Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Suburban Furnace Problem

Hi, I have a 2013 Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 26 HE. Up until yesterday the furnace was working perfectly. Today no furnace. There is power to the thermostat, and all breakers and fuses are good. I inspected under the outside cover and there are no bugs or nests in the intake or exhaust. The fan and motor turn by hand. I cycled it three times and each time I can hear a click and a click, but the blower doesn’t come on to clear the chamber so the burner does fire.

As a side note I did run the propane tank almost to empty, but still had enough Propane to run the fridge before I refilled the tank.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

are you getting power through the circuit breaker that's mounted probably on the fan shroud?
Koja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Koja, I have pulled the outer cover twice and looked for an overload breaker on the fan shroud, but there doesn’t seem to be one. It could be I just don’t recognize it when I see it. Are you familiar with what it looks like, and it’s location like top bottom side etcetera.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Team

Try running the burners on the stove and the water heater on propane for a few minutes to insure adequate propane flow to your appliances. The furnace just might be last in line for getting fuel.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi counterpart, I ran both the stove, refrigerator and water heater. I don’t think propane is the issue. It seems to be the fan motor not going into purge cycle. Koja talked about an overload breaker on the fan shroud but I just don’t see one.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Maybe need some more info on the click as that depends on what is clicking. Not the small click from the thermostat but a click at the furnace itself?
I go at this with help from the wife to let me go to the outside to feel the solenoid, etc. to feel what might be clicking as she turns the thermostat on/off. I'm not sure what the click would be as the gas solenoid should not be clicking open until there is air moving. Then I would have to go to a meter and search out if the power is getting to the fan to start.
If you have the model number of the furnace, there seems to be what looks like a pretty good flow chart for troubleshooting the Suburban online here:
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Suburban_Service_Manual.pdf
Likely this is not the correct one due to being the wrong model but with the model number one might find a good deal of help???
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Site Team

I suppose you checked the 12v fuse in the body load center under the stove? I looked in the WBGO wiring diagrams and see it there:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.20.22 AM.png
Views:	179
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	170593  
Old 11-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #8
Site Team

Looking at the diagram for the furnace I see no other fuse on the unit:

FURNACE 139980-02-000

Use Windows IE and install Cortina 2D browser extension to see parts diagram

This is for the 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.40.43 AM.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	170594  
Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

And there are actually times when a shotgun is handy! One way to save time reading manuals and diagrams it to think of what the most common problem might be and go for the simple stuff first. Rv's are kind of a hostile place and corrosion on connections is pretty common compared to actual breakdowns of motors, etc. so it may be handy to just pull some of the snap-on connectors off and on a few times to wear any corrosion off the contacts. As long as one uses a little finesse and doesn't break something it can be a real quickie way to troubleshoot.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I have checked all fuses and they are good. Morich sent me the link to the service manual and it is the correct manual. There is a relay in the trouble shooting section that may be the problem. There is also the possibility that by letting my propane tank get almost empty that the low pressure caused a pressure fluctuation that put the furnace in lockout mode. However, the manual does address how to get it out of lockout mode.

I attempted to get it to start this morning and I can here the thermostat click, and after reading the troubleshooting section I know know the second click I am hearing is the relay supplying power to the circuit board. Then nothing happens. This may mean that the next relay may not be activating that powers the blower fan. I am now going to look up how to undo a lockout to see if that fixed it as I don’t have a way to test the relays.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

How's your voltage to the furnace? They're pretty forgiving and will run on less than 12V but it should be in the neighborhood. If you've been running the furnace without shore power for a length of time this could be the problem. I'd also get some propane too- you'll have to get it eventually....
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Problem solved

The problem with my furnace was as I expected. I had a bad relay. The last relay in a set of three was bad. It’s the 7 second delay relay that starts the blower before ignition. That relay is an integral part of the circuit board so I had to replace the circuit board at a price of $158.00. Furnace is back to normal. Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

For the record, we had a similar problem on our 2014 Sunstar last month. The furnace worked in the driveway, but failed a few days later at the North Rim at 36°. I tried to fix it there, but didn't have a manual with me. We got by for the rest of the trip with a space heater and the generator in the mornings.

Back home, I pulled the module out and at the same time pulled off one of the quick disconnetc for a power wire. It was poorly soldered from the factory. I resoldered it and reinstalled the module and it works fine now.

As this is the third or fourth module I've replaced in a Suburban furnace over the last 30 years, I bought a spare to carry with us. I woulda paid $200 cash for one in that campground.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks,

I should check and see which one my furnace needs and carry one the same as my spare water pump.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with the front AC on my 2015 Vista 35F while in California. The shop tried swapping the rear thermostat to the mount for the front thermostat and it worked so he ordered a new thermostat to replace the front one and that solved the problem. He got it overnighted from Winnebago and I was on my way back to Georgia within 2 days.
kcgrant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
Thanks,

I should check and see which one my furnace needs and carry one the same as my spare water pump.

FWIW, I got the Dinosaur Electronics FAN50PLUS Universal Igniter Board with Fan Control from Amazon for about $95.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Furnace problem

Had a similar problem on my Itasca. It was the thermostat.
elcriollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace