Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Residential fridge question when travelling

How do you operate your residential fridge when travelling? Is it running? What do you do if you layover for the night without hookups?

Never had one before in a coach until now.

Thanks for the feedback.
Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Runs 24/7 on inverter. My coach has 6 agm batteries so no need to run generator or have shore power over night. Batteries are charged while driving from running engine.
Cpines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Corncob,
tell us a bit about your rv (update your signature line in User CP)
so our answers can be a bit more focused...

is it a TT, a 5'er, a Class A,B,C ??? and which model ?

good luck !
Old 09-28-2016, 05:34 AM   #4

Depends on how the one was installed in your coach. The most convenient installation is where the fridge is plugged into a receptacle that is powered from a factory built-in PSW inverter.

The inverter will supply 120 VAC power, either MSW or PSW depending on the type and model of your specific inverter. PSW is better than MSW.

The inverter will also have a 120 VAC bypass mode which means that it goes to sleep when either you have the generator running or are hooked to shore power.

When your engine is running it will be charging your chassis batteries BUT it may NOT be charging your house batteries so you have to make sure that your coach has a dual charging system or add one such as the 5 amp Trik-L-Start or the 15 amp Amp-L-Start unit.

Some people have installed their residential so it runs ONLY from a stand-alone inverter. This means that it will run ALL the time using your house batteries and the dedicated inverter unless they have also installed a 120 VAC bypass for the times that the generator is running or when you are hooked to shore power or the stand-alone dedicated inverter has an internal 120 VAC bypass built into it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
...Some people have installed their residential so it runs ONLY from a stand-alone inverter. This means that it will run ALL the time using your house batteries and the dedicated inverter...
Always "on," never turn it off. Batteries charge from solar and/or alternator.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

When your engine is running it will be charging your chassis batteries BUT it may NOT be charging your house batteries so you have to make sure that your coach has a dual charging system or add one such as the 5 amp Trik-L-Start or the 15 amp Amp-L-Start unit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
All of today's MHs charge the house batteries from the chassis system. If it dont, something is wrong.

The Trk L Start and Amp L Start units are designed to maintain the chassis ( start ) battery, while the converter or inverter is charging the house batteries.

If used the other way, at 15 amps, the chassis system would hardly keep up with the house loads.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

All of today's MHs charge the house batteries from the chassis system. If it don't, something is wrong.

The Trik L Start and Amp L Start units are designed to maintain the chassis ( start ) battery, while the converter or inverter is charging the house batteries.
Yikes, you are right about the Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start solely for keeping the chassis battery charged while on 120 VAC power. I lost my head for a second.

However, not ALL MH's will charge the house batteries from the alternator. Alternators are designed to keep the chassis battery fully charged when the engine is running.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yikes, you are right about the Trik-L-Start and Amp-L-Start solely for keeping the chassis battery charged while on 120 VAC power. I lost my head for a second.

However, not ALL MH's will charge the house batteries from the alternator. Alternators are designed to keep the chassis battery fully charged when the engine is running.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Motorhome chassis are built with heavy duty, high output alternators for the added battery capacity the coach builder installs.

The IRDs and BIRDs have cutouts and delays to protect the alternator from over working.

The isolation solenoid is rated for 150 amps or more. Even the old diode isolators are rated in the 100+ amp range.

I have yet to hear of one brand of MH that doesn't charge the house from the engine.

Doesn't yours ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy

Quote:
Motorhome chassis are built with heavy duty, high output alternators for the added battery capacity the coach builder installs.

The IRDs and BIRDs have cutouts and delays to protect the alternator from over working.

The isolation solenoid is rated for 150 amps or more. Even the old diode isolators are rated in the 100+ amp range.

I have yet to hear of one brand of MH that doesn't charge the house from the engine.

Doesn't yours ?
My friends Tiffin Allegro Bus doesn't. We installed a module (bird) to correct a poor design (in my opinion). I made him call tiffin to verify it just wasn't broken, it wasn't, just not equipped. Yea, the face you are making right now...thats the same face I made....HUH!?!?!. My HR and my old Coachmen both did from the factory.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:

Doesn't yours ?
My Monaco Windsor Coach has a sophisticated charging system that will keep ALL batteries charged whether it is from the engine alternator, generator, shore power or solar panels on the roof.

But again I will say that not ALL motor-homes will have a charging system that will charge the house batteries from the alternator.

Never say never!

Another person once told me that "not one size fits all".

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
How do you operate your residential fridge when travelling? Is it running? What do you do if you layover for the night without hookups?

Never had one before in a coach until now.

Thanks for the feedback.
There is a lot of different info being tossed about here.

We have a new Winnebago Forza with a residential refrigerator and haven't had an issue.

We just have to make sure our inverter is turned on. The control is on the control center on the wall.

Our house battery bank which the inverter draws power from is a bank of 4 12v batteries.

We have never had an issue when traveling or laying over keeping the refrigerator powered

We also have our generator auto start feature set to come on in case the the batteries run low.

Not knowing what model you have it is hard to be more specific.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, travel