for us to adjust to in our normal life.
I think there was a question about where all the water came from in the LLano flood but some thought makes it seem natural. It doesn't take a major science degree, just some thought.
So what happens when we warm water in a pan? We get more evaporation as the water gets warmer and the same applies to all the bodies of water on the earth. That means that a storm coming in off the Pacific will have far more water vapor and when it meets the right conditions, far more rain or snow falls. Floods in Ca, Tx, La, or extreme snow in North Carolina are just a normal part of the pattern. Due to the oscillation around the North Pole, what you get one year will likely not be the same next year so that makes it much more difficult to adjust. At the same time drought becomes a much more severe fact, flooding may also become much more severe. Learning to not camp or live near water may have to be part of that adjustment or at least we need to be far more alert and aware.
It's not a question of whether we can adjust, so much as a question of whether we can adjust quickly enough.
And that may be what is driving the sudden urge by folks like Elon Musk who feel we need to get to another planet sooner rather than later?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Really?
Yes, I also smell an activist in our midst. Those are the folks who I pay the least attention to.

As far as I am concerned Global Warming began when the glaciers left my back yard after depositing huge boulders all over my property, (most are still buried but every so often we dig one up). Climate Change has been occurring constantly over time and will never stop. Just up the road from me they uncovered ancient Cyprus trees when building a road, so at one time this area was a lot warmer. I know, I know, continental drift. Yadda yadda yadda. No one knows for sure.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

As to the original posting and subject, I have two Grandchildren, two Great Grandkids, and one best friend living there.

I talk to my best friend most every evening about what's going on and it's not over even though the media has stopped covering it. He told me last night that there have been almost 2000 after shocks including one two days ago the registered a 5.0. Folks up there are not getting much sleep.

Several buildings around him have been condemned and others damaged. In their house all the dressers and chest of drawers were toppled with clothing scattered along with cracks in the drywall. He lives in Eagle River. He's still laughing, but it's wearing thin.

Their biggest fear is that a new Volcano is forming in a cauldura about 60 miles north of him, and is a result of, or maybe the cause of the earthquakes.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
... All this politicizing the weather is tiresome and glad the thinkers here are more practical about dealing with it, i.e. engineer better, build better, buy better. Carry on!
Amen, brother.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
As to the original posting and subject, I have two Grandchildren, two Great Grandkids, and one best friend living there.

I talk to my best friend most every evening about what's going on and it's not over even though the media has stopped covering it. He told me last night that there have been almost 2000 after shocks including one two days ago the registered a 5.0. Folks up there are not getting much sleep.

Several buildings around him have been condemned and others damaged. In their house all the dressers and chest of drawers were toppled with clothing scattered along with cracks in the drywall. He lives in Eagle River. He's still laughing, but it's wearing thin.

Their biggest fear is that a new Volcano is forming in a cauldura about 60 miles north of him, and is a result of, or maybe the cause of the earthquakes.
Wow, thanks for the info. I can't imagine why the news media isn't still covering what's going on in Alaska.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

They do selective coverage according to their narrative. For instance they are also not covering the continuing riots in France. They only seem to cover what they think is important for you to know about. Right now Alaska is old news.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Cooperhawk,
You are right on!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Lots of valid opinions here and all worthy of discussion, but I think what really rubs my fur the wrong way is the "I don't care" attitude prevalent among the rich and powerful. Its safe to say the "Save The Environment" movement pretty much began in the '60s with claims the we, humanity, are causing damage to the earth. Of course there were no end to the naysayers who used the same arguments then as the naysayers of now. Interestingly, as scientists started looking into the issues they saw that in many situations the environmentalists appeared to be right. Fast forward a few years some politicians and even some businesses began seeing the light and agreed to reasonable policies, laws, and regulations. Fast forward a few more years and greed begins to infect the rich and powerful in that they see the expense of following those policies, laws, and regulations as robbing the wallets of their businesses, executives, donors, stockholders, etc. of money they "needed" themselves. They set in motion a movement to install sympathetic politicians to ignore facts and positive gains, denounce obvious climate changes, roll back many of those policies, laws, and regulations, and enact law and tax changes that negatively affect the environment and directly enrich the afore-mentioned executives, donors, etc. How long will it take for that river in Toledo to catch fire again? How long before our major cities are enveloped in smog again? While this regression is happening, the rich and powerful will say "Its not my problem" and keep counting their money while the rest of us are paying for their extravagance either financially or as we struggle with environment-related issues or healthcare availability.

Ok, now that I've beaten that horse to its knees, I'll try to relate this to our love of RVs, travel, and the ability to go wherever we want whenever we want. Given the current political situation in America, its entirely conceivable that someone in power might suddenly see the RV industry as a potential cash cow or an industry that somehow needs to be restricted. As if we really need a reminder, politicians don't need a GOOD reason to do anything, just whatever they think will benefit themselves. While we might believe we may constitute a sizable voting block and able to successfully resist something like an imposition of taxes on RVs, sharp increase in fuel taxes, travel restrictions, or elimination of free camping on federal property, those in power, who very likely are not at all interested in RVing, will not care a bit about RVers, only how much wealth or power can be generated either for themselves or their benefactors. One of the biggest reasons we love our RVs is simply having the ability to see and visit all of the great places in America and elsewhere. I for one would be greatly disappointed and even angry if rollbacks of environmental policies, laws, and regulations resulted in making many of our favorite destinations unenjoyable or even uninhabitable due to deterioration of air and water quality, degraded infrastructure, or complete shutdown of facilities. I'm sure the rest of you would feel the same.

I've said more than enough, but obviously my dander is up. Some of you will at least think I'm being Chicken Little and injecting politics where it doesn't belong. I suggest if we're not careful and attentive, the lifestyle we know and love may become untenable. The rich and powerful have or will have everything they want, including more money than they can possibly spend in their lifetimes, and they don't give a damn about people like us.

Ok, I'm done. Lay it on me.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Here is a coincidence to get back on topic.

There was a 4.4 earthquake near Knoxville, Tennessee last night.
I don't have details right now.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #36
Winnebago Master

AKEAGLE you are injecting your politics into a thread about the Alaska earthquakes. Take it somewhere else if you please.

Yes, just heard about the quake near Nashville. Did you know that the largest earthquake in the US didn't occur in California, but in New Madrid, Mo. That quake rerouted the Mississippi River.

That fault line runs north to south right through Minnesota, and not far from where we live I might add.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #37
Winnebago Master

I should have said east of the Rocky Mountains. Here's a link.
BTW, WIKIPEDIA not an entirely reliable source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E...id_earthquakes
Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #38
Winnebago Master

I pay pretty close attention to everything Alaska earthquake-related and regularly check the websites that have official information on the subject: USGS, UAF, etc. This is the very first time I've heard anything about the possibility of a new volcano forming north of Eagle River. I'm going to check on this too but I think that claim is highly suspect.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
AKEAGLE you are injecting your politics into a thread about the Alaska earthquakes. Take it somewhere else if you please.
Cooperhawk:
Shortly after I made the initial post of this thread in the General section, SaraW (a site moderator) indicated she moved it to the Lifestyle section where it would be more appropriate. In post #6 I ended by saying I'd stop talking about non-RV stuff. SaraW followed up in post #8 by indicating I could talk all I want because the Lifestyle section allows and encourages open discussion. I took that as permission to add my thoughts on the potential of politicians to restrict or otherwise interfere with our beloved RV lifestyle by creating situations contrary to our current ability to enjoy it, i.e. climate change denial, infrastructure deterioration, inadequate response to natural disasters, etc. You can criticize me for being off base in my thinking or being too harsh in my assessment of the attitudes and goals of certain politicians, but I believe I have the right to express my opinions here. After having expressed my concern about a potential future of RVing in my previous post, I have no intention of further pursuing that particular subject here.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #40
Winnebago Master

Correct; the thread was moved to the Lifestyle section where we encourage open conversations about topics not necessarily RV-related. However I will caution all that political discussions are prohibited so let's try to steer away from that, please. Thanks for keeping it civil.
Closed Thread