Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

WACKO A/C Silencer

We have a 2019 Winnie View 24D. The A/c is pretty loud when running, so we are looking at the Wacko A/C Silencer. Have read good reviews but has anyone with my model RV used this?
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a View 24G and I installed the Wacko A/C silencer and it made a HUGE difference in the noise level when running the A/C and heat pump.
The Coleman plastic air diffuser is the worst design ever.
The A/C silencer has a nice thick air filter and felt insulation to further dampen the noise from the unit. What it really does is make for a much better separation between the intake and output chambers for air flow through the A/C unit. I also made sure that there were no gaps or holes for air to escape or leak while running the unit.
So, I would recommend the silencer if you are looking to quiet down the jet engine noise from the A/C. It doesn't completely make the unit noise free but it sure does make it so you can have a conversation and listen to TV without having to raise you voice or the volume.
I give it a definite thumbs up!!
CGKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks CGK. Been looking at that mod.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #4
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

We tried it on our 2019 Sightseer 33C. It's quieter a little, however it didn't blow as hard via the ducts as the original. Now we will sell ours IF it REALLY helps other air conditioners...
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
2108DS Gray Goose

I've got a micro Minnie 2108ds and it helped tremendously in mine
gretnagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There was a post online and I can’t remember where. It outlined the following procedure. I made the change and it had been great.
In hot weather AC units can struggle. The major problem with the Coleman cover is the shape of the vertical bars on the rear of the cover. The test showed that the air speed of the exhaust doubled after the modification. You can use an anemometer to check before and after air speed as I did.
The problem is that the vertical bars on the rear are basically U shaped. When you remove the cover put it over your head and blow on the fins. They direct at least 50% of the air back at you. All you need to do is cut out the two rows of fins and replace with screen mesh. I attached it with the silver heat duct tape. It holds very securely. The screen I used was the black aluminum. Cut slightly larger than the opening about 1” on each side and tape in place.
Now put it over your head and blow again. No resistance and the airflow doubles. What I have noticed is that it is quieter because of less resistance and the AC cool better and doesn’t run as much. I’ve only been in temps up to 102 so far.
It doesn’t take very long to do. It is coming out in Trailer Life in the 10 minute tech section.
This is a modification to the exterior shroud. The Wack O unit muffles and slows the airflow. That is the last thing you want for efficiency. If you make the exterior cover modification it quiets the AC air flow noise so it also lessens it in the interior.
I would assume that the restriction from the Wack O unit could actually shorten the AC life.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote