Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing my stove with one that has an oven

We are shopping for an RV and one thing that my DW points out is that our current MH does not have a "real" oven. We have the typical gas 3 burner stove with a convection/microwave oven over top. She would like a stove/oven combo, oven under.

Have any of you added this type of unit to your coach after you bought it? We are shopping used and it is very hard to find one with the combo stove/oven in it with the other features we are looking for. I found one in the 30 or so Class A units that I have viewed online and the coach had the wrong floorplan and was too small.

Help...
pequeajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Try contacting some of the RV Renovation companies for a used unit. We went the opposite way and had our oven removed, drawers added with a new 3 burner cooktop. The shop doing the Reno likely had a bunch of used. Or a new unit if you prefer.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest to investigate the cost to add. If your must have list includes I think you will eliminate many otherwise excellent purchase candidates.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I would suggest to investigate the cost to add. If your must have list includes I think you will eliminate many otherwise excellent purchase candidates.
My point exactly. I really could do without the separate oven, but my DW is pushing for the oven. I told her that ovens in a coach have declined in popularity and it would be hard to find one on a newer coach along with the nice features that we want.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I made that conversion on a 32 ft. Itasca Windcruiser that I used to own. Pretty simple. I lost a couple of drawers, if I remember right, but the stovetop and oven fit right in. I actually got the unit free from a guy whose wife wanted to upgrade to a larger oven.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That's what I'm talking about. I can put it in. I just need to get one.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Our old couch had the stove oven combo. I really thought I wanted the oven but found I didn't like using it much. The main reason is every time you want to use the oven you have to get on your hands and knees and stick your head in the oven to light the pilot light. It just wasn't worth it the microwave / convection oven did everything I want to do.

Just please make sure your wife knows about the pilot light before you modify the couch. It's possible that a newer oven will keep the pilot light lit but on our 2000 model it didn't.

Tracy
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Ovens are a disappointment I'm performance and heat up the coach in summer
Hgrace56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Amazing, I have never seen a couch with an oven LOL
Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Amazing, I have never seen a couch with an oven LOL
Our Horizon came from the factory with a microwave/convection oven, 3 burner gas counter top stove and a oven under the stove top. MY DW does not use it a lot. She prefers the microwave/convection.

She has trouble kneeling down to light it. She did say if I would help her light it she would use it more.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Good points Don. I think the only reason that my DW wants the oven is for when we go on church camp outs, we can warm up pot luck dishes that we have brought. I'm not sure she would use it for anything else. We either grill or go out too much. 😁
Old 06-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We ordered our coach with an oven. The DW never uses the oven as an oven only for storing pots and pans. She finds that the convection microwave works great.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I put a portable Toaster oven in and it takes care of anything I want to do. My convection/microwave is to loud. Toaster oven is quite and much cheaper then a RV oven install.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I forgot about the hassle of lighting the pilot all the time. I do remember though, that once you lit it, you could just keep it on for your entire vacation/use and then only shut it down when you were not using the motorhome anymore. And like another fellow said, the drawers that you lose from installing the oven are partly made up from being able to store pots & pans in the oven.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Our Horizon came from the factory with a microwave/convection oven, 3 burner gas counter top stove and a oven under the stove top. MY DW does not use it a lot. She prefers the microwave/convection.

She has trouble kneeling down to light it. She did say if I would help her light it she would use it more.

Don
We found that by lifting the bottom plate in the oven out, we had great access to the pilot.
The plate in ours was designed to be removed for cleaning, I don't know if they are all like that but I know many are.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Our suncruiser has an oven/stovetop. My wife uses it all the time when camping. When we started looking for a new motorhome my wife was adamant about having a gas oven. None of the larger modern motorhomes we looked at had a gas oven. I promised to add the oven is we found a coach that met all of our other needs.

We found the Adventurer 38j. No gas oven. For our first outing (2 weeks of rv park camping) i picked up a couple things that needed to be cooked in an oven. Biscuits was one of those things. My wife used the convection oven/microwave. The biscuits came out perfect, even better than they normally come out in the gas oven of the suncruiser. Within 3 days my wife has decided that the gas oven is not as necessary as she first thought. She loves the 3 big drawers. She was surprised how well the convection oven/microwave actually works.

At this point i no longer have to shop for and install a gas oven. This may change if my wife decides to change her mind. Hahaha
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

On our 2011 Vista we had the oven as well as the microwave convection combo and once we learned how to cook with the convection oven we never used the regular oven again. Plus I like a quiet ride going down the road and the squeaks drove me crazy. So when we ordered our 2017 Sightseer we dropped the standard oven. Love it!
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I've had two RVs with useless ovens. They are great for heating up the RV especially in the summer. The last two have a gas cook top and a counter top convection/toaster oven plus a built in microwave/convection oven. We don't bake bread, cakes, etc. but between the two it does all we need.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

One thing I forgot to add...our present motorhome has a micro/convection oven that has not worked that well. I replaced it with a new one that I ordered off Ebay last Summer. It worked on Micro but not convection. My wife was (complaining) that she wanted a regular oven. I found the problem this winter while the coach was in storage. The inside had been damaged in shipping and the fan was jammed by a dent in the inside of the oven. I pried it loose and walla! the oven works and the wife is happy!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Breville Oven

I am a huge baker and our Itasca Suncruiser doesn't have an oven. We looked at removing the 3 burner cooktop and 2 drawers and installing a unit with an oven. Instead, I did my research and bought a Breville oven that I can use on the countertop, take outside and use or on the house for holiday overflow. You can use up to a 9x13 baking pan and Buddy Pans and the quality is super! They sell them at Williams Sonoma, Sue La Table but I bought mine on sale on QVC. I highly recommend the Breville. They have a new larger size but mine is just right.
Artcie is offline   Reply With Quote