Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our Norcold 1200 series 4 door fridge had a hard time keeping temperatures cool and consistent in our new 2008 Tour. We had the rig looked at by Winnebago during the GNR and they found a problem with the fans in the back and fixed it. I thought we were home free, but it turned out we still had a problem.

Last week, we had the chance to drop by Forest City again and they took another look at it. This time, they made a simple baffle out of sheet metal that forces air to move more directly over the heating coils. This simple baffle seems to have done the trick! The temperatures inside the fridge is now consistently in the mid 30's and hardly fluctuates at all. Works great!

If you are having similar issues, you might give this a try. I took a couple photos of the baffle, but for some reason, I cannot link them to this note. Here is the galley link to see them. Fridge Baffle Pictures :

Hope this helps.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our Norcold 1200 series 4 door fridge had a hard time keeping temperatures cool and consistent in our new 2008 Tour. We had the rig looked at by Winnebago during the GNR and they found a problem with the fans in the back and fixed it. I thought we were home free, but it turned out we still had a problem.

Last week, we had the chance to drop by Forest City again and they took another look at it. This time, they made a simple baffle out of sheet metal that forces air to move more directly over the heating coils. This simple baffle seems to have done the trick! The temperatures inside the fridge is now consistently in the mid 30's and hardly fluctuates at all. Works great!

If you are having similar issues, you might give this a try. I took a couple photos of the baffle, but for some reason, I cannot link them to this note. Here is the galley link to see them. Fridge Baffle Pictures :

Hope this helps.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Or posting them here would be much better..

Was this left out of your coach or a new factory mod? I have to go back and look at the cavity when the unit was pulled, but I think there was something as you describe attached to the wall.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I didn't find the photos of the baffle. Is it on your blog and if so what month did you post it under. Thanks for the info
fotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I couldn't find it either. Mine is new but it might be a good idea to be proactive on this one
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Click on PHOTOS at the top of this page and you will see his pictures in the "recent posted".
Frank O.
BTW -- I don't think this is a standard install, it looks more like a DIY fix.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I am very surprised Winnie needed to add some baffling. Norcold is very specific and detailed about ventilation requirements since it is so critical to the proper and efficient operating of the fridge.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

RV RICK's pictures.....

Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Speaking of baffles, here is a picture of a baffle supplied by Norcold in case your frige doesn't stay cold on propane while traveling.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Many thanks to Gary for linking these for me. I am not sure what I missed when doing it.

I agree -- this looks like a DIY job (but Winnebago did it). However, the effectiveness is unquestioned -- this works like a champ. Today, the temp is about 90 and the fridge actually started to freeze stuff (I had the temp control at 7), so turned it up a bit. That is the first time I have ever had to turn the temp UP and now have a great 35 degrees on temp setting 4. WOW -- cold beverages tonight

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rv rick:
Many thanks to Gary for linking these for me. I am not sure what I missed when doing it.

I agree -- this looks like a DIY job (but Winnebago did it). However, the effectiveness is unquestioned -- this works like a champ. Today, the temp is about 90 and the fridge actually started to freeze stuff (I had the temp control at 7), so turned it up a bit. That is the first time I have ever had to turn the temp UP and now have a great 35 degrees on temp setting 4. WOW -- cold beverages tonight </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RV Rick,
Is this accessed via the outside cover panel?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the baffle appears to be mounted from the outside panel. I believe they cut the parts to fit and pieced them together through the bottom access panel. You can see the top of the access opening in the pictures -- the baffles are about 2 to 3" above the top of the panel opening.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 09-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Here is what I think they might be trying to replicate in yours:

Here is a pic of the back of the fridge. Notice the indentation on the exhaust chamber where the baffle snugs up against it?

Maybe it was left out, or this is a TURBO mod..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Great pictures of the fridge! I see exactly what you are pointing out and I bet this is what my baffle is duplicating. I continue to be amazed at the improvement in cooling from this simple addition.

Thanks!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 09-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
It almost looks like they are using the baffle to hold/disperse heat from the lower area out through the lower access panel vent...glad it's helping, I'll be looking into this modification.

Mine is in a kitchen slide, so it has to vent from the two side access panels only...high ambient temps. do cause fridge temp. issues.

I've also noticed that you get better cooling in the fridge area if you do NOT run the setting to 9 when outside temps are high, use 5 or 6, sometimes 7...my theory is that the fridge working at the highest setting in high heat actually creates more heat than it can dispel with the fans causing the unit to actually NOT cool as well inside the fridge...my fridge temps seem to confirm this.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I should have clarified -- on our Tour, the fridge is in the driver's side slide out and I agree, this makes effective cooling much more difficult. I tried several different things, including a small fan blowing up from the bottom on the coils. This helped, but not nearly as much as the baffle.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

rv rick...
Glad your fridge is cooling as it's supposed to. Nice that you are pleased with the 'Bago factory service.

However... It appears, as others have mentioned, that the 'fix' applied to your fridge vent system masks the real problem, i.e. why was the intalled vent system not working in the first place. What did 'Bago do to the fans the first time the problem was worked on (you said at the GNR)?

Obviously there should be air flow coming out the top vent even without the fans on. As John mentioned earlier, Norcold goes into great detail about venting of their units. Look at your Norcold Installation Manual. It has drawings in the back of the manual for the venting and flue.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

SCVJeff – I'm having a tiny bit of a problem visualizing from which angle you were able to snap such great pictures. Is the first one taken with the fridge pulled forward into the coach so I am looking at the inside of the coach wall/fridge venting with the refrigerator removed? And, how in the world did you take the lower picture. I hope it was once again with the refrigerator removed from its enclosure. Just please confirm you pulled the unit out.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

When we first had the fridge problem, we had our dealer, Lichtsinn (we have also had great success with them!), check it out. They found that both fans were bad and replaced them. Naturally, we figured all was well after that, but ran into continued issues at times. That is when we decided to touch base with Winnebago and they suggested the baffle. I am not sure what the proper venting might be, but this is certainly a great improvement.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

The proper venting would be having a vent in the roof, not the side of the slide. However, I don't think that is possible. It would be like taking your fireplace chimmney and capping the top, then cutting a hole in the side and hoping that it would draw. The results would be disasterous.

In an attempt to help the venting on my slide mounted unit, I added two computer fans at the top of my fridge cabinet pointed outward towards the vent holes in the top outside vent. I used a 90 degree thermostatic "snap disk" to activate the fans. When the cabinet reaches 90+ degrees the fans kick on and help to blow the hot air out of the back of the vent. It has helped a lot, but is still not perfect. I think I will look into adding the baffle to see if that helps as well. I already have a fan mounted in the center of the cooling tubes that pulls the air up past the coils.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote