Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Addressing two problems

I have a 2012 40U Journey. As I understand it is prewired for a rooftop antenna for Satellite TV. It also has a coax connection for sat, and cable in a rear compartment for a portable dish. I am going to purchase a Winegard Portable Ant. that will allow for two receivers to be used and play two separate programs at one time. How can I do that without rewiring or sending a coax through a window?
Second problem! The passenger side slide has developed a extremely irritating rattle. From the drivers seat it seems to be coming from the couch. My DW says it is further back. She won't drive so I cannot leave my seat to investigate. The couch has at least a million joints made of metal that may have loosened, so I wrapped towels and rags around them in an attempt to soften the noise. It did not work. Also removed any loose items in the basement and cupboards with out success. Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Need one cable for each receiver. Used the installed cable for the front receiver and install a new cable for the other one, hopefully in the back.
Check your slide out awnings they can also make a lot of noise sometimes.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
It also has a coax connection for sat, and cable in a rear compartment for a portable dish. I am going to purchase a Winegard Portable Ant. that will allow for two receivers to be used and play two separate programs at one time. How can I do that without rewiring or sending a coax through a window?
Chances are that your coach is like ours and the connection in the compartment only feeds the living room TV. As grtharris noted, you need a separate connection to each receiver. That means you'll have to find another way to feed the bedroom receiver. In my case, I got lucky. The bedroom TV is right in front of the window so I could feed that receiver through the window with a flat coax that allows the window to close. The cable is only visible from the outside. Inside, the TV hides the cable and I can feed the receiver in the closet from there.

The rooftop connection may feed both TVs. I haven't tried it on mine since I just installed the second receiver and the coach is in a garage.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The simple solution is to reconsider whether or not you really want a portable antenna in place of a Winegard roof mounted dome. Logistically, a permanent mount is much simpler and there should be at least two coax's in the prewiring. While you will have to be selective where you park in RV parks, the added height of being mounted on the roof eliminates a lot of problems with a lower mounting where a smaller tree can become a major issue. Might be worth reconsidering.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would go with the Winegard Tvlr. Push a button and you have TV in just a few minutes
Old 09-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
The simple solution is to reconsider whether or not you really want a portable antenna in place of a Winegard roof mounted dome. Logistically, a permanent mount is much simpler and there should be at least two coax's in the prewiring. While you will have to be selective where you park in RV parks, the added height of being mounted on the roof eliminates a lot of problems with a lower mounting where a smaller tree can become a major issue. Might be worth reconsidering.
Actually you will still need a portable dish unless you only go to RV parks that don't have trees and every site has a clear line of site to the southern sky.
Now as far as being able to view different things in the bedroom from the portable, yes you will have to run another cable up to the bedroom from the portable to the SAT box and yes you will require 2 SAT boxes.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Check out the wiring diagrams here

2012 Journey P40U Wiring Diagram Book
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The Aux input, as well as a run to the bedroom, are routed to the connector panels in the dvd cabinet. There is also component or hdmi runs to the bedroom & external TVs. Easy hookup.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

GOOD TIMING ON THIS POST. Just spent a weekend at a local campground that we have found has only 3 sites where a roof top antenna will get signal. Planning on getting a portable Slimline 3 since the dome will only get standard channels. While looking in the cabinet where the DVD and sat receiver go, I see the dome and exterior antenna output. Then I saw a coax not connected to anything coming out of the hole were all the cables go into the cabinet below the DVD. Any ideas what this coax is for?

As for the squeak, we found the metal racks in the microware rattle and something in the fireplace squeaks. While reading this post to my wife, she reminded me we had a squeak coming from the coach when the couch foot rest extensions were not clipped in all the way.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
Chances are that your coach is like ours and the connection in the compartment only feeds the living room TV. As grtharris noted, you need a separate connection to each receiver. That means you'll have to find another way to feed the bedroom receiver. In my case, I got lucky. The bedroom TV is right in front of the window so I could feed that receiver through the window with a flat coax that allows the window to close. The cable is only visible from the outside. Inside, the TV hides the cable and I can feed the receiver in the closet from there.

The rooftop connection may feed both TVs. I haven't tried it on mine since I just installed the second receiver and the coach is in a garage.
Flat Coax? I gotta look into that.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply's, I have someone that can drive my MH that just returned from a trip so I have hopes that I may soon find the answer to the rattle.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

PLEASE SEE MY POST from today RE the "two-room" Winegard systems. You should know what they mean by "two-room." It does not meet my definition.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wineg...ml#post1748505
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
PLEASE SEE MY POST from today RE the "two-room" Winegard systems. You should know what they mean by "two-room." It does not meet my definition.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/wineg...ml#post1748505
I believe that Direct TV has something to do with what the antenna will allow as well. Dish seems to allow for more. However I am not going to use an in motion Antenna and am expecting less. I believe I will be buying a Model GM 1518 portable. As I understand it the antenna can only see one satellite at a time and that satellite may be sending signals from more than one program at a time. If you are wanting a program that is sent from another satellite you would need a separate antenna and receiver. My biggest problem is ignorance, "MINE".
I also understand that only one of the receivers will be used to find that satellite and that receiver will be connected to line 1. Since I have not purchased it yet, my understanding may change.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Found the rattle! There was a toe kick below the drawer stack, below the stove top. It was supposed to be attached to the inside edge of the cabinet using an L bracket. The factory had not placed the bracket properly and one of the screws was never fully seated. I had to add a longer screw and that took care of the wood piece that was bouncing on the tile.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
I believe that Direct TV has something to do with what the antenna will allow as well. Dish seems to allow for more. However I am not going to use an in motion Antenna and am expecting less. I believe I will be buying a Model GM 1518 portable. As I understand it the antenna can only see one satellite at a time and that satellite may be sending signals from more than one program at a time. If you are wanting a program that is sent from another satellite you would need a separate antenna and receiver. My biggest problem is ignorance, "MINE".
I also understand that only one of the receivers will be used to find that satellite and that receiver will be connected to line 1. Since I have not purchased it yet, my understanding may change.
You are correct, the Winegard 1518 can only see one satellite at a time. Dish HD uses three satellites (110, 119 and 129) and the dish will switch automatically to the correct satellite for the channel you want to view. I have a Winegard Traveller with three separate LNBs so there is no signal delay when I change channels but if you are switching to a program on another of the satellites, there will be a delay while the 1518 dish repoints the antenna. This is controlled by the Dish Network receiver. You do not need another dish - the 1518 will do all channels on the 3 satellites when the dip switches are setup according to the instructions.
In terms of a second TV set and receiver, it will always be connected to the same satellite as the primary receiver and you will be limited by what you can receive on that satellite. You do need a second dish if this is not acceptable and you cannot receive one of the program over the air and free up the Satellite box for a show only available on satellite.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote