Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Refrigerator on an angle

On our Adventurer, our refrig seems to not want to work on an angle.

We park on our driveway and its a bit of an angle - pointing the rear end down. I installed 30 amp service so that we could cool down the refrig conveniently just before a trip. Doesn't seem to want to do this - not even with LP.

What's the problem?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Use your leveling jacks.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Fridge always needs to be level to operate properly!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary54 View Post
Use your leveling jacks.
Can't. That would result in lifting the rear wheels off the ground.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Fridge always needs to be level to operate properly!
That's what I'd thought for the LP flow (or no flow). But I'd though It'd be different if running on electricity.

Does it have to do with the Freon for cooling in the frig?
Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Can't. That would result in lifting the rear wheels off the ground.
Turn the coach around
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Turn the coach around
And put enought 2x6 boards under the front to be close to level,(a mini level on the kitchen counter or in the fridge will help or open the bathroom door and if it opens about 45 degrees your good to go) then set the emergency brake and chock the rear wheels. The fridge has to be within 3-6 degrees front to back and side to side. If not on electric or lp, you will be probably buying a new fridge. Also if you don't know, allow 18-24hrs for the fridge/freezer to properly cool down.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Your RV refrigerator doesn't use Freon. It is an absortion unit that uses a combination of chemicals including Ammonia that cools by absorbing heat from the cooling fins inside the refrigerator. Whether on LP or Electric, the system requires heat to get the chemicals moving. These refrigerators are quite sensitive to being off level. If they are run off level they can develop a blockage and stop working.

Sounds to me thhat you need to come up with a way to level your coach or you could damage your refrigerator.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

OK. It appears that I will NOT be running our refrig on our driveway.

Actually... I can use this as more ammunition to convince my DW that we need to move to a larger home with level ground and more room for my toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Since we live in West Virginia, it's obligatory that we live on a hill. Leveling with blocks/jacks simply was not an option. We're not forced to store our rig elsewhere, so I decided to make a spot for the fiver.

I dug into the side of the hill...

I dug it extra deep and had five loads of shale brought in. It was then compacted with a vibrating roller.

Here's a test-fit of the fiver.

The bed rails of the truck actually touched the underside of the fiver, so the fifth load of shale was used where the truck's front tires are. The "Pit" has 7" of drop in elevation, to allow for drainage. We're also having a metal building put up, this coming Tuesday, that is 26' wide and 40' long. It will be large enough to hold the fiver and a boat & trailer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

The owners manual for the frig tells you the limits for front to rear and side to side limits for unlevel.

Ken
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #12

You do not want to run the fridge out of level. If it won't cool when you do, you all ready have a partial blockage. These blockages are or will be permanent. When we bought our first moho, I learned this esson the hard way, it cost me 2 grand for a new cooling unit for a side by side dometic!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
You do not want to run the fridge out of level. If it won't cool when you do, you all ready have a partial blockage. These blockages are or will be permanent. When we bought our first moho, I learned this esson the hard way, it cost me 2 grand for a new cooling unit for a side by side dometic!
We've been EXTREEEEEEEEEMLY lucky!!! It would never turn on while at an angle. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
We're also having a metal building put up, this coming Tuesday, that is 26' wide and 40' long. It will be large enough to hold the fiver and a boat & trailer.
The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys and the garages that fit them.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

In our 5th wheel the frig was a Dometic and the manual said as long as the 5th wheel was comfortable and appeared to be level it was OK but the manual in the Norcold says it must be level????
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #16

Damage

When you're not level there will either be too much liquid in the boiler vessel or not enough.

Too much will not permanantly damage the cooler, too little will because the liquid evaporates too quickly and forms crystals.

It all depends upon which end of the refer is high.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That's what I'd thought for the LP flow (or no flow). But I'd though It'd be different if running on electricity.

Does it have to do with the Freon for cooling in the frig?
check this resource for absorption system cooling info.

Cooling Unit (How it works)
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
On our Adventurer, our refrig seems to not want to work on an angle.

We park on our driveway and its a bit of an angle - pointing the rear end down. I installed 30 amp service so that we could cool down the refrig conveniently just before a trip. Doesn't seem to want to do this - not even with LP.

What's the problem?
You need to do this:

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Buy a few reusable cooler packs (aka blue ice) and keep them in your freezer at home. When you are loading up the RV toss them in your fridge on the top shelves....will help cool it down until the fridge's cooling unit takes over. A battery powered fridge fan will help in circulating the cool air
rocknrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #20

That and

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrun View Post
Buy a few reusable cooler packs (aka blue ice) and keep them in your freezer at home. When you are loading up the RV toss them in your fridge on the top shelves....will help cool it down until the fridge's cooling unit takes over. A battery powered fridge fan will help in circulating the cool air
Great idea!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator