Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We had our coach off shore power with the house batteries switched off for the last few weeks. Went into it yesterday to power everything up to get ready for our next outing and the refrigerator is not coming on.

When I press the on/off button, I can hear a click like a solenoid engaging. When you put you ear up to the outside panel, it sounds like something is working, but I get not panel lights or light when I open the refrigerator door.

I checked the 110 and 12 volt fuses and none are tripped.

Any suggestions before I take a trip to the dealer?
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We had our coach off shore power with the house batteries switched off for the last few weeks. Went into it yesterday to power everything up to get ready for our next outing and the refrigerator is not coming on.

When I press the on/off button, I can hear a click like a solenoid engaging. When you put you ear up to the outside panel, it sounds like something is working, but I get not panel lights or light when I open the refrigerator door.

I checked the 110 and 12 volt fuses and none are tripped.

Any suggestions before I take a trip to the dealer?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Try it on propane.

It might take a few tries for the propane to light. I always turn on the stove burners for a few minutes to get the air out of the tubing and the propane flowing.

Also, you might want to check the bulb inside the fridge to see if it is good.

Are your batteries dead? Try the generator and get it going then try the fridge.

Good Luck! These things can be frustrating, epecially when getting ready for a trip.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Can not get it to switch to propane because there is no power to the control panel.

Tried it on shore power and generator power, same results, looks to me like no 12 VDC power.

Everything else in the coach is working.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are two fuses on the control board - a glass fuse and a blade-type fuse. Did you check both?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

John, just a quick aside....my Dometic "Side-Wise" (NDA1420) is in the process of having it's cooling unit replaced....I know I had posted in "your" earlier topic..

Coach is at dealer,the cooling unit not scheduled to arrive from Dometic until Friday.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good grief Bob - already a new cooling unit!?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

John, as this affects Winnebago owners as well, while my refrigerator is a Dometic, my friend Jeff recently bought an '06 Mountain Aire DP and is currently in Sturgis,SD with a Norcold refrigerator on the fritz...

We learned yesterday that there is a "soft recall" on certain Norcold models as there is a known problem....I was told that Norcold is not issuing a recall, but is sending a "fix kit" if the dealer requests it....
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

John, were is the control board located, and how do you get to it? I ask this question as I am sure some day I will need to know. I have a 4 door Norcold.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ptribbey, If you know the model number of your fridge (and you probably do) go to this site, then to the service documents section. Scroll down the page and find your make and model number for the fridge. You will find the complete service manual there for you to download. They are all in adobe format. Great resource site.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Rebelsbeach. Can you give more information on the Norcold "soft recall".
heavyequiptmentmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well, did not know about the fuses on the control board. The limited diagram and troubleshooting in the operators manual that comes with the coaches did not talk about these fuses.

I talked to our local dealer about the problem and then dropped it off this evening. I wish they would have mentioned the fuses so I could have checked them before driving the 30 miles to the dealer.

Will also ask about this recall when I go pick it up. Our local dealer is pretty good about getting things repaired in a timely manner. Not like the last one we dealt with where you have to make an appointment a month out just to learn when you came in for it, they would not even look at the coach for another week or more.

Will post the results when I get the coach back.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heavyequiptmentmover:
Rebelsbeach. Can you give more information on the Norcold "soft recall". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

heavyequipmentmover, Welcome to the forum!!!

I only know what I heard the service manager tell my buddy and that was that Norcold knows there's an issue with this refrigerator but is only "fixing" it apparently AFTER it quits...
I distinctly heard the service manager mention that once my buddyo got to Sturgis, they'd send this "kit" to the dealer....

Better check with a dealer that services Norcold...
Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Outbumn

Wondering if you found out what was wrong with your fridge? We are having the same problem with ours.
Thanks
cindymg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

cindymg, Welcome to the forum!!

We're glad you came along and hope you find an answer to your question!!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hello Again,

Picked up the coach from the dealer this afternoon. They said the main control board in the refrigerator shorted out. He also said he has seen a lot of refrigerator problems so far this year. I asked him about the recall mentioned in this tread, and he said he heard about one for older Norcold models, but not for newer models.

On another note, I would just like to brag on this Itasca dealer, Safford RV in Thornburg Va. We did not buy our coach from them, but we use them for service. They have been GREAT!!! I called them about this problem Tuesday afternoon, dropped it off Tuesday evening, and got the call that it was fixed and ready for pickup Friday afternoon. On some of the other repairs we have had them do, they have always had the coach done many days before their estimated return date.

I would HIGHLY recommend them.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Here we go again,
While packing the refrigerator for our annual trip to GNR, the wife noticed the inside light was not on. Looked at the control panel and its blank.

Checked the AC power and it was good, checked the AC and DC fuses and they are good.

We are off to Forest City using cooler and hoping we can get a service appointment and get this fixed once we get there.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear about your recurring problems. I noted in one of your earlier posts you were disappointed in the information in your manual. Give this Bryant Rv web site a try. On the left side of the page, navigate to "service documents", scroll down the page to see if you can find the make and model number of your frige. From there you can download the complete service manual for your model. Hope this helps a bit.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I did down load the manual and that is what I used to find and check the fuses. We are siting ing the KOA in Indy tonight on our way to GNR. We put our small Refrig from out basement in the coach and are using it to keep all our food. The only problem is we need to run the generator to keep 110 power to it. Another observation today. The freezer part of the refrig is operating on propane and the ice maker is making ice. The lower part of the frig is not working and the control panel is still blank.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I had same problems with Norcold refrigerator - mine was an N611. I have an Itasca Sunova 2007. Took the rig in twice to have the refrigerator repaired. The service technician said the refrigerator needed a new control board (circuit board) and replaced it. That worked for a day. I saw a couple of items on this message board that suggested the problem might be the converter instead, but technician said no. On my third visit to the service dept of a local RV place, and after letters to both Winnebago and Norcold, they found the problem: the converter - not the refrigerator at all.

To its credit, and to my amazement, Norcold sent a technician to meet me at the service dept. The Norcold tech showed the local service tech how to isolate the converter and just test that with the refrig. Voila - that was the only time the refrig had problems. Winnebago replaced that converter (I got the impression that there have been continuing problems with that converter, because they replaced with a different model.) But here is the amazing thing. Norcold replaced the refriegerator anyway, because they said the smell was really awful, and we shouldn't have that in a new (relatively) RV. Talk about customer service! I was surprised, pleased, and amazed!
mccrorc is offline   Reply With Quote