Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Residential Fridge for a 2005 Vectra 40AD

We are looking to change our Norcold 1201 out for a residential fridge sometime in the future. Since the fridge is on the curbside slide it doesn't look like the Samsung 197, that a lot of people use, will fit due to height. Has anyone changed out their Norcold for a residential fridge and if so, what did you select? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

The Samsung 197 should not require and changes to the depth or width however, it will need a minimum of 70 inches for height.

I know of others who have installed these into slides but each chassis and coach are different.

You need to do some serious measuring before looking at what will and will not fit.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Because there is a large crown molding above the Norcold, I believe we would have to cut into that to get the 70 inches required for the Samsung. So I would really like to hear from someone with the same style Vectra to see what residential fridge they have used. The Samsung would fit for width and depth.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Bill,

Contact HD4Mark. He installed a Samsung RF217 model in his Vectra 40KD. It's a different floor-plan but he may have some great advice for you.

He put the RF217 in by mistake as he thought he had ordered the RF197. The 217 is actually 2 inches deeper.

When I saw his installation, I remember that he had to compensate for the curved ceiling so the fridge would not slide back the entire distance that he had accounted for in his installation. But he got it in and looks and runs great.

He is a frequent poster on the forum.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to John Canfield's install in his 2005 40AD including lots of detailed info and pics: Goodbye Norcold, hello Frigidaire

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ditto on John Canfield's install of the Frigidaire. I replaced the 4 door Norcold in my 2002 Journey with the same 18.2 cu. ft. Frigidaire. You only need to gain about 1 1/2" of height.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to cbeierl and smlranger, this info was exactly what I was looking for! John's Horizon is the same layout as our so I know the Fridigdare will fit. The info was great!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE View Post
Thanks to cbeierl and smlranger, this info was exactly what I was looking for! John's Horizon is the same layout as our so I know the Fridigdare will fit. The info was great!
Lowe's puts that fridge on sale often and will throw in the ice maker for 'free.'. Also, they will deliver it free, at least in my area.

You will love that fridge. We have a 22 cu.ft. Amana side by side in our current coach and we could more easily store more stuff in the top freezer Frigidaire. The DW wishes she had it in this coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Lowe's puts that fridge on sale often and will throw in the ice maker for 'free.'. Also, they will deliver it free, at least in my area.

You will love that fridge. We have a 22 cu.ft. Amana side by side in our current coach and we could more easily store more stuff in the top freezer Frigidaire. The DW wishes she had it in this coach.
smlranger, Did you change your inverter to a pure sine wave when you had the Frigidaire installed in your Journey?

Thanks, Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
smlranger, Did you change your inverter to a pure sine wave when you had the Frigidaire installed in your Journey?

Thanks, Sammie
Yes I replaced the 1500 W MSW Xantrex with a 2000 W PSW from Magnum Energy. The fridge ran on the MSW but Frigidaire (Electrolux) recommended PSW to ensure maximum component life.

Tags
fridge