Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Refrigerator Problems

My refrigerator would not start on LP this morning, works OK on AC. While on vacation and operating on LP the refrigerator stopped once, but restarted after turning off and back on.

The LP tank shows 1/2 full from the tank gauge, but on the inside monitor the yellow light is on. Range and hot water heater works OK on LP.

Any ideas on what to check or look for?

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Check all the connections at the circuit board for corrosion.
The ignitor gap might need adjusting, I think its supposed to be 1/32 ", or the porcelain on it might be cracked , in that case is needs replacing.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Itasca Meridian 36G

Check the flame tube and chimney. Corrosion, rust, dust, bugs can impede the gas and flame path. Also check connections. I found my connectors sitting on the drip pan on wAter. I had to replace them and cut out some corroded wire last year.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had the same thing happen with our fridge. Still sparked but would not light and would show a fail on LP. Turned out there was a very small crack in the ceramic on the igniter. I replaced it and all is well in fridge land now. Will your fridge pilot light with assistance of BBQ lighter? Cheap part to replace!
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

if it sparks, but does not lite, take the flame sensor out and clean with a very fine sandpaper. even if it looks OK buff it up a little and try it again.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

have any luck yet? if not let us know what you tried so far. or if you fixed it let us know what the fix was.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I haven't done any more checks since the refrigerator started working. Looks like the problem is going to be one of those intermittent problems. Will update later.

Thanks for all of the help,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Replaced Leaking hose gasket at Ice maker solenoid, Plugged the coach back in to shore power, turned main switch on and 12vdc switch on DashBoard (same SOP for past 6 years) A/C and Micro work fine. Fridge is wont power up.. confused

Also: what do you use to remove the Black residue around Refrigerator Vent on side of coach?
xl guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl guy View Post
Replaced Leaking hose gasket at Ice maker solenoid, Plugged the coach back in to shore power, turned main switch on and 12vdc switch on DashBoard (same SOP for past 6 years) A/C and Micro work fine. Fridge is wont power up.. confused

Also: what do you use to remove the Black residue around Refrigerator Vent on side of coach?
what kinda fridge?
it will help if you can update your signature file with more info about your rv.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator wont come

06 Journey 36G (Diesel Pusher)
04 Wrangler X
xl guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Ron, check the flame burner tip for corrosion and rust could be partially plugged which means it will be cooling sometimes but not maintaining operating temp , also very important to have frig as level as you can get it, and check door seals do the dollar bill test to be sure there are no cracked or curled places in the door seals ,if so replace seals an easy fix, remember absorption units recover very slow from a problem to getting back to operating temps , one other tip I defrost mine once every two months for 12 hours for better efficiently .

Good luck,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Air in the LP line to the fridge will cause the fridge to lock out running on LP. Whenever I have a fridge lockout, the first thing I do is run the stove for a few minutes to purge the air. I have this usually if the fridge sits for a while or sometimes after a fill on the propane tank. I observe a similar issue on the water heater.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator